Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 6, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #2,371 of 6,473

Raspberry Pi 2 as source was clearly superior than MacBook Pro and X7

Awesome gear there!

Just to know, have you done an ABX test? Otherwise the comparison is pretty much useless. 

Literally there's no way the difference in voltage that 1s and 0s represent arrive in other way unless your house is a huge transformer. They arrive or they don't. Other thing is that you could have a jitter problem between some of the sources listed there and the DAC receivers.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #2,373 of 6,473

Raspberry Pi 2 as source was clearly superior than MacBook Pro and X7

Awesome gear there!

Just to know, have you done an ABX test? Otherwise the comparison is pretty much useless. 

Literally there's no way the difference in voltage that 1s and 0s represent arrive in other way unless your house is a huge transformer. They arrive or they don't. Other thing is that you could have a jitter problem between some of the sources listed there and the DAC receivers.

No scientific tests here. Just me, my brother and a friend. All of us agreed the Pi 2 was the best source, the darker background and more solid imaging were quite easily noticeable. But as always, take head-fi with a grain of salt. Pi 2 is a 50 bucks investment, set it up, hide it behind your DAC and forget all about it, use your phone to control your play, simple, neat and nice. I whole heartedly recommend it.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #2,374 of 6,473
Remember kids, if you possess a degree in something, you are granted full access to everyone else's perceptions of all things, sound/music/art/beauty, and so on.

"Just because you think you know does not mean you do [...]" - hmm, good advice.

Perceptions are highly biased. A computer isn't that much.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #2,375 of 6,473
Remember kids, if you possess a degree in something, you are granted full access to everyone else's perceptions of all things, sound/music/art/beauty, and so on.

"Just because you think you know does not mean you do [...]" - hmm, good advice.

Uhhhh... no.

If you possess a degree in something, you understand the actual theory, background, and implementation of that subject (at least in this case).

Because something is PHYSICALLY not capable of something in a scientific manner, it therefore negates a lay person and his/her family from claiming that subjective differences exist.

Science dictates that better USB cables = better sounds is much like faith healing = real cure for real diseases.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #2,376 of 6,473
My post was in reference to the listener... you know, the point of all this.  Speaking of which, this music isn't gonna listen to itself.

So, Jotunheim.  Good amp, huh?

Addendum:

If you possess a degree in something, you understand the actual theory, background, and implementation of that subject (at least in this case).

And yet, the individual who was foaming at the mouth, attacking others, and who was so desperate to be right, failed to know how USB audio transmission actually worked.  If someone wants to spend x, y, or z on this, that, or the other in this hobby, why lose sleep over it?

My point was meant to be a reminder that we're all having our own subjective experience here.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #2,377 of 6,473

No scientific tests here. Just me, my brother and a friend. All of us agreed the Pi 2 was the best source, the darker background and more solid imaging were quite easily noticeable. But as always, take head-fi with a grain of salt. Pi 2 is a 50 bucks investment, set it up, hide it behind your DAC and forget all about it, use your phone to control your play, simple, neat and nice. I whole heartedly recommend it.

Thanks for the nice answer despite I'm questioning your method. People get salty so easily these days.

"No scientific tests here". That's the problem. When you do a comparison based on your perception alone leads to nothing unless is something super obvious. Our brain is capable of doing awesome things, but it's very easy to trick it as well.

It's not only that you believe you are hearing differences, you are actually experiencing them, but that feeling is created by the brain and only your brain. Don't underestimate the placebo effect.

An ABX test is the most basic you can do to at least state with some authority that there's an actual difference. Sorry, I don't trust your perception, neither mine.

By the way, I'm interested in building a Pi stream machine as well, any resources to do so?

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #2,379 of 6,473
I want to use my PQ1R as a server for an external DAC when at home (Schiit Mobi multibit DAC). I bought the cable shown below but not sure if it will work. I also don't know how to make the external DAC communicate with the QP1R via TOSLINK digital. Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #2,380 of 6,473
If your PQ1R or QP1R or whatever it is has a mini optical output then this should work fine. 
If not then back to the drawing board. 

The non-mini end should work in your Schiit.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #2,382 of 6,473
Just got my Jot guys, and wondering what volume you guys are listening in, my setup is using the DPX1 to the Jot Dac then listening with the HD800S. Volume pot is on 10 o clock in playing cd quality files, i need to raise it to 11(even raising it to 12 on some recordings) when listening to 24/192 hdr vinyl rips to get to my listening level. This is on high gain and using balanced.

Just curious since it is stated that the Jot has so much power int it, and maybe its my hearing so chime in guys

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #2,383 of 6,473
  Just got my Jot guys, and wondering what volume you guys are listening in, my setup is using the DPX1 to the Jot Dac then listening with the HD800S. Volume pot is on 10 o clock in playing cd quality files, i need to raise it to 11(even raising it to 12 on some recordings) when listening to 24/192 hdr vinyl rips to get to my listening level. This is on high gain and using balanced.

Just curious since it is stated that the Jot has so much power int it, and maybe its my hearing so chime in guys

Single ended has only about a third of the power of balanced. 2500mw compared to 7500mw.  That said 2500mw is more than enough for most headphones.

On single ended cans I am at similar volume levels.  Somewhere between 10-12 on high gain...

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #2,384 of 6,473
My post was in reference to the listener... you know, the point of all this.  Speaking of which, this music isn't gonna listen to itself.

So, Jotunheim.  Good amp, huh?

Addendum:

And yet, the individual who was foaming at the mouth, attacking others, and who was so desperate to be right, failed to know how USB audio transmission actually worked.  If someone wants to spend x, y, or z on this, that, or the other in this hobby, why lose sleep over it?

My point was meant to be a reminder that we're all having our own subjective experience here.

I don't think you understood that conversation if that was your take away.

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #2,385 of 6,473

Between 10 n 1 usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back