Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 23, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,246 of 6,472
The 800s are supposed to be one of those cans that scale to infinity. So as your gear gets better they just keep improving. They are one of those cans that are probably good to keep around even if you don't listen to them much because they will come in handy down the road when you can afford better gear. But apparently the Jot is one of those amps. Schiit also has a 15 day return policy in case it doesn't work out.

If you Google search "best amps for HD800" you will get plenty of results. Being unable to audition amps simply means you have to do a lot more research, but I find that part of the process fun.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,247 of 6,472
I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself here... But are expensive cables needed for balanced?

The whole point of balanced connection is to reduce the RF noise susceptibility (especially for the long runs). I assume that would automatically reduce the cable shielding requirements hence decreasing the manufacturing costs.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,248 of 6,472
Does anyone know when and if this might be ordered on Amazon.com? I've got a gift card I'd love to use on this purchase. I understand they are backordered, so I guess it might be awhile before they are sold on Amazon.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,249 of 6,472

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself here... But are expensive cables needed for balanced?

The whole point of balanced connection is to reduce the RF noise susceptibility (especially for the long runs). I assume that would automatically reduce the cable shielding requirements hence decreasing the manufacturing costs.

That's the theory for "traditional" balanced. For headphone cables, "balanced" generally means no shared common in the cable. Traditional balanced cables don't have a common and hot, but have a positive and a negative and a ground. In a single ended set up, all the current runs through the hot. In a balanced set up, half runs through the pos, and half (the opposite) through the neg. Basically, the goal is to get rid of a common ground, which has very positive results (pun intended :) 

Balanced headphones per se are just the output a (hopefully) well designed, fully balanced amplifier. They aren't about reducing EMI, which is what balanced interconnects are for.

Good article here:

https://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #1,250 of 6,472
  Does anyone know when and if this might be ordered on Amazon.com? I've got a gift card I'd love to use on this purchase. I understand they are backordered, so I guess it might be awhile before they are sold on Amazon.

Probably not a high priority for Schiit to have it listed on Amazon. In fact, Jason's first chapter is titled: The Trials and Tribulations of Amazon

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/4695

Maybe try contacting Schiit customer service to have it listed for you? You could use your gift card but most likely the price on Amazon will be higher than from Schiit direct. From Jason: "Which is why you’re going to be seeing some changes on how we sell on Amazon. Expect higher prices, beginning now. The lowest price you’ll pay will be via our site—every time. If you want the convenience of purchasing via Amazon, there will be an incremental cost involved."

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #1,251 of 6,472
HD800s sounds nothing like that to me... probably the amp. Personally I really enjoy the Jot balanced with those HP's.

Good to know...would like to try balanced as well as step up my SS amp capability. Just confirming do you have the HD800 or the HD800S? Also, did you go with Senn cable or aftermarket?

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #1,253 of 6,472

HD800s come with a really good balanced cable. And cables are "low in the food chain" after phones, amp, room you'll have your set up in, DAC, etc IMO

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,254 of 6,472

HD800s come with a really good balanced cable. And cables are "low in the food chain" after phones, amp, room you'll have your set up in, DAC, etc IMO

I assume for "room" you are referring to noise levels in the room? I would imagine the room acoustics aren't that important for headphone use. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,256 of 6,472
Has anyone compared a Jot to a Magni2U? Aside from balanced what's the advantage?

Also if going SE out from Bimby into SE Jot and then balanced headphone out from Jot do you get the higher power output from the Jot?

A. Comparing specs on the mfg website, the single end is a bit stronger and cleaner. Balanced is a LOT stronger. 

2. yes

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,259 of 6,472

Thanks...am assuming you got the newer, HD800S then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back