Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 23, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #1,265 of 6,472
Book smart vs. Street smart

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #1,266 of 6,472
If Jot doesn't outperform Magni 2 I'm returning it. I've had Magni 2 and I know its shortcomings. I make informed decisions about what to buy from people whos opinions I trust. It has nothing to do with hype.

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,267 of 6,472
How do you know you don't have one? :p  

Good etiquette on headfi is indeed own a piece of gear (or somehow spend significant time with it) before you provide guidance on it to others. Also, specifics of why it is better, not just stating it is better, is required. I still don't think the op question is answered.

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #1,268 of 6,472
Has anyone compared a Jot to a Magni2U? Aside from balanced what's the advantage?

Also if going SE out from Bimby into SE Jot and then balanced headphone out from Jot do you get the higher power output from the Jot?

The advantage is that the Jot eats it for breakfast. Sold my Magni 2U this week- impressive for the money, but it's still a $150 minature amp, and can't work miracles. The Jot is cleaner, faster, more powerful and more flexible. It's not even close, especially if you're one of those HD650-using proles like me. That snappy textured bass performance on its own is worth the price of admission- something that I always found the Magni 2I struggled with. However, you'll notice a lot more than that once your ears get used to it.

You get the higher power out from balanced no matter what your input method is. You can go SE-SE, BAL-BAL, BAL-SE or SE-BAL without problems, on the Jot. The output power comes from the amp, not from the input. According to atomicbob's measurements of the Jot, things will always be a bit cleaner with more balanced involved, but the differences are really minimal. They didn't noticeably cut corners.

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,269 of 6,472
Jot is a much better amp than M2U. That's the advantage.

Maybe someone who's owned should answer that question?

No offense Colt you are on these Schiit threads all day giving advice on products you haven't owned or maybe haven't even heard... Too many of your posts contain the word "supposed"... as in you don't personally know... your just repeating stuff you read...

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,270 of 6,472
Good to know...would like to try balanced as well as step up my SS amp capability. Just confirming do you have the HD800 or the HD800S? Also, did you go with Senn cable or aftermarket?

Hd800s which includes the balanced... A very capable cable but very long for my needs.

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #1,271 of 6,472
An unsolicited thought from a non-audiophile.

The HD800s using a balanced cable with the Jot, gives me a bit of a headache.  I'm not familiar with the correct terminology, but high notes from some instruments are so...harsh?  grating?  Even at lower volumes, Keiko Matsui, Lindsey Stirling, Yanni, Parker, Garrett, Foster, some older stuff like Thelonius, Coltrane, Ellington, Tatum, Yamanaka, even Flanagan and Hargrove (who are to me the same type of volume and energy as Matsui), can sorta be hard to listen to.  And classical, almost all of it is too much for me to listen to.  Classical solo stuff is easy, like some piano or cello solos, but anything symphony gives me a headache super fast.

I'm listening mostly to Beyer T1, which...at first, I couldn't tell why I liked them...but the more I listen, the most I get it.  it's just more...."active" at lower volumes.  On some percussion stuff, I can sorta feel as much as hear (that's a lame description, probably).  It's the most...."hear every little detail" of the bunch except the er-4s, but it's a lot more "energetic" at lower volume of the bunch.

The other headphones I have sound... "muted" a good word?  uninteresting?  not muddy.  just...less...uhh....ugh...I don't know how to explain it right.  "less interesting" is the only thing that comes to mind.  The Fostex Tr80/250 doesn't feel, even? flat/ consistent from low to high?  bass or low stuff is louder and mid and high stuff (vocals to flute to violin etc.) feel less, prominent.  Also have this funny cheap pair called Sharkk Bravo, which is sometimes easier to listen to when I'm really tired, though a little hard to hear as much stuff as the T1, the fact that everything sorta blends together is sometimes easier to listen to, especially with chris botti type smooth jazz (last hour or two of the business day kind of music).  Ety er-4s never sounded so good to me, though it seems a notch less...interesting, than the T1.  The ATH-M50X, which I don't own but have been borrowing (loan trade, hehe) for a while, is great, though, like the HD800s starts to "hurt" is the wrong word "make me wince" on some notes.

I'll learn the correct terminology and match it better to what I hear one of these days.

Anyway, figured this was an impressions thread, so might as well.  I work from home, so have one or the other headphone on pretty much all day.

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #1,272 of 6,472

I assume for "room" you are referring to noise levels in the room? I would imagine the room acoustics aren't that important for headphone use. 

You assume correctly and I couldn't disagree with you more. When I have a pair of open backed HP's on and I'm listening to music unless of course it's turned up to a very high level and sometimes even than the TV definitely can interfere. We have a room with surround and one with a sound bar that In the past I've "competed with" (meaning turning it up louder to drown out the noise) whilst listening to my HP's.
Hence one of the primary reasons The Man Cave was invented! :)

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,273 of 6,472
Thanks...am assuming you got the newer, HD800S then?

Yup, sold my LCD 2's and waited awhile to hear some feedback before I purchased the HD800s's.

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,274 of 6,472

I assume for "room" you are referring to noise levels in the room? I would imagine the room acoustics aren't that important for headphone use. 

You assume correctly and I couldn't disagree with you more. When I have a pair of open backed HP's on and I'm listening to music unless of course it's turned up to a very high level and sometimes even than the TV definitely can interfere. We have a room with surround and one with a sound bar that In the past I've "competed with" (meaning turning it up louder to drown out the noise) whilst listening to my HP's.
Hence one of the primary reasons The Man Cave was invented! :)

I didn't mean to confuse room acoustics with background noise. Sorry.
Clearly external noise can affect headphone enjoyment. The quieter the room, the better. I finally got my wife to use headphones (beyerdynamic DT-770) when she watches TV and Im listening via headphones. She finally gets it.

Room acoustics refers to standing waves, reflections and such in a room. Generally one cares about those when optimizing a room for speakers, but I can't see how that would affect headphone usage. 

Quiet room, yes
Bass traps and room treatments, for headphones, I don't think so.

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,275 of 6,472
  An unsolicited thought from a non-audiophile.

The HD800s using a balanced cable with the Jot, gives me a bit of a headache.  I'm not familiar with the correct terminology, but high notes from some instruments are so...harsh?  grating?  Even at lower volumes, Keiko Matsui, Lindsey Stirling, Yanni, Parker, Garrett, Foster, some older stuff like Thelonius, Coltrane, Ellington, Tatum, Yamanaka, even Flanagan and Hargrove (who are to me the same type of volume and energy as Matsui), can sorta be hard to listen to.  And classical, almost all of it is too much for me to listen to.  Classical solo stuff is easy, like some piano or cello solos, but anything symphony gives me a headache super fast.

I'm listening mostly to Beyer T1, which...at first, I couldn't tell why I liked them...but the more I listen, the most I get it.  it's just more...."active" at lower volumes.  On some percussion stuff, I can sorta feel as much as hear (that's a lame description, probably).  It's the most...."hear every little detail" of the bunch except the er-4s, but it's a lot more "energetic" at lower volume of the bunch.

The other headphones I have sound... "muted" a good word?  uninteresting?  not muddy.  just...less...uhh....ugh...I don't know how to explain it right.  "less interesting" is the only thing that comes to mind.  The Fostex Tr80/250 doesn't feel, even? flat/ consistent from low to high?  bass or low stuff is louder and mid and high stuff (vocals to flute to violin etc.) feel less, prominent.  Also have this funny cheap pair called Sharkk Bravo, which is sometimes easier to listen to when I'm really tired, though a little hard to hear as much stuff as the T1, the fact that everything sorta blends together is sometimes easier to listen to, especially with chris botti type smooth jazz (last hour or two of the business day kind of music).  Ety er-4s never sounded so good to me, though it seems a notch less...interesting, than the T1.  The ATH-M50X, which I don't own but have been borrowing (loan trade, hehe) for a while, is great, though, like the HD800s starts to "hurt" is the wrong word "make me wince" on some notes.

I'll learn the correct terminology and match it better to what I hear one of these days.

Anyway, figured this was an impressions thread, so might as well.  I work from home, so have one or the other headphone on pretty much all day.

You definitely have a right to your own opinion/impressions. But what I didn't hear you mention was what other amps/dacs to you use? Are you content with the HD800s as a whole or just don't like them with the Jot? It sounds as if you don't like the Jot at all in which case you could return them within the 15 days or if that's past possibly put them up for sale here... I'm sure you'll get some interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back