Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 6, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #616 of 6,469
Jodie's pivot point technology implemented to drive speakers would be great.

I am waiting patiently to RMAF and Schiit showing off good ol' 2-channel stuff or maybe (I wish) revamped Rag!

Hopefully driving Salk Song 3 speakers too.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #617 of 6,469
I straight up asked Schiit if they plan on releasing a digital coax DAC module, and they said no. So there.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #618 of 6,469
  If you're using SE preouts, you can put a SYS after the preouts

I'm considering that... I've been using XLR for my monitors and would ideally keep it that way. I might go the remote-outlet-route.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #619 of 6,469
Got to spend a little bit of head time on Sunday with the m9XX and the Joty head to head.  And the results were more or less as you'd expect.  Joty is very clearly a more capable amp than the m9XX.  It's not night and day, but the difference is there.  A bit more dynamic.  However, the DAC on the m9XX was a bit better, IMHO.  Both units sound to me very neutral.  The m9XX is maybe a smidge smoother, and the Joty a bit more detailed, but that difference is fairly miniscule.  I'd say they're very similar units on the whole tonality wise, just with different capabilities.  I still love the crossfeed capabilities of the m9XX, and not needing a wall wart can be a plus for the m9XX in certain situations.

Overall, I'd say if you need amping versatility, go with the Jotenheim; it can drive everything from IEMs to the HE6 well.  It may not be the best amp in the world for every headphone, but it will acquit itself well with anything you throw at it.  If you have exclusively medium to easy to drive single ended headphones, go with the m9XX, as the better DAC will shine, and it has more features and more versatility use wise.  

I think of the Joty as a near TOTL desktop amp that has a capable DAC slapped on.  I think of the m9XX as a transportable all in one solution.  They serve different needs to me, although their use cases can overlap.  

While it might seem that I have poo-pooed the DAC on the Joty, it is a very good DAC, and CERTAINLY worth the $100.  Unless you are a vinyl person, I would absolutely bet the built in DAC with it, just so you could use it for those times when maybe you're gonna spend some time at a hotel, and don't want to carry a ton of extra stuff.  It's not like the ODAC, which makes me cringe for something better.  It's maybe a smidge better than the DAC in the regular Modi.  

I think of it like the m9XX is a $500 DAC with a $200 amp and the Joty is a $550 amp with a $150 DAC.  Both I think are still great values, just depends on what you need/want.  I personally don't need the Joty, so despite the temptation I probably won't get one, but I love that Schiit is making it, as hopefully it really brings some of these competing manufacturers to realize the need they have to step their game up or be relegated to irrelevance.  

Schiit is really bringing the thunder with their last 2 offerings (Joty and MoMBy) and hopefully disrupting the market, similarly to how Apple did with the original iPhone.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #621 of 6,469
If you get the joti with the Dac can you bypass the Dac section and still use your own Dac?

Oh yes! There's a switch on the front, that you can use to select the internal DAC, or the balanced inputs, or the single ended inputs. I was running mimby though the single ended inputs this weekend, it sounds really good!! I wish I had gumby or Yggy to try with the balanced inputs. Also, the internal DAC is pretty decent itself, a capable "pinch hitter" as it where.

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #622 of 6,469
   1) Don't drink and post, you maniac! 
eek.gif

2) Ok, this is a stupid question, but can you get away with stacking the Mimby on top of the Jotu, as long as you stay clear of any vents? I know it sounds trivial, but some of us are trivial people.. Could you give it a go, and maybe report back if temps were OK, and everything was happy? A picture or two would really help too, as I can't visualise it..

(Obviously the DAC is normally underneath, but it wouldn't work out in this case.. and I do love a neat stack!)

I know, lol. At least I didn't post anything silly I hope. I did stack them on top of one another, and it seems like it would be ok. They both get pretty hot though. I don't think I'll have to stack them, when I hook them up permanently though. In fact, I want to pair them with at least gumbys at some point, and they'll be in different places on a shelf. I saw some people already posted pics of the mimby and Jotu together, I assume you've already seen them.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #624 of 6,469
  How does this compare to the Modi2U/Magni2U Schiit stack?

From others, as mine isn't here yet:

Jodie has:
  1. Similar DAC performance to the Modi 2
  2. Only USB input compared to Modi 2 Uber
  3. Balanced and single-ended inputs and outputs, VS Magni 2 only having SE.
  4. Better (sound quality) and more powerful (especially balanced) than the Magni 2.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #625 of 6,469

From others, as mine isn't here yet:

Jodie has:
  1. Similar DAC performance to the Modi 2
  2. Only USB input compared to Modi 2 Uber
  3. Balanced and single-ended inputs and outputs, VS Magni 2 only having SE.
  4. Better (sound quality) and more powerful (especially balanced) than the Magni 2.

Wow, definitely seems enticing. I might sell mine off and upgrade. Based on everything I've seen it's quite a good value.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #626 of 6,469
Anyone know if the modules are user-installable and -swappable? I can't seem to find any indication of what their plans are. It seems ambiguous to me, but the website says: 

In the future, you’ll be able to easily upgrade to a different module...

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #627 of 6,469
  Anyone know if the modules are user-installable and -swappable? I can't seem to find any indication of what their plans are. It seems ambiguous to me, but the website says: 

They're like their DAC cards, "No user serviceable parts inside" and all that. If you take liability and are careful about it, though? Yeah, you'll probably be able to swap it out yourself.

Also, they've said they'll have the cards available for separate purchase eventually, but first step is probably shipping out all the initial orders.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #628 of 6,469

See Jason's reply here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/12405#post_12821343

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #629 of 6,469
I purchased an expensive Audioquest Carbon USB cable a few years ago because I thought a good quality cable was necessary. I had it connected from an iMac into an original Modi for 3 years or so and it did indeed sound good with absolutely no noise or interference issues necessitating something like a Wyrd. I recently purchased a Modi Multibit and thought "Ah, now I can try a Toslink cable". So I used a decent quality Audioquest one I had laying around and found both cables sound identical. I'll keep listening with the Toslink as the primary input but also do some occasional comparisons.

Well it seems that I must retract what I said yesterday about the USB versus Toslink cables/connections from my iMac to the Modi MB.  I have been listening to various music all day with the Toslink and occasionally flipping to the USB connection and I must say that the Toslink connection definitely sounds more expansive with better bass punch.  Mind you it's not night and day different but audibly noticeable if a fair amount of comparison time is taken.

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #630 of 6,469

I purchased an expensive Audioquest Carbon USB cable a few years ago because I thought a good quality cable was necessary. I had it connected from an iMac into an original Modi for 3 years or so and it did indeed sound good with absolutely no noise or interference issues necessitating something like a Wyrd. I recently purchased a Modi Multibit and thought "Ah, now I can try a Toslink cable". So I used a decent quality Audioquest one I had laying around and found both cables sound identical. I'll keep listening with the Toslink as the primary input but also do some occasional comparisons.

Well it seems that I must retract what I said yesterday about the USB versus Toslink cables/connections from my iMac to the Modi MB.  I have been listening to various music all day with the Toslink and occasionally flipping to the USB connection and I must say that the Toslink connection definitely sounds more expansive with better bass punch.  Mind you it's not night and day different but audibly noticeable if a fair amount of comparison time is taken.

I'm very curious about this, so I forked the question of "how can this be" to the Sound Science forum, so I don't derail this thread. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/819447/can-using-toslink-have-more-bass-than-usb

Please reply there and not here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back