Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 5, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #586 of 6,472
I don't think the minor pops/clicks when switching input source will be a problem. I haven't tried it with external monitors but with headphones it's not very noticeable at all and I wouldn't anticipate it being an issue for anyone.

The main thing to remember is not to crank up the volume when turning on the Jodie until it has fully started, it's definitely not instant.

Yeah the pop sound whenever turning on my Vali2 or Magni2Ü is a hassle.

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #587 of 6,472
 Modi Multibit > SYS > Jotunheim

I propose JoMimby (Yo-Mimby) as the official designation of that combination :)

So has anyone compared this multibit DAC input VS the DAC available within the Jotunheim?  I know you have two pieces of equipment with the Modi and Jodi, but does it sound noticeably better that the Jodi with the DAC within.  Looks to be about the same total price

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #588 of 6,472
After reading all the Schiit here, I went to the dealer in Taipei to listen to the various Schiit available. They paired HD800s with the Rag and it was really really enjoyable. Even with the 800, there is not too much of the harsh high. So after pondering over the weekend, I finally ordered my own Jotunheim to pair with my HD650 at the office. Right now I run Apogee Groove directly from my MBP to drive the 650, which is more than 12 years old.

Looking forward to run the Jotunheim from my MBP to drive the 650!

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #589 of 6,472

I use a Valhalla 2 and use it as a PreAmp. First With Monitors but now with a Power Amp and passive Speakers. No popping once It is on. My power amp is on with in a minute of turning on the Valhalla 2 and Its silent by then. Have you tried swapping the tubes out? Our contacted Schiit, That's not normal.   I Usually Power on all sources and pre amp before the power amp, So I never hear any of the initial popping. (Force Of habit of at least 25+ years of using 2 channel gear I guess) 

That's a good habit, can't imagine why anyone would do it differently.

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #590 of 6,472

I use a Valhalla 2 and use it as a PreAmp. First With Monitors but now with a Power Amp and passive Speakers. No popping once It is on. My power amp is on with in a minute of turning on the Valhalla 2 and Its silent by then. Have you tried swapping the tubes out? Our contacted Schiit, That's not normal.   I Usually Power on all sources and pre amp before the power amp, So I never hear any of the initial popping. (Force Of habit of at least 25+ years of using 2 channel gear I guess) 

I didn't swap tubes as I didn't have another set to try. I did contact schiit about the issue and they said that some pops were normal.
After one or two mistakes I started to turn my system in from dac -> Valhalla -> power amp, but as I started hearing pops and even seeing the woofers excursion during no music reproduction and way after the warm up time, I decided to sell the Valhalla.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #591 of 6,472
Sep 5, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #592 of 6,472

Yeah price is pretty much the only new stuff, but it seems many people downplay/forget the preamp feature. I imagine there are many people at home and studios with decend dac and speakers itching to get this in between. Show me another xlr in, xlr out active preamp under $400 (even without balanced headamp as a bonus)? There's some crap like SPL Volume 2 and that's about it. If I wouldn't have my NFB-1AMP already (which is pretty stellar for $520 I have to say), pretty sure I would consider the smaller footprint Jotty hard.

Hi

I'm interested to know why you consider the SPL Volume 2 to not be very good? Do you have personal experience with it?

I managed to pick one up for cheap, but haven't tried it yet because my DAC is away for repair.

I know that the SPL Volume 2 has op-amps in it which I imagine would color the sound (perhaps only slightly)? I don't believe the Jotty has any op-amps in the signal path, would it therefore be correct to hypothesize that it is more transparent than the SPL Volume 2?

Could the Jotty pre-amp be comparable to a passive pre-amp (such as the Goldpoint SA1X) with regards to transparency and not coloring the output from a DAC?

Many thanks

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #593 of 6,472

First off, I ain't no @jude so he cares to chime in, I humbly step aside. 
redface.gif

I've just moved from the m9XX to the Jodie. imo (very humbly!!), the DAC is at least as good as the Grace. But the amp section is much, much better! I'd vote that you get the Jodie and upgrade the DAC as your wallet (and ears) allow. hope that helps.

Thanks!  Definitely helps (although I will be waiting for couple additional m9xx vs. Jodie comparisons)...

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #595 of 6,472
  So after a couple days with the Jody I would like to give some more impressions.

Windows 10 > Foobar2k > USB > Modi Multibit > SYS > Jotunheim > Custom Balanced Senn Cable > HD650

HOLY SMOKES this amp just keeps getting better the more I listen to it. YYZ is one of my favorite songs to check gear with, as the frequency and dynamic range is pretty amazing. Geddy Lees bass guitar, from start to end, might as well have been its own channel in a surround sound system, it was that distinct from the rest of the track. I've never heard songs with such clarity and separation before. That's really why I love this amp so much. I'm assuming that most of this is the work of the Modi Multibit, and the Jody allowing it to shine through with amazing detail.

The soundstage seems massive, and the way each instrument is presented so clearly from everything else just adds to that feeling of air.

Aside: The last few days I have been having an issue where my audio would sometimes have a small blip every few minutes. I didn't have this problem until I installed Equalizer APO, and even after uninstalling it the issue still persisted so I'm honestly not sure what the problem is/was. Messing with the buffer in foobar didnt help. Wasapi and ASIO made it a bit better but during the day I like to switch between videos and music regularly so those weren't working for me. Anyway last night I installed the anniversary update to windows 10 and BAM! no more problems.

Apologies for my ignorance, but what purpose does the SYS serve?  volume control?  
If so - why not control the volume through Windows / Foobar?

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #596 of 6,472
  The Jotunheim, Bimby and Lyr,

What cables are you using for connecting Bimby to Jodie?  Schiit $20 RCA cables? 

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #597 of 6,472
  Apologies for my ignorance, but what purpose does the SYS serve?  volume control?  

You can flip DAC outputs with SYS and SYS gives negligible/inaudible distortion to analog signal if any while digital volume control leads to a "not bitperfect" stream.

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #598 of 6,472

SYS is just used in reverse as a passive switch between my speaker and headphone amps.

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #599 of 6,472
My question in its simplest form: 
What's better, balanced, base-Gungnir to Jodie, or SE multibit modi to Jodie?

For context, I'm getting ready to purchase the Jotunheim and currently have the Gungnir, but it's the "entry-level" Gungnir. If I sold the Gungnir, it would fund the purchase of the Jodie and a Mimby, but I can't tell if it's a step forward or backward on the DAC-front.

Sorry if this seems off-topic, but there's a lot of Schiitheads in here and I'm wondering this specifically as it pertains to Jodie. Thanks! 
wink_face.gif

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #600 of 6,472
My question in its simplest form: 
What's better, balanced, base-Gungnir to Jodie, or SE multibit modi to Jodie?

For context, I'm getting ready to purchase the Jotunheim and currently have the Gungnir, but it's the "entry-level" Gungnir. If I sold the Gungnir, it would fund the purchase of the Jodie and a Mimby, but I can't tell if it's a step forward or backward on the DAC-front.

Sorry if this seems off-topic, but there's a lot of Schiitheads in here and I'm wondering this specifically as it pertains to Jodie. Thanks! :wink_face:

If it was me, I'd buy the Jodie, and send in the Gungnir for the multibit and USB upgrades. The mimby is awesome, but I wish I had a gumby or Yggy, and could hook in with balanced cords. I'm very interested in reading what others with all 3 would have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back