Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 5, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #601 of 6,472
Hello everyone.

I was reading this thread whole weekend but couldn't find any comparison with Lyr2. I want to buy a good amp or Dac/amp for my LCD 2F and have no idea which one to choice(for now I'm using my fiio x7). I have zero chances to see or try any Schiit product. What do you guys think? is it more reasonable to buy Lyr2 with LISST or   Jotunheim with dac?
Thanks with any help.

P/S/ I also contacted Schiit with this question but they told that this schiit.com/about/principles

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #602 of 6,472
If it was me, I'd buy the Jodie, and send in the Gungnir for the multibit and USB upgrades. The mimby is awesome, but I wish I had a gumby or Yggy, and could hook in with balanced cords. I'm very interested in reading what others with all 3 would have to say.

I would certainly love to do that... but that $500 multibit upgrade is a no-go for now. And I misspoke... mine has the Gen2 USB. 

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #603 of 6,472
Hello everyone.

I was reading this thread whole weekend but couldn't find any comparison with Lyr2. I want to buy a good amp or Dac/amp for my LCD 2F and have no idea which one to choice(for now I'm using my fiio x7). I have zero chances to see or try any Schiit product. What do you guys think? is it more reasonable to buy Lyr2 with LISST or   Jotunheim with dac?
Thanks with any help.

P/S/ I also contacted Schiit with this question but they told that this [COLOR=1155CC]schiit.com/about/principles[/COLOR]

Will you be using IEM's or just headphones? If you are going to be using sensitive IEM's and headphones I would go with the Jodie. I have both AMPs but don't use the LISST so I can't really compare the two used as solid state. Using the Lyr with tubes, they are very different amps, and it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #604 of 6,472
If you're looking for an amp that can work with a large variety of headphones and even very sensitive IEMs, then Jodie is probably the better option.  You don't say if you have a DAC so the Jodie with a DAC module will be better than on board sound.  Or, alternatively, Get just the amp and start saving for one of the multibit DACs.  Jodie gives you the greatest flexibility by offering balanced and single ended inputs/outputs and headphone outs.  

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #605 of 6,472
Thank you for your answers I will use Schhit with my LCD-2F for 90% of time. So my Options are 1. -- Fiio X7 (as a source) + Lyr 2 with stock tubes and/or LISST as a AMP+ LCD-2F or option 2. --- Jonunheim as a DAC and AMP +LCD-2F. In My country Lyr2 with LISST cost same as  Jonunheim shipped from USA so no price difference for me.
Thank you again for your help 

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #606 of 6,472
Would love to hear some actual comparisons between a lyr 2 with tubes vs a Jodie. We know it's personal preference, but can you talk about the actual differences? Lyr 2 might be better for some people with a variety of headphones and no balanced cables.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #607 of 6,472

What cables are you using for connecting Bimby to Jodie?  Schiit $20 RCA cables? 

Yes, I am using Schiit Pyst cables to connect the Lyr to the Jotunheim.  Where I need longer RCA cables I use Straightwire RCA's or XLR's (They also make the Pyst for Schiit)...

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #608 of 6,472
I have the Jotunheim Dac going through my Mjolnir 2 tube amp . It may not be multiunit but boy it sounds really nice. Its a really nice DAC.  The amp needs some more burn in its not really there yet for me. But early impressions very good.  Its a very nice match to my LCD-2 f

Sep 6, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #611 of 6,472
Placing the order today! Excited for my first balanced amp. Going to convert my HD650 and will use my DS Gungnir USB Gen2 until I can afford the MB upgrade.

Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to handle the non-muting preouts...

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #614 of 6,472
After several hours of listening to this amp with balanced out to HEK, I'm glad I passed on the Liquid Carbon. Grace m9XX will likely become paper weight.

Given that the LC is a little warmer than the Jot and the HEK is a bit rolled off at the top end, the Jot/HEX pairing seems pretty smart.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #615 of 6,472
I used my FiiO X5ii coax out into a Bifrost Uber (that I'm considering upgrading...), split into a Lyr (with LISST) and a Valhalla. Would there be a point in me getting a plain Jodie, using it with a Bifrost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back