Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 27, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #136 of 6,473
I´m from Portugal. From where do you advise me to buy schiit products from?
Thank you!!

As am I. My latest purchases over the last year have all been made on schiit-europe.com, the Dutch dealer (with whom I'm in no way affiliated by the way of course), they have a lot of stock and if they happen to not the they restock fast too, never had an issue with shipping and the packages tend to take less than a week to arrive after they've sent them over here under normal circumstances. 

Melhores cumprimentos!

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #137 of 6,473
I just ordered and this will be my first Schitt :) Currently using Fireflies and a Opus 1 and Sony Dap. I currently have Ether C's and HD700 cans.
Any suggestions on what you guys will be pairing with the Jotunheim? I'm seriously considering getting the Focal Elear when they become available although unfortunately the Utopias are out of my price range... Thanks.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #138 of 6,473

Thanks for the info, valuable information for all the European customers. Both are recommended by Schiit "USA"? :p Almost pulled the trigger earlier on LC, but shipping, VAT and customs fees just made it too steep.

Happy to help, I've been a fan of Schiit (hurr hurr) for a few years now so I've tried to always keep up with the options they offer for us across the pond here. I'm pretty sure both are official Schiit dealers yea, or at least I know Schiit acknowledges and willingly works with them (just not sure if they describe them as "official dealers" per se) even though there is (as far as I'm aware) no mention of them on Schiit's main website.

I was this close to getting a first run LC but having to deal with customs, both wait time and VAT, is almost always a deal breaker for me unless it's an item I really need to have. Would I like to own the LC to get a taste of Cavalli's house sound for less than 2 grand? Of course, but with it nearing 1k € and like 300 or almost 400 of that being shipping/handling fees, VAT and customs related expenses I couldn't possibly justify buying it over Schiit's Mjolnir 2 for example.

Any suggestions on what you guys will be pairing with the Jotunheim? I'm seriously considering getting the Focal Elear when they become available although unfortunately the Utopias are out of my price range... Thanks.

I'm going to be using the Elear with it as soon as I get my hands on both - which by the looks of things should be some time toward the latter half of September or even start of October, Focal's still working on the EU release for their new headphone line.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #139 of 6,473
I just ordered and this will be my first Schitt :) Currently using Fireflies and a Opus 1 and Sony Dap. I currently have Ether C's and HD700 cans.

What's wrong with what you have?

As for a Multibit module, I dont think there is enough space for one.

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #140 of 6,473

As am I. My latest purchases over the last year have all been made on schiit-europe.com, the Dutch dealer (with whom I'm in no way affiliated by the way of course), they have a lot of stock and if they happen to not the they restock fast too, never had an issue with shipping and the packages tend to take less than a week to arrive after they've sent them over here under normal circumstances. 

Melhores cumprimentos!

Obrigado! :)

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #142 of 6,473
OK. So the Jotunheim is a cool product, but is this the aforementioned "Manhattan project "? If so, I'm a little confused since that was supposed to be an entirely new or different category of product. Just wondering. Congrats Jason and Mike on a cool looking product.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #143 of 6,473
What's wrong with what you have?

As for a Multibit module, I dont think there is enough space for one.

Nothing wrong with what I have at all, although the HD700s I mainly use with a balanced cable with my Opus 1. I'll probably use the Jotunheim  in the bedroom and am always curious to hear new phones.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #146 of 6,473
Not sure if this is the correct thread where you post impressions for the schiit Jothunheim amp/dac but here I go.
Let's start off with what this is. It is an amp, dac, and a pre amp. Not only that but you'll be able to heavily customized this amp/dac to however you want it to. Really nice as this allows you to buy an amp now and then upgrade it later on without having to buy a new amp. Similar to tube rolling but at a much more versatile level of customization. Now you don't have to go out an spend another $2k if you want to upgrade your amp/dac to the next level, a really nice feature.
Now with the design... It's looks like pretty much every other Schiit product you've seen. That's not to say it looks bad at all. No this means you continue to have to all metal construction that looks very simply an elegant. It looks more like something you would use to listen to music with and doesn't end up looking like a science experiment. On the front there's a large volume nob that very easily lets you turn the volume up or down. Other than that there's also a gain switch for high and low impedance cans. There's also a switch that lets you choose which source you want to use. And that's pretty much it for the front, nothing that'll make the amp look sloppy. On the back there's a usb connection, in and out rca connectors, and some xlr connectors I believe?
Finally onto the sound.
I've listened to many schiit amps and dacs and this one definitely stands out. With almost every other schiit product I've heard all I hear is the music and not the amp or the dac. To my ears this amp/dac clearly has some extra character, one that may or may not end up having a positive impression on you. On tracks with lower quantities of bass, say classical or jazz, the music sounds clean and open. Even with closed headphones like the mr speakers ether c, you feel like your listening to full sized speakers rather than closed headphones. Sure the ether c already sound open for a closed headphone. But this amp adds to it. It's strange, but the best way I can put it is that it sounds like a analogue recording without warmth. So you get a sound that doesn't sound compressed and feels more natural. You don't get the usual "forced" sound with this amp. Again this is very pleasant with genres like classical, jazz, and folk.
Moving down to the bass we get something different. With songs that feature primarily mid-bass you get a very strong/quick punch. Even on thicker sounding headphones like the lcd 3, the music overall sound quicker and a tad brighter, not on a negative way however. At last we get to the sub bass and this is where things get interesting. On a song like Lose yourself to dance, you can always here the rumble of the sub bass and it fills and song and adds life to it. When it comes to songs that don't feature continuous bass, there seems to be a lack of rumble each time the bass hits. Its as if someone jumps in the pool at a fast speed yet doesn't make a big splash, if that makes any sense. For the most part you'll get a sound that cleans up your headphones and makes them sound less muddy, you to lose the ability to have deep sub bass rumble with genres like rap or electronic that drop the bass hard. That's just me however, and of course the headphones you use play a large part on the sound. I was however able to listen to the amp/ dac on my headphones and kept hearing the same occurrence.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #147 of 6,473
Not sure if this is the correct thread where you post impressions for the schiit Jothunheim amp/dac but here I go.
Let's start off with what this is. It is an amp, dac, and a pre amp. Not only that but you'll be able to heavily customized this amp/dac to however you want it to. Really nice as this allows you to buy an amp now and then upgrade it later on without having to buy a new amp. Similar to tube rolling but at a much more versatile level of customization. Now you don't have to go out an spend another $2k if you want to upgrade your amp/dac to the next level, a really nice feature.
Now with the design... It's looks like pretty much every other Schiit product you've seen. That's not to say it looks bad at all. No this means you continue to have to all metal construction that looks very simply an elegant. It looks more like something you would use to listen to music with and doesn't end up looking like a science experiment. On the front there's a large volume nob that very easily lets you turn the volume up or down. Other than that there's also a gain switch for high and low impedance cans. There's also a switch that lets you choose which source you want to use. And that's pretty much it for the front, nothing that'll make the amp look sloppy. On the back there's a usb connection, in and out rca connectors, and some xlr connectors I believe?
Finally onto the sound.
I've listened to many schiit amps and dacs and this one definitely stands out. With almost every other schiit product I've heard all I hear is the music and not the amp or the dac. To my ears this amp/dac clearly has some extra character, one that may or may not end up having a positive impression on you. On tracks with lower quantities of bass, say classical or jazz, the music sounds clean and open. Even with closed headphones like the mr speakers ether c, you feel like your listening to full sized speakers rather than closed headphones. Sure the ether c already sound open for a closed headphone. But this amp adds to it. It's strange, but the best way I can put it is that it sounds like a analogue recording without warmth. So you get a sound that doesn't sound compressed and feels more natural. You don't get the usual "forced" sound with this amp. Again this is very pleasant with genres like classical, jazz, and folk.
Moving down to the bass we get something different. With songs that feature primarily mid-bass you get a very strong/quick punch. Even on thicker sounding headphones like the lcd 3, the music overall sound quicker and a tad brighter, not on a negative way however. At last we get to the sub bass and this is where things get interesting. On a song like Lose yourself to dance, you can always here the rumble of the sub bass and it fills and song and adds life to it. When it comes to songs that don't feature continuous bass, there seems to be a lack of rumble each time the bass hits. Its as if someone jumps in the pool at a fast speed yet doesn't make a big splash, if that makes any sense. For the most part you'll get a sound that cleans up your headphones and makes them sound less muddy, you to lose the ability to have deep sub bass rumble with genres like rap or electronic that drop the bass hard. That's just me however, and of course the headphones you use play a large part on the sound. I was however able to listen to the amp/ dac on my headphones and kept hearing the same occurrence.

Thanks for taking the time to type up some impressions...very interesting, anxious to hear for myself!

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #148 of 6,473

I posted my initial impressions in the Schiit show thread, but here they are:

A great show! As you would expect there were a number of Jotunheims available (if fact, I didn't see any other Schiit products at the show), including two with phonostages hooked up to turntables! There were a number of headphones available - I listened to the Audeze LCD-XC, HD800, HD800S, Ether Flow, Ether C (don't know if this was the Flow version), ZMF Omni, Focal Elear and Utopia.

I admire the bravery of the Schiit folks - the Jotunheim is in a way part Bifrost (DAC), Asgard (single-ended amp) and Mjolnir (balanced amp). It's a bit smaller than the Bifrost-sized units and doesn't run nearly as hot as the Asgard 2. The new case design looks very nice and has the same solid build quality as the other Schiit products.

So how did it sound? To my ears it sounded very good and it really let the character of the various headphones come across. Isn't that what a good amp should do? While listening to the Utopia I started getting annoyed that there were someone behind me using a hammer for some kind of building maintenance, until I realized that the sound was coming from the track that I was playing. Well done!

And for those of you who visited the Schiit room at THE Show: The puppy has grown a lot and is very cute and friendly!

Again, thanks to everyone for a great show! We are really living in a golden age for headphone listening and SoCal seems to be ground zero for a lot of exciting products.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #149 of 6,473
OK. So the Jotunheim is a cool product, but is this the aforementioned "Manhattan project "? If so, I'm a little confused since that was supposed to be an entirely new or different category of product. Just wondering. Congrats Jason and Mike on a cool looking product.

Without any knowledge of this product coming out, I saw the announcement today and was actually impressed, not disappointed. At $249, the Asgard 2 is the most expensive solid state amp among the other solid state amps that are cheaper than the Jotunheim - so I would compare it to Jot's $399 amp-only option and $499 amp/DAC option. Asgard 2 is $150 to $250 cheaper. However, for that extra $150 you have several benefits:

1) Balanced output. To me, this is the most obvious and important feature for this price range (under $500) for either an amp or amp/DAC combo from anything else in the market, let alone among just Schiit gear. I've been in the market for an amp with a balanced output. Idk if anyone is like me here, but I only have an O2 amp, which has a 1/4" output but no balanced output (XLR). My HD 800 S came with a balanced cable (XLR) though, so I've been in the market for something to accommodate these lovely headphones. 
smily_headphones1.gif

The list should stop there for telling you why I was impressed off the bat, but I dug into the product specs page and added these on that seem important:

2) Tons more power. Examples for 300 ohms headphones... 
    • Jotenheimer's max power for 300 ohms output is:
      - 900 mW balanced
      - 350 mW single-ended (the 1/4" jack)
   • Asgard 2's max power for 300 ohms output is:
      - 380 mW single-ended (the 1/4" jack)

3) Lower distortion. Lower THD and IMD

4) Quieter when volume is raised? I think I read that somewhere. Same goes for when the gain switch on each device is flipped on.

Thus, my thoughts so far are: The Jotenheim (amp-only) improves sound and provides a balanced output in a price range I have not seen on any other solid state amp in the market. The amp/DAC combo version of Jot only improves the value of the purchase by providing an effective DAC within the same chassis at a very reasonable or even more than reasonable $100 more. Add onto the above points with nice aesthetic choices such as a volume knob that also serves as the power switch (when you turn up the volume from zero) and you have a product that is a king of value.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #150 of 6,473

I seriously doubt it. Jason has consistently referred to the "Manhattan Project" as Mike's thing whereas the Jotunheim seems to be almost exclusively Jason's design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back