Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 22, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,203 of 6,473
  Would a switch be a possible solution? Not sure if there's one designed for this situation; dual mini xlr headphones -> balanced XLR -> switch -> (1) 6.3mm (2) balanced XLR. Maybe a passive dual cable if one exists in this configuration?

I don´t think there is a switch for this situation, so you would have to build one for yourself. A passive cable without a switch would not work because for the SE connector you have to connect the two - signal wires from the left and right side. This would not allow proper balanced operation. I still think the easiest way is the adaptor, it should not degrade sound quality with proper higher quality connectors.

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #1,204 of 6,473
  I don´t think there is a switch for this situation, so you would have to build one for yourself. A passive cable without a switch would not work because for the SE connector you have to connect the two - signal wires from the left and right side. This would not allow proper balanced operation. I still think the easiest way is the adaptor, it should not degrade sound quality with proper higher quality connectors.

Ah, well I guess I could just get one of these if it comes down to it.
https://www.amazon.com/6-35mm-Female-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B00KQRN306

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,206 of 6,473

Ah, well I guess I could just get one of these if it comes down to it.
https://www.amazon.com/6-35mm-Female-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter/dp/B00KQRN306

Many of us that DIY have made those. I use one. Cost is about $10-15 depending on connectors and cable. $25 for a pre-made one isn't too bad if DIY is not your thing or you don't know a DIYer.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #1,207 of 6,473
  I have a love hate relationship with Schiit at the moment, I love the Modi Multibit and I hate the Magni 2 Uber (that thing is a mess down low).

But I am going to wait until Mark @ Schiit UK get's some more Jot's in and give it a fair try, and I have a feeling it will be ace!

The Jot's low end does not suck, especially balanced. In fact, driving MrSpeakers Ether C Flows, it gives a good challenge to my living room setup with a good class D amp (Bel Canto C7R), KEF Reference 1 main speakers, and REF T7i subwoofers.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,208 of 6,473
The Jot's low end does not suck, especially balanced. In fact, driving MrSpeakers Ether C Flows, it gives a good challenge to my living room setup with a good class D amp (Bel Canto C7R), KEF Reference 1 main speakers, and REF T7i subwoofers.

How about the high end of ether? Does not suck too?

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #1,209 of 6,473

I have a love hate relationship with Schiit at the moment, I love the Modi Multibit and I hate the Magni 2 Uber (that thing is a mess down low).

But I am going to wait until Mark @ Schiit UK get's some more Jot's in and give it a fair try, and I have a feeling it will be ace!

Er, he comaplained about the magni down low, not the jot.

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,210 of 6,473
How about the high end of ether? Does not suck too?

Very good to my ears, especially brushes and cymbals, but I'm well past my prime high-frequency hearing years. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #1,211 of 6,473
Er, he comaplained about the magni down low, not the jot.

Right, I was giving him further encouragement to grab one of them when they show up across the pond...

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #1,212 of 6,473

To be fair though, I feel those Kefs need a fair amount of juice to really get going. (Off topic, but nice two channel system transducers, by the way! They're of my current end game game plan.)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #1,213 of 6,473
I swear almost every night I listen to YYZ on my headphone setup before going to bed. It just sounds so damn good. Here's to some ridiculously impactful glass smashing, incredibly articulated bass guitar, amazingly crunchy lead guitar, and unbelievably good drumming. I can hear it all in pure clarity thanks to Schiit and Sennheiser.

Mimby.
Jotunheim.
Balanced HD650.

Win.

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #1,214 of 6,473
I swear almost every night I listen to YYZ on my headphone setup before going to bed. It just sounds so damn good. Here's to some ridiculously impactful glass smashing, incredibly articulated bass guitar, amazingly crunchy lead guitar, and unbelievably good drumming. I can hear it all in pure clarity thanks to Schiit and Sennheiser.

Mimby.
Jotunheim.
Balanced HD650.

Win.

Nearly the same setup here just different headphones, ps1000e. Just listened to YYZ and it was just as you've described. A fun listen! Love Rush! And hats off to Schiit for designing such good stuff!

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #1,215 of 6,473
Hey guys, hoping for some advice... Currently own the HD800's and the only amp/DAC I own is the Sony UDA-1. Mist of my music (except for classical or jazz) sounds thin/harsh no bass etc etc. Is the jot solving these problems with the 800 or should I just sell them and buy a hd650?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back