Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 13, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #841 of 6,473
  What makes the Jot sounding better than Asgard 2 aside from the extra power of course?

I don't think it is the additional power - in fact, in SE I don't think it is necessarily more powerful than the asgard 2.

Jotunheim is clearer, and the clarity and detail is presented in a very pleasing way. It is hard to describe - 'beautiful' for lack of a better word.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #843 of 6,473
I've been following along since the beginning and I don't recall any direct comparison to the Mjolnir 2. Anyone have that info? @MattTCG?

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #848 of 6,473
  I've just made a similar transition. Replaced Asgard 2 with Jotunheim with Bimby as input.
Can't say how Jotunheim will compare with the LC v2, but Jotunheim > Asgard 2 in every way that I can tell. It is a fabulous combination. 

Edit: forgot to mention - using SE HD 600.

Edit 2: Only problem is that this now sounds better than my "primary" stereo speaker setup.

Wow. Ether C Flows with Asgard 2 from Bimby already win over my speaker setup in some respects: less smooth, more real percussion, sax, and strings, maybe because of the integrated DAC/amp Bel Canto C7R powering my speakers, which tends a bit towards the mellow, great for dinner time music but sometimes less convincing in close listening. I fear that the Jot is going to "force" me to replace the C7R by something else (hum, Schiit two-channel...).

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #852 of 6,473

Yoe-tun-highm (Jötunheim) should be the correct Old Norse pronunciation, seeing as Schiit went with the anglicized version then Yoh-tun-highm is probably the most accurate approximation.

Hey, if we are going to be picky, lets use some Old Norse funny characters: Jǫtunheimr 
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #853 of 6,473
Hey, if we are going to be picky, lets use some Old Norse funny characters: Jǫtunheimr :D

Haha I'm all for the anglicized versions of the canon, that's why my name's Vigrith and not Vígríðr even though I love the ON alphabet.

Wasn't trying to be picky, just figured it may be relevant to point out the (slight) difference between both iterations! :D

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #854 of 6,473
Does anyone have any insight on how the joti , compares to the mjolnir1?

Just curious because if I can get similar performance, in a smaller package. I'd definitely snag one of these up.

The mjo1 had plenty of power but was harsh sounding especially in the treble spectrum. It needed a warm dac to yield a pleasing sound. The mjo1 never worked for me. 
  I've been following along since the beginning and I don't recall any direct comparison to the Mjolnir 2. Anyone have that info? @MattTCG?

The mjo 2 is a fantastic amp. With a good set of tubes, this is an end game amp for just about anyone. Tube sweetness, unapologetically dynamic, refined power. Very natural and organic sounding. The thing I have to be careful with is going down the rabbit hole called tube rolling. You can easily put up 1/2 the cost of the amp for a rare set of tubes. A collection of tubes is often more than the cost of the amp itself. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #855 of 6,473
The mjo 2 is a fantastic amp. With a good set of tubes, this is an end game amp for just about anyone. Tube sweetness, unapologetically dynamic, refined power. Very natural and organic sounding. The thing I have to be careful with is going down the rabbit hole called tube rolling. You can easily put up 1/2 the cost of the amp for a rare set of tubes. A collection of tubes is often more than the cost of the amp itself. 

I agree with this, the collection of tubes for my Lyr2 and BH Crack are 2-3 times the price of the amp themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back