Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 3, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #4,666 of 6,473
I decided to order a Jot as well, and already got confirmation it shipped. I am very curious to see how it performs. I am going to build a balanced cable for the HD600s, since it seems easy enough, but wondering about one for the EL-8, thinking C3 Audio seems reasonable? Many reviews online have said that balanced is the way to go, and that it makes an audible difference. Wondering if anyone can explain why from a physical perspective? Just curious, since I can also find articles online that say that balanced supplies may be inferior to unbalanced. I am going to try both methods to see for myself, but wanted to see what others thought.
I do have another question though, how are people EQ-ing headphones. Do you have a dedicated EQ in line? I typically try to keep things mostly neutral, wanting to hear what the musician was trying to present, but can understand how some adjustment might be of value on occasion.

The choice between balanced and SE depends on the design of the amp, if it was designed to be used balanced then that is where the amp will perform best, and then there are amps like the Liquid Glass and a few others that I've heard that perform the same in balanced or SE.

I wouldn't spend the money just to get a balanced cable for the EL-8 since its very easy to drive and doesn't really benefit from running them balanced IMO based on my time with the Liquid Glass and Carbon, both of which can be used balanced or SE. I did build a cable for my EL-8 and originally had a XLR connector so that I could try them balanced on the two amps previously mentioned but upon finding no difference I removed the XLR jack and went with a 1/4" jack.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #4,668 of 6,473
Get Jot as an amp is a solid choice, no complaints at all but its DAC is suck/trash/cancer...be ware before order. get an external DAC like Modi 2 uber will save you.
But Jot's DAC uses exactly the same chip as Modi 2 Uber (and Modi 2) except Jot's DAC is fully balanced, i.e., can only be better, not worse. Why do you think that Jot's DAC is worse than Modi 2 Uber? It makes no sense.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #4,669 of 6,473
But Jot's DAC uses exactly the same chip as Modi 2 Uber (and Modi 2) except Jot's DAC is fully balanced, i.e., can only be better, not worse. Why do you think that Jot's DAC is worse than Modi 2 Uber? It makes no sense.
Technically it's better, but in real life, for most pc, not perfect as modi 2 uber, because of most graphic cards nowadays have coil whine, even the top-end gtx 1080 ti. If Schiit design the Jot again, DAC use full power from external adapter...I would say it's best bang for the buck!!!

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #4,670 of 6,473
This is advice that will suite you for buying anything....

It comes down to the implementation.

I'll give you a few analogies. A beater Honda Civic with broken down suspension and beaten to hell engine/transmission has the exact same four rims/tires as a Ferrari. The Ferrari will beat the Civic every time in any performance metric. The Teac NT-503 uses the same 4490 DAC chip but costs $999 compared to the Modi 2. Is it's sound quality better? Maybe, it comes down to the implementation and quality of supporting components.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #4,671 of 6,473
Technically it's better, but in real life, for most pc, not perfect as modi 2 uber, because of most graphic cards nowadays have coil whine, even the top-end gtx 1080 ti. If Schiit design the Jot again, DAC use full power from external adapter...I would say it's best bang for the buck!!!
I don't get it. What do graphics cards have anything to do with it? Isn't the Jot DAC powered by the Jot's internal power supply?

But more to the point — what differences do you hear between the Jot DAC and Modi 2 Uber?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #4,672 of 6,473
There's quite a few mention of cans that have good synergy with the Jot. Just like to share, from my current experience, that the ATH-R70x is certainly one of them. Its supremely natural tone goes really well with the amp. In turn, the Jot is the perfect amp to bring out just how revealing, authoritative and musical the cans can be. Worth an audition for those of you on the look out for a new pair of cans.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #4,673 of 6,473
This is advice that will suite you for buying anything....

It comes down to the implementation.

I'll give you a few analogies. A beater Honda Civic with broken down suspension and beaten to hell engine/transmission has the exact same four rims/tires as a Ferrari. The Ferrari will beat the Civic every time in any performance metric. The Teac NT-503 uses the same 4490 DAC chip but costs $999 compared to the Modi 2. Is it's sound quality better? Maybe, it comes down to the implementation and quality of supporting components.
I am well aware of this. Why do you think the same company would implement essentially the same DAC differently? It wouldn't make sense. The same USB receiver chip, the same DAC chip. One is balanced of course, the other is not. If I were them I would implement them the same way. I am with rkw here. What difference if any do people hear between the Jot with builtin DAC and the Modi 2 Uber? I bet nobody has this combo. :ksc75smile:

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #4,675 of 6,473
I don't get it. What do graphics cards have anything to do with it? Isn't the Jot DAC powered by the Jot's internal power supply?

But more to the point — what differences do you hear between the Jot DAC and Modi 2 Uber?
The amp side is powered by external source, but the DAC draw power from PC, through USB

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #4,676 of 6,473
They are not really analogies are they?
Ehh, I don't know, I suck at writing. The point is, there is a lot more that goes into a DAC than the chip itself. Power supply and clean power delivery are very important to good sound. Quality resistors, capacitors, and transistors all have a cost, as well as proper elegant designs, think Nelson Pass First Watt amps.

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #4,677 of 6,473
The choice between balanced and SE depends on the design of the amp, if it was designed to be used balanced then that is where the amp will perform best, and then there are amps like the Liquid Glass and a few others that I've heard that perform the same in balanced or SE.

I wouldn't spend the money just to get a balanced cable for the EL-8 since its very easy to drive and doesn't really benefit from running them balanced IMO based on my time with the Liquid Glass and Carbon, both of which can be used balanced or SE. I did build a cable for my EL-8 and originally had a XLR connector so that I could try them balanced on the two amps previously mentioned but upon finding no difference I removed the XLR jack and went with a 1/4" jack.

All Headphones connected to the JOT, will sound better using a balanced cable. Full Stop.
So get your soldering irons out!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #4,678 of 6,473
Hello,
I'm a satisfied owner of the Jot with internal DAC ( I tried the Bitfrost Multibit and sent it back) . Using my Audioquest Nightowl Carbon headphones through a 4pin XLR balanced cable (and the Jot as pre-amp to my Audioengine N22 AMP). Love the combo. I'm very curious to hear what tubes would sound like in the setup. Is there a reasonably priced way to introduce tubes to the mix? Thanks

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #4,679 of 6,473
I have the small Schiit stack plus which is what I like to call the Magni 2 when paired with the Mimby, but I'm looking at getting a new amp and the Jot is on my short list. My main headphone is the Elear but I also use a Nighthawk a fair bit so I was wondering how they pair with the Jot? I'd like to know how they sound single ended as well as balanced and if there really is a significant difference in SQ between the 2? I'd get just the amp because I don't need a dac and from everything I've seen the $399 is worth it for just the amp, but I'd still like to hear from anyone that uses the Elear with it.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #4,680 of 6,473
just finally got some balanced cables for my headphones (LCD-2 and SE846) and wondering if I need to use the balanced XLR input to utilize the balanced output properly? or will SE input still yield same result?

i noticed my desktop monitors at work (Emotiva Airmotiv 5s) have balanced inputs as well--any benefit to using the balance pre-amp out of the Jotunheim? still wish the Jot muted the pre-amps when headphones are plugged in! Asgard 2 still better in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back