Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #4,696 of 6,472
I feel the same about the Jot. It comes across very clean, precise and accurate, when compared to my other amps, namely the iCAN SE and the Taurus MK II which I had sold.

I do wonder how it compares with the Raggy? Is it close to the big brother's level of precision and accuracy, or still a far cry away?
I've never heard the Raggy, but the difference between the Jot and the 3x more expensive Neurochrome HP-1 (currently my main headphone amp) is not huge. Yes, the HP-1 has deeper soundstage, better instrument separation, a more "big concert hall" sound, but the Jot does very well, and in fact it can sound a bit more intimate with some recordings. Given the price multiplier, this a huge feat for the Jot.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #4,698 of 6,472
the jot has the most clarity of any amp i've ever heard. that being said, the rag takes it in all other areas (except price) and it's my main headphone amp.

the jot has some edginess imo which is the main dealbreaker for me.

That tends to align with my thoughts. For me the sound presentation also depends most on the recording and the transducer. My Jot makes a better pairing with my Utopia than my stock HD800 which I prefer with my MJ2 or Rag. I've always felt my Rag blends some of the best qualities of both the Jot and MJ2 but at a price dollar wise. The MJ2 with tubes and LISST's plus a Jot thrown in is less than the cost of a Rag and gives a listener a lot of varying sonic subtleties to hear (or not). But buying a pair or two (or 10 in my case) premium tubes for the MJ2 can quickly change the price comparison.

The Rag is the least "exciting" sounding amp of the three, which makes it my HP amp of choice with the music I listen to most. My MJ2 with the right tubes can work some magic with voices as does my Jot. The difference I hear between those two (sound field and reproduction of the recording venue aside), is warm and airy versus dry and clinical. Also, the reach and control at the extremes of the frequency range is slightly different. These differences while audible are not monumental in nature and/but personal preferences and expectations will vary.

I've been having fun comparing the different amps and phones with varying house sounds of recording labels and the changing technology of making recordings over the past 7 plus decades.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #4,699 of 6,472
I've never heard the Raggy, but the difference between the Jot and the 3x more expensive Neurochrome HP-1 (currently my main headphone amp) is not huge. Yes, the HP-1 has deeper soundstage, better instrument separation, a more "big concert hall" sound, but the Jot does very well, and in fact it can sound a bit more intimate with some recordings. Given the price multiplier, this a huge feat for the Jot.

That really says how good the Jot is. But I do agree with that point about the soundstage. My other amps do give a greater sense of depth. I read headphoneer's review of the Mjolnir and he felt the same way too. I wonder whether it's a Schiit thing, that they tuned their amps to bring background elements to the forefront.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #4,700 of 6,472
That tends to align with my thoughts. For me the sound presentation also depends most on the recording and the transducer. My Jot makes a better pairing with my Utopia than my stock HD800 which I prefer with my MJ2 or Rag. I've always felt my Rag blends some of the best qualities of both the Jot and MJ2 but at a price dollar wise. The MJ2 with tubes and LISST's plus a Jot thrown in is less than the cost of a Rag and gives a listener a lot of varying sonic subtleties to hear (or not). But buying a pair or two (or 10 in my case) premium tubes for the MJ2 can quickly change the price comparison.

The Rag is the least "exciting" sounding amp of the three, which makes it my HP amp of choice with the music I listen to most. My MJ2 with the right tubes can work some magic with voices as does my Jot. The difference I hear between those two (sound field and reproduction of the recording venue aside), is warm and airy versus dry and clinical. Also, the reach and control at the extremes of the frequency range is slightly different. These differences while audible are not monumental in nature and/but personal preferences and expectations will vary.

I've been having fun comparing the different amps and phones with varying house sounds of recording labels and the changing technology of making recordings over the past 7 plus decades.

That's quite a range of amps you have at your disposal to choose from. I'm actually impressed that you bought the Jot despite having the Rag and the MJ2.

Any thoughts about their soundstage depth? Are they pretty much the same from one 'sibling' to another, or the Jot appears to have the shallowest?

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #4,701 of 6,472
That's quite a range of amps you have at your disposal to choose from. I'm actually impressed that you bought the Jot despite having the Rag and the MJ2.

Any thoughts about their soundstage depth? Are they pretty much the same from one 'sibling' to another, or the Jot appears to have the shallowest?

For me personally, at $400US I felt the Jot was just too cost effective to pass on given the initial impressions of posters. Plus with 15 days on trial basis I felt if it started barking right out of the box I could always return it. It also gave me a 5th option to evaluate as I get back into listening to my music with a more critical ear and determine what qualities in HP's and current electronics get me closer to reproducing the sound of an orchestra in a concert hall, which is my goal, and where I have had extensive exposure over the decades.

I find the Jot does not reproduce that sense of depth of the sound field to the same extent the MJ2 and Rag can, depending on the recording, and with my HP stable. The Jot brings things in closer with a clear, slightly prominent midrange, but it does maintains control and reaches better into the deep bass and upper highs (well, as high as my ears go at my age) than my MJ2. The MJ2 can be a little soft at the extremes, tube dependent to some extent, but not by much, and it can reveal some of the air of the acoustic venue the recording was made in providing a better illusion of depth while maintaining midrange presence. For all I know all these subtle sound characteristics I listen for are various frequency distortions and phase inaccuracies adding up for the better or for the worse to an end result that's compelling and makes me want to listen. With speakers there is always room interactions to deal with, but with headphones it's the loss of the timing differences from each channel to the opposite ear. HP's do eliminate the room interactions simplifying one aspect of the overall listening experience. But then how important is a certain volume of air in the equation of generating a sound field environment that's believable with acoustic instruments? As always, it's about trade-offs and compromises.

I was primarily a two channel in-room speaker listener from 1970 until 2004 when I left hi-end audio (due to retirement and downsizing) and focused on home theater. I only returned to hi-end with HP's (due to space limitations) in Jan of 2016. My experience tells me that the spatial characteristics discussed in conjunction with amps (and the other boxes and wires in the chain) are easier for me to hear with in-room speakers. When making comparisons with the headphones I've auditioned in home, including almost all the TOTL contenders over the past year, HP's just don't compare well in reproducing spatial cues and I'm referring here to depth and height of the sound field, not the imaging left to right, so I've been adjusting my expectations accordingly for HP's since I started with this project.

One final note: while I have a fair amount of concert hall listening experience I have never been in a recording studio which could make my listening priorities different from those of others.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #4,703 of 6,472
For me personally, at $400US I felt the Jot was just too cost effective to pass on given the initial impressions of posters. Plus with 15 days on trial basis I felt if it started barking right out of the box I could always return it. It also gave me a 5th option to evaluate as I get back into listening to my music with a more critical ear and determine what qualities in HP's and current electronics get me closer to reproducing the sound of an orchestra in a concert hall, which is my goal, and where I have had extensive exposure over the decades.

I find the Jot does not reproduce that sense of depth of the sound field to the same extent the MJ2 and Rag can, depending on the recording, and with my HP stable. The Jot brings things in closer with a clear, slightly prominent midrange, but it does maintains control and reaches better into the deep bass and upper highs (well, as high as my ears go at my age) than my MJ2. The MJ2 can be a little soft at the extremes, tube dependent to some extent, but not by much, and it can reveal some of the air of the acoustic venue the recording was made in providing a better illusion of depth while maintaining midrange presence. For all I know all these subtle sound characteristics I listen for are various frequency distortions and phase inaccuracies adding up for the better or for the worse to an end result that's compelling and makes me want to listen. With speakers there is always room interactions to deal with, but with headphones it's the loss of the timing differences from each channel to the opposite ear. HP's do eliminate the room interactions simplifying one aspect of the overall listening experience. But then how important is a certain volume of air in the equation of generating a sound field environment that's believable with acoustic instruments? As always, it's about trade-offs and compromises.

I was primarily a two channel in-room speaker listener from 1970 until 2004 when I left hi-end audio (due to retirement and downsizing) and focused on home theater. I only returned to hi-end with HP's (due to space limitations) in Jan of 2016. My experience tells me that the spatial characteristics discussed in conjunction with amps (and the other boxes and wires in the chain) are easier for me to hear with in-room speakers. When making comparisons with the headphones I've auditioned in home, including almost all the TOTL contenders over the past year, HP's just don't compare well in reproducing spatial cues and I'm referring here to depth and height of the sound field, not the imaging left to right, so I've been adjusting my expectations accordingly for HP's since I started with this project.

One final note: while I have a fair amount of concert hall listening experience I have never been in a recording studio which could make my listening priorities different from those of others.

Thanks for the insightful feedback. You certainly nailed that point about gear that can project a good sense of air give that impression of depth and space. And that it's more apparent with speaker set-ups inside our physical living spaces.

After hearing your point, I pulled out my HD800S and did a more critical A/B between the Jot and my ifi stack. I realise that the 'air' coming through the Jot varied noticeably with connections: least when I go unbalance in/out, more when I go balance in/unbalance out, most when I go full balance. The last comes closest to the spatial impression that I hear from the ifi stack, in fact it's much more dynamic, cleaner, with no warm coloration. Gain-wise, I noticed that low setting gives better, clearer separation with darker background between instruments. This is the case for the ifi stack too. Throughout the comparisons, the soundstage of the Jot is definitely more up close, or intimate, so must have contributed significantly to my initial feeling of lesser depth. But the instrumental layers from front to back are distinctly there and not at all flattened together depth-wise. So thanks, I think you helped me answer my own question: it's not that the Jot has less depth, it's just nearer (as you have also mentioned).

Still, if you have a chance to do a direct A/B between the Jot and the Rag, like you had with the MJ2, I'd be all ears. I'm really liking the Jot so I'm curious how much more I will like the Rag (ignoring the price tag as much as I can).

Incidentally, during comparison, I noticed that the balance in/SE out configuration at low gain sounded far more smooth and treble-tame than I initially remembered it. The amp seemed to have settled down considerably after a week of playing. The config has a teeny less texture and slam than going full balance but definitely shows that the Jot isn't just that harsh, treble-glaring amp that many people have been experiencing. It comes down to the whole chain, what and how it's hooked up to.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #4,704 of 6,472
Throughout the comparisons, the soundstage of the Jot is definitely more up close, or intimate, so must have contributed significantly to my initial feeling of lesser depth. But the instrumental layers from front to back are distinctly there and not at all flattened together depth-wise. So thanks, I think you helped me answer my own question: it's not that the Jot has less depth, it's just nearer (as you have also mentioned).
Wouldn't the soundstage openness be defined by the spec parameter called "crosstalk"? The perception of depth in sound comes from the differences in the left and right channels of a stereo recording. Crosstalk, as far as I understand it, defines, or rather is a measure of, how much left and right channels mix while passing through the amp. So, Jot's crosstalk is -70dB, Mjolnir 2's -75dB, Ragnarok's -80dB (those are negative numbers). Ragnarok's crosstalk is the lowest, so I would expect people to say that its soundstage is wider and more open. I haven't checked other reviews, I wonder if it's correct.

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #4,705 of 6,472
Wouldn't the soundstage openness be defined by the spec parameter called "crosstalk"? The perception of depth in sound comes from the differences in the left and right channels of a stereo recording. Crosstalk, as far as I understand it, defines, or rather is a measure of, how much left and right channels mix while passing through the amp. So, Jot's crosstalk is -70dB, Mjolnir 2's -75dB, Ragnarok's -80dB (those are negative numbers). Ragnarok's crosstalk is the lowest, so I would expect people to say that its soundstage is wider and more open. I haven't checked other reviews, I wonder if it's correct.

Someone more technically savvy might be able to answer that. My investigation was with regards to depth, not width of soundstage. I don't feel the Jot lacks width and openness at all, but I would imagine the Rag performs even better being the flagship amp, which those crosstalk figures might suggest.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,706 of 6,472
RE: Jot vs Rag and Sound Fields

Many HP related posts here at Head-Fi mentioning the sound field seem directed at discussing stage width and stability of imaging. Few discuss the depth aspects and it's possible this is just not as important with non classical genres of music recorded in small specialized studios as opposed to the large spaces of concert halls. Ideally a sound field should be like a holograph; if it was visually perceivable it should define a 3D space with width, height, and depth components. Over the years I’ve heard and owned speakers that throw a huge sound field with stable imaging such that you could point to specific spots and sense the sound of an instrument or group of instruments halfway or all the way at the back of the stage within the sound space. This illusion is very recording dependent. I don’t hear this type of specificity in the concert hall, sounds blend much more and the point to a spot business tends to fall apart. However, somehow (and maybe it’s a result of phase and timing cues) my ears always get the sense, when I go live, that the sounds coming from the violins and cellos are at the front, woodwinds behind them, and horns and percussion behind them, a nebulous layering type of effect from front to back, even with my eyes closed and the farther from the stage the more noticeable it can be. The larger physical space of the concert hall with the longer reflection times may result in this blending effect. Home listening rooms are like phone booths with all those early reflections, but if a recording and the reproducing chain can generate this faux depth with specificity it helps me to suspend belief that I’m in a tiny room and have a full size orchestra in front of me adding to my enjoyment of the in-home listening experience. I'm headphones only at this point, wrestling with how to squeeze a couple boxes with cones or stats into my limited space.

A generalization I tend to find holds true with reproduced sound, be it headphones or speakers; if the recording and chain all the way to the transducer is relatively flat in frequency response through the crucial midrange and lower highs, this sound field with a depth component will be as large and specific front to back as the recording allows for. Elevate those frequency ranges slightly and the front to back component gets squashed and comes forward. Recess that frequency range slightly and it expands from front to back but loses the “it sounds like I could reach out and touch it” element.

All of the foregoing is related to my concert hall and in home listening experience and with orchestral recordings with headphones and speakers. None of it is original to me. Decades ago I was introduced to all these concepts through the likes of J.Gordon Holt, Harry Pearson, and others. I make no claim to guru-hood, to having better ears than others, or a better understanding of the art and science of music reproduction. These are just my observations in conjunction with what I learned from others as applied to my "live" and "canned" listening experiences.

Anyway, some random musings on my Schiit boxes, MJ2 vs Rag vs Jot, as I revisited the A/B/C arena with regard to the sound stage once again over this past weekend. I'm not making any recommendations on which I think is best, just my thoughts on my 3 headphone amps.

If Schiit has a house sound tailored to appeal to different categories of listeners I don’t hear it. These 3 are all basically neutral but with minor deviations from each other, and those differences are mole hills and not mountains and it took me a lot of listening hours to reach my conclusions, which will not necessarily be anyone else's conclusions. The sound field generated with the HP’s I used (HD800 and Utopia) in conjunction with these amps made the differences noticeable. Comparing the Utopia and HD800 on the Rag made for some very interesting listening sessions, but that’s another story.

Turning to the MJ2 first you’d think the tubes would make a big difference. Every time I fire up mine up I’m surprised at how un-tube-like it is. But then I do associate typical old school tube type sound with output transformers in power amps, not necessarily with small signal tubes or hybrid amps like the MJ2. I guess a designer could play with distortion parameters to make for a more tube-like sound in an OTL or SS pre or power amp, but I don’t hear what I remember as typical tube-y coloration's here, just a softening of details at the extreme top and bottom of the frequency range in the MJ2 coupled with a beautiful sounding midrange. It really shines with my HD800.

I also find the MJ2 is like a chameleon. Roll different tube pairs with LISST’s and get a lot of subtle variety in the sound. Picking a winner on what tubes to stay with has become as difficult for me as answering the question “What’s your favorite color” before crossing the Bridge of Death.

As regards the Rag, when I used the word “unexciting” in an earlier post in reference to my Rag I didn’t mean it in a negative way. My Rag gives me the sense that the sound stage perspective and frequency balance is neutral with respect to distance from the players or groups of players and the air between the players and of the hall and how the instruments sound tonally. It may sound a bit laid back and softer on top by comparison with the Jot which strikes me as a bit forward and brighter with a more compact sound stage from front to back and I don't hear the "air" I sometimes get with the MJ2 and Rag. I get the sense of a bigger picture on the orchestra with my Rag which works better with the music I listen to most and depending on the recording comes closer to what I experience live from a point in the audience as opposed to on (or hanging over) the stage which is a tendency of overly miked recordings. Going from the Jot to the Rag could initially be like going from "exciting" to "unexciting" but over time the Rag just gets more "real" for my listening preferences, lack of a better explanation.

Many of the early Jot posters raved about the sound of vocals and I think it speaks to the Jot’s midrange clarity and ability to make voices “pop” sounding very “there” and I do like my Rock and Jazz music on the Jot, very energizing. Going from the Jot to the Rag it’s conceivable that the Rag could come off as less squeaky clean in its presentation of the midrange with less “pop” to vocals, and I remember a comment or two that the Rag might be veiled in comparison to the Jot (which I don’t hear). I also sense the Rag delivers with a greater sense of ease, it’s more relaxed and its sound field is bigger than the Jot’s in depth regardless of whether I use SE or Balanced connections The Rag provides me with what I prefer in a complete sound presentation. But, I like the variety of having the additional amps (especially the MJ2) just as I like having multiple headphones at my disposal.

I think all 3 of my Schiit amps would measure almost identically for practical purposes and in most aspects, and at these vanishing levels of distortion I wouldn’t attribute any perceived subjective differences as discernible from looking at those measurements. I’ve owned them for; (MJ2 – 15 months, Rag – 11 months, Jot - 10 months).

Comparing my 3 Schiit amps with HP’s (Mostly the HD800 and Utopia) over the past year turned out to be a lot more difficult than I ever imagined because I found matching volume levels in open air even with a decent sound level meter notoriously difficult but a must as it affects so many sound characteristics. I also find it much easier to fine tune the rotary volume pots on the MJ2 and Jot than with the Rags attenuator so I always had to set the Rag volume first and then dial the MJ2 and Jot in with the meter and test tone using the Rag as the reference level, before making listening comparisons. With the Rags attenuator of 64 steps of 1.2 db each it’s fairly easy to hear the difference in sound level between steps even at the lowest gain setting. This tells me that a difference of only 2 db between the 3 units might change my perception and is why if Schiit ever offer an upgrade to 128 steps for the Rag I’ll take advantage of it. Given that there is no standardization with recording levels I always end up with different volume settings every time I put on a different CD to get the sound to what I feel is appropriate for the type of music and how and where the recording was made. So I would always need to reset the volumes all over again. Too high a volume level and the music can get shout-y and/or distorted, too low and it get washed out sounding lacking presence and body. And louder always sounds closer. I also find there is a relatively small range of volume or a sweet spot in volume setting for any given recording where it comes to life as realistically sounding as the recording is capable of allowing it to be.

As far as moving up (?) to a Rag, it’s not 4+ times better in any aspect. Can you benefit or make use of the additional inputs/outputs? Do the speaker taps matter to you? The third gain option? They certainly didn’t to me but I handled it like I did my purchase of the Yggy, why start at the bottom and work my way up. I was already sold on the MJ2 for my tube option and it seemed to be Schiit’s statement amp with its tube/FET topology in a headphone amp. I then decided to just go straight for their SS statement amp for headphones. I should also mention that the Rag generates significantly more heat than the Jot and will need more breathing space along with its larger footprint. But, I still keep coming back to the Rag for my music of choice most of the time and fire up the MJ2 when I’m feeling decadent.

Satisfaction of ownership can play into all this as well. A Hyundai or Kia will move me from point A to point B very cost effectively, but I want, and am willing to pay for, all the performance, comfort, and bling features that come from the more upscale car makers. The Rag comes with most every option I can think of (except a remote control, power switch on the front, VU meters, and a dimmer for its LED, if such things matter to you).

With regards to upgrading; I subscribe to all the Schiit related threads here at Head-Fi and it seems to me that at least 90% of all the posts along the lines of “I got a problem with the sound” have to do with downloaded music content and playback from PC’s over USB, HDMI, etc. D/L'd music content also seems to be the format of choice among posters. These issues could be various noise issues to no sound, or something else. If I were thinking of upgrading my existing signal chain I would assess my front end and conclude whether or not I can improve it within my budget to get the best quality signal out of the original source, be it CD or D/L content, before it gets to the DAC. If I were already satisfied with the front end I would next focus on the transducer, followed by the DACs/preamps/amps, and lastly, the connecting wires. Nothing new here, but that’s how I'd approach the process and spend my money if I already had a complete rig and was looking to “improve” it.

Even with my CD player and DAC there are things like jitter, clocks, algorithms, bits, filters, and lots of other pieces parts and details that are beyond the scope of my knowledge but that need to be addressed and done right. Based on my exposure to Yggy I trust in Mike get those things right for me, so I don't have to think about them, LOL!

The last thought I want to leave you with (and I’ve said it before), “The harder I listen, the less I hear” All this A vs B vs C stuff is interesting and fun but it is also time consuming, tedious, tiring, and frustratingly difficult at times. As a lifelong audiophile I’ve always found that as time passes with exposure to some new piece of gear I will eventually reach a point where I stop listening to the equipment, like a dog on point, in any structured way. Preconceived expectations and biases will gradually fade into the background. I will find myself focused more on the music; the sound of the individual notes, the body sound of the instruments, the various textures, musical structures, clarity of inner detailing, the sound of the hall, and how it was all captured by the microphones and balanced in the final mix. That’s when I find the truth of the sound for me.

As always, trust your own ears.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #4,707 of 6,472

Many HP related posts here at Head-Fi mentioning the sound field seem directed at discussing stage width and stability of imaging. Few discuss the depth aspects and it's possible this is just not as important with non classical genres of music recorded in small specialized studios as opposed to the large spaces of concert halls. Ideally a sound field should be like a holograph; if it was visually perceivable it should define a 3D space with width, height, and depth components. Over the years I’ve heard and owned speakers that throw a huge sound field with stable imaging such that you could point to specific spots and sense the sound of an instrument or group of instruments halfway or all the way at the back of the stage within the sound space. This illusion is very recording dependent. I don’t hear this type of specificity in the concert hall, sounds blend much more and the point to a spot business tends to fall apart. However, somehow (and maybe it’s a result of phase and timing cues) my ears always get the sense, when I go live, that the sounds coming from the violins and cellos are at the front, woodwinds behind them, and horns and percussion behind them, a nebulous layering type of effect from front to back, even with my eyes closed and the farther from the stage the more noticeable it can be. The larger physical space of the concert hall with the longer reflection times may result in this blending effect. Home listening rooms are like phone booths with all those early reflections, but if a recording and the reproducing chain can generate this faux depth with specificity it helps me to suspend belief that I’m in a tiny room and have a full size orchestra in front of me adding to my enjoyment of the in-home listening experience. I'm headphones only at this point, wrestling with how to squeeze a couple boxes with cones or stats into my limited space.

A generalization I tend to find holds true with reproduced sound, be it headphones or speakers; if the recording and chain all the way to the transducer is relatively flat in frequency response through the crucial midrange and lower highs, this sound field with a depth component will be as large and specific front to back as the recording allows for. Elevate those frequency ranges slightly and the front to back component gets squashed and comes forward. Recess that frequency range slightly and it expands from front to back but loses the “it sounds like I could reach out and touch it” element.

All of the foregoing is related to my concert hall and in home listening experience and with orchestral recordings with headphones and speakers. None of it is original to me. Decades ago I was introduced to all these concepts through the likes of J.Gordon Holt, Harry Pearson, and others. I make no claim to guru-hood, to having better ears than others, or a better understanding of the art and science of music reproduction. These are just my observations in conjunction with what I learned from others as applied to my "live" and "canned" listening experiences.

Anyway, some random musings on my Schiit boxes, MJ2 vs Rag vs Jot, as I revisited the A/B/C arena with regard to the sound stage once again over this past weekend. I'm not making any recommendations on which I think is best, just my thoughts on my 3 headphone amps.

If Schiit has a house sound tailored to appeal to different categories of listeners I don’t hear it. These 3 are all basically neutral but with minor deviations from each other, and those differences are mole hills and not mountains and it took me a lot of listening hours to reach my conclusions, which will not necessarily be anyone else's conclusions. The sound field generated with the HP’s I used (HD800 and Utopia) in conjunction with these amps made the differences noticeable. Comparing the Utopia and HD800 on the Rag made for some very interesting listening sessions, but that’s another story.

Turning to the MJ2 first you’d think the tubes would make a big difference. Every time I fire up mine up I’m surprised at how un-tube-like it is. But then I do associate typical old school tube type sound with output transformers in power amps, not necessarily with small signal tubes or hybrid amps like the MJ2. I guess a designer could play with distortion parameters to make for a more tube-like sound in an OTL or SS pre or power amp, but I don’t hear what I remember as typical tube-y coloration's here, just a softening of details at the extreme top and bottom of the frequency range in the MJ2 coupled with a beautiful sounding midrange. It really shines with my HD800.

I also find the MJ2 is like a chameleon. Roll different tube pairs with LISST’s and get a lot of subtle variety in the sound. Picking a winner on what tubes to stay with has become as difficult for me as answering the question “What’s your favorite color” before crossing the Bridge of Death.

As regards the Rag, when I used the word “unexciting” in an earlier post in reference to my Rag I didn’t mean it in a negative way. My Rag gives me the sense that the sound stage perspective and frequency balance is neutral with respect to distance from the players or groups of players and the air between the players and of the hall and how the instruments sound tonally. It may sound a bit laid back and softer on top by comparison with the Jot which strikes me as a bit forward and brighter with a more compact sound stage from front to back and I don't hear the "air" I sometimes get with the MJ2 and Rag. I get the sense of a bigger picture on the orchestra with my Rag which works better with the music I listen to most and depending on the recording comes closer to what I experience live from a point in the audience as opposed to on (or hanging over) the stage which is a tendency of overly miked recordings. Going from the Jot to the Rag could initially be like going from "exciting" to "unexciting" but over time the Rag just gets more "real" for my listening preferences, lack of a better explanation.

Many of the early Jot posters raved about the sound of vocals and I think it speaks to the Jot’s midrange clarity and ability to make voices “pop” sounding very “there” and I do like my Rock and Jazz music on the Jot, very energizing. Going from the Jot to the Rag it’s conceivable that the Rag could come off as less squeaky clean in its presentation of the midrange with less “pop” to vocals, and I remember a comment or two that the Rag might be veiled in comparison to the Jot (which I don’t hear). I also sense the Rag delivers with a greater sense of ease, it’s more relaxed and its sound field is bigger than the Jot’s in depth regardless of whether I use SE or Balanced connections The Rag provides me with what I prefer in a complete sound presentation. But, I like the variety of having the additional amps (especially the MJ2) just as I like having multiple headphones at my disposal.

I think all 3 of my Schiit amps would measure almost identically for practical purposes and in most aspects, and at these vanishing levels of distortion I wouldn’t attribute any perceived subjective differences as discernible from looking at those measurements. I’ve owned them for; (MJ2 – 15 months, Rag – 11 months, Jot - 10 months).

Comparing my 3 Schiit amps with HP’s (Mostly the HD800 and Utopia) over the past year turned out to be a lot more difficult than I ever imagined because I found matching volume levels in open air even with a decent sound level meter notoriously difficult but a must as it affects so many sound characteristics. I also find it much easier to fine tune the rotary volume pots on the MJ2 and Jot than with the Rags attenuator so I always had to set the Rag volume first and then dial the MJ2 and Jot in with the meter and test tone using the Rag as the reference level, before making listening comparisons. With the Rags attenuator of 64 steps of 1.2 db each it’s fairly easy to hear the difference in sound level between steps even at the lowest gain setting. This tells me that a difference of only 2 db between the 3 units might change my perception and is why if Schiit ever offer an upgrade to 128 steps for the Rag I’ll take advantage of it. Given that there is no standardization with recording levels I always end up with different volume settings every time I put on a different CD to get the sound to what I feel is appropriate for the type of music and how and where the recording was made. So I would always need to reset the volumes all over again. Too high a volume level and the music can get shout-y and/or distorted, too low and it get washed out sounding lacking presence and body. And louder always sounds closer. I also find there is a relatively small range of volume or a sweet spot in volume setting for any given recording where it comes to life as realistically sounding as the recording is capable of allowing it to be.

As far as moving up (?) to a Rag, it’s not 4+ times better in any aspect. Can you benefit or make use of the additional inputs/outputs? Do the speaker taps matter to you? The third gain option? They certainly didn’t to me but I handled it like I did my purchase of the Yggy, why start at the bottom and work my way up. I was already sold on the MJ2 for my tube option and it seemed to be Schiit’s statement amp with its tube/FET topology in a headphone amp. I then decided to just go straight for their SS statement amp for headphones. I should also mention that the Rag generates significantly more heat than the Jot and will need more breathing space along with its larger footprint. But, I still keep coming back to the Rag for my music of choice most of the time and fire up the MJ2 when I’m feeling decadent.

Satisfaction of ownership can play into all this as well. A Hyundai or Kia will move me from point A to point B very cost effectively, but I want, and am willing to pay for, all the performance, comfort, and bling features that come from the more upscale car makers. The Rag comes with most every option I can think of (except a remote control, power switch on the front, VU meters, and a dimmer for its LED, if such things matter to you).

With regards to upgrading; I subscribe to all the Schiit related threads here at Head-Fi and it seems to me that at least 90% of all the posts along the lines of “I got a problem with the sound” have to do with downloaded music content and playback from PC’s over USB, HDMI, etc. D/L'd music content also seems to be the format of choice among posters. These issues could be various noise issues to no sound, or something else. If I were thinking of upgrading my existing signal chain I would assess my front end and conclude whether or not I can improve it within my budget to get the best quality signal out of the original source, be it CD or D/L content, before it gets to the DAC. If I were already satisfied with the front end I would next focus on the transducer, followed by the DACs/preamps/amps, and lastly, the connecting wires. Nothing new here, but that’s how I'd approach the process and spend my money if I already had a complete rig and was looking to “improve” it.

Even with my CD player and DAC there are things like jitter, clocks, algorithms, bits, filters, and lots of other pieces parts and details that are beyond the scope of my knowledge but that need to be addressed and done right. Based on my exposure to Yggy I trust in Mike get those things right for me, so I don't have to think about them, LOL!

The last thought I want to leave you with (and I’ve said it before), “The harder I listen, the less I hear” All this A vs B vs C stuff is interesting and fun but it is also time consuming, tedious, tiring, and frustratingly difficult at times. As a lifelong audiophile I’ve always found that as time passes with exposure to some new piece of gear I will eventually reach a point where I stop listening to the equipment, like a dog on point, in any structured way. Preconceived expectations and biases will gradually fade into the background. I will find myself focused more on the music; the sound of the individual notes, the body sound of the instruments, the various textures, musical structures, clarity of inner detailing, the sound of the hall, and how it was all captured by the microphones and balanced in the final mix. That’s when I find the truth of the sound for me.

Thank you so much for this post, very grateful. So much experience and good writing here. People like you are a great help for young, unexperienced people like myself.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #4,709 of 6,472

Spectacular comparison. Very insightful. Thank you for sharing this.

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #4,710 of 6,472
Does anyone here have experience with the original Chord Hugo?
I am able to get the Hugo for 700$ if I act quickly, or I could buy a new Jot for 400$ and use with my Mimby. I would prefer to hold on to my money for a little longer, but I can buy now if I have to. So my question is: Is the Hugo a big upgrade from the Jot+Mimby, so much that it's worth the extra 200$ and have to buy now? The portability isn't a big deal to me, so I'm thinking purely from a sound quality perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back