Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #4,606 of 6,469
Like both you and Bacon Bits stated, it's not the amp.
I've used a Jot with two DACs, Bimby and Holo Spring KTE 3 (both fed by pretty high-end digital sources). I hear hiss is when I listen to digital remasterings of old analog recordings, but most modern recordings with all-digital masters are totally quiet in the silences/low-volume passages. My hunch is that the problem in with the DAC or its source.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #4,607 of 6,469
Anyone tried using this amp with DACs using PCM1704 or some other warmer balanced R2R DACs? I am thinking some of those DAC can enhance the bass even further and also give the amp a more euphoric character. This paring might even be competitive with high end equipment. The modi Multibit does not have enough Bass compared to some Audio-GD offering.
I listen to lots of live music, and I never found my Schiit multibit DACs (Bimby and Yggy) to lack bass relative to what I hear live. It's fine if you prefer bass over-emphasis, but I'd not call "high end" to any gear that distorts the real balance among frequencies and instruments.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,608 of 6,469
Sorry, I don't know how to multi quote

RKW: It takes 2 people to move my rack to swap out the Magni 2 Uber with Jot on my HT so I'll try when I get some help. It's set up in a unique way.

Letmebefrank: I tend to agree it's probably the Modi. I tried exactly what you recommended. I maxed out the pot (no audio/paused) and no hiss. Dead silent. Very relieved (even though I felt pretty good about it anyway) that it isn't any of my HP's.

Windcar: I'll give it a try. I'm up for anything and will test it out tomorrow after work. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cskippy: I absolutely did what you suggested. Ain't going to blow the drivers on my HP's and especially my ears. Thank you sir for all your posts, interest and help!

I'm stumped guys. Don't get me wrong, my system stills sounds good, but it's that damn hiss I can't deal with. The Jot is a nice amp and packs a punch. Probably should have just got the onboard DAC they offered for another bill. It really pairs well with all 3 sets of my cans. You've all been very helpful and it's more appreciated then you know. This is a great site because of the people, not the content...even though that's cool too!

I'll start all over tomorrow and give all your suggestions (and insights) a try and hopefully I can figure this out with the assistance that you've already offered me already. Thanx again.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #4,609 of 6,469
I've used a Jot with two DACs, Bimby and Holo Spring KTE 3 (both fed by pretty high-end digital sources). I hear hiss is when I listen to digital remasterings of old analog recordings, but most modern recordings with all-digital masters are totally quiet in the silences/low-volume passages. My hunch is that the problem in with the DAC or its source.

I primarily listen to modern music (Progressive metal and jazz...how's that for a disparity?) and old school and there's hiss on everything, I'm leaning towards what you guys are saying...the source or DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4,613 of 6,469
Hi I was wondering if anyone has experience of a jot with dac card and a ifi idsd black label? There both about the same price and was wondering from a purely sound point of view which would be considered better?

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,614 of 6,469
I've not read this thread for a few months so apologies if I'm repeating a question that's already been asked, but I'd like some advice on the best Schiit amp to pair with the HD800S? I have read previously that Schiit amps in general are often not recommended for the HD800 and HD800S as their slightly lean and bright character exaggerates the reported "toppiness" of these headphones. The Jotunheim in particular does not seem to be considered a good pairing from what I have read, is that fair to conclude?

I own a Valhalla 1 with stock tubes (originally bought a few years ago to pair with my HD600) and currently have a Jotunheim on home demo. I don't hear a significant difference in HF between these two amps, but I do hear differences in other areas. The Jot sounds "drier" and faster and has slightly more prominent upper mids and a leaner and grippier bass, while the "Valhalla" sounds "wetter" with a slightly weightier and longer-lasting bass and a slightly wider and more dimensional soundstage and I think provides a slightly richer soundscape overall. The Jot sounds more resolving to my ears, while the Valhalla 1 sounds more engaging. To sum up, both amps have their own pros and cons, but I could probably live with either using my HD800S. My main complaint about my Valhalla 1 is the low-level hum that is constantly audible through my headphones. I don't know if Valhalla 2 is any quieter in this regard?

The HD800S are my main headphones but I often get other headphones to demo/review, so I am looking for a decent headphone amp that works well with a variety of headphones. The Jot seems very good value for money and offers wide compatibility, while the Valhalla specs suggest it is best suited to high impedance 'phones.

Or maybe I should consider upgrading to a Lyr 2 or even a Mjolnir 2? I had a Mjolnir 2 on home demo last year and thought it sounded awesome, but I didn't try it with HD800S, only Mr Speakers Ether which I had at the time. The drawback to buying a Mjolnir 2 is finding space for it in my hifi rack because it won't stack neatly on my Bifrost. So many first world problems!....

PS - I currently have a pair of Utopias on home demo to review. Maybe my ears are now shot after an infection last year (my left ear now maxes out at 12.5kHz and my right ear at 14kHz, which I think is below average for a 31-yr old), but overall I actually prefer the sound profile of my HD800S. The Utopias have superior bass and mids, but I'm finding the HF a bit soft and rolled off. They don't have the 'airiness' of the HD800S. I suppose I should be relieved because my preference for the HD800S has saved me some serious $$$!...

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,615 of 6,469
I've not read this thread for a few months so apologies if I'm repeating a question that's already been asked, but I'd like some advice on the best Schiit amp to pair with the HD800S? I have read previously that Schiit amps in general are often not recommended for the HD800 and HD800S as their slightly lean and bright character exaggerates the reported "toppiness" of these headphones. The Jotunheim in particular does not seem to be considered a good pairing from what I have read, is that fair to conclude?

I own a Valhalla 1 with stock tubes (originally bought a few years ago to pair with my HD600) and currently have a Jotunheim on home demo. I don't hear a significant difference in HF between these two amps, but I do hear differences in other areas. The Jot sounds "drier" and faster and has slightly more prominent upper mids and a leaner and grippier bass, while the "Valhalla" sounds "wetter" with a slightly weightier and longer-lasting bass and a slightly wider and more dimensional soundstage and I think provides a slightly richer soundscape overall. The Jot sounds more resolving to my ears, while the Valhalla 1 sounds more engaging. To sum up, both amps have their own pros and cons, but I could probably live with either using my HD800S. My main complaint about my Valhalla 1 is the low-level hum that is constantly audible through my headphones. I don't know if Valhalla 2 is any quieter in this regard?

The HD800S are my main headphones but I often get other headphones to demo/review, so I am looking for a decent headphone amp that works well with a variety of headphones. The Jot seems very good value for money and offers wide compatibility, while the Valhalla specs suggest it is best suited to high impedance 'phones.

Or maybe I should consider upgrading to a Lyr 2 or even a Mjolnir 2? I had a Mjolnir 2 on home demo last year and thought it sounded awesome, but I didn't try it with HD800S, only Mr Speakers Ether which I had at the time. The drawback to buying a Mjolnir 2 is finding space for it in my hifi rack because it won't stack neatly on my Bifrost. So many first world problems!....

PS - I currently have a pair of Utopias on home demo to review. Maybe my ears are now shot after an infection last year (my left ear now maxes out at 12.5kHz and my right ear at 14kHz, which I think is below average for a 31-yr old), but overall I actually prefer the sound profile of my HD800S. The Utopias have superior bass and mids, but I'm finding the HF a bit soft and rolled off. They don't have the 'airiness' of the HD800S. I suppose I should be relieved because my preference for the HD800S has saved me some serious $$$!...

The MJ2 is an impressive amp and with some good tubes can make the HD800S sing...

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #4,616 of 6,469
... My main complaint about my Valhalla 1 is the low-level hum that is constantly audible through my headphones. I don't know if Valhalla 2 is any quieter in this regard?...

No hum on my Valhalla 2. That said, could the hum be somewhere else in your audio chain with your Valhalla 1?

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #4,617 of 6,469
The lowering of the noise floor was one of the big improvements achieved by use DC heaters for the tubes in the Valhalla 2 vs the original Valhalla...

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #4,618 of 6,469
My main complaint about my Valhalla 1 is the low-level hum that is constantly audible through my headphones. I don't know if Valhalla 2 is any quieter in this regard?

I don't know about the Valhalla 2, but I had a constant low hum in my Jotunheim that was audible at all times. This was probably because I have a high end desktop PC, 2 monitors, my Schiit and all other various electronics on my desk plugged into the same power strip, so I replaced my crap Monster power strip with a Furman PST-8D and now my Jot is dead silent with nothing playing, even at max volume on high gain.

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #4,619 of 6,469
No hum on my Valhalla 2. That said, could the hum be somewhere else in your audio chain with your Valhalla 1?

The lowering of the noise floor was one of the big improvements achieved by use DC heaters for the tubes in the Valhalla 2 vs the original Valhalla...

I don't know about the Valhalla 2, but I had a constant low hum in my Jotunheim that was audible at all times. This was probably because I have a high end desktop PC, 2 monitors, my Schiit and all other various electronics on my desk plugged into the same power strip, so I replaced my crap Monster power strip with a Furman PST-8D and now my Jot is dead silent with nothing playing, even at max volume on high gain.

The hum is just on my Valhalla, none of my other Schiit gear hums. The chassis of the amp hums, and there is also hum through the headphones. I sent it off to Electromod last year who replaced the PS but then put the original one back in because the replacement actually hummed slightly louder than the original! If the Valhalla 2 is quieter then I might consider upgrading to it. For those who have heard the Valhalla 2, Jotunheim, Lyr 2 and Mjolnir 2 I'd be very grateful for a summary comparison? :)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #4,620 of 6,469
My main complaint about my Valhalla 1 is the low-level hum that is constantly audible through my headphones.
The hum is most likely a grounding problem in your system. Try unplugging and replugging all the tubes and connectors. Also search the forum ("valhalla hum") for this issue. For example: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/is-this-a-faulty-valhalla-tubes.561281/

Edit:
The chassis of the amp hums
Okay, that's not normal. You have a malfunctioning unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back