Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 28, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #226 of 6,472
The expansion module is interesting. Personally I'd never buy the $99 DAC card though -- I'd just get a modi. He hints at other cards coming (DSD?) or maybe even something like a tuner or Bluetooth module? I'll have to keep an eye on this.

@jude No pics of the new feet??

It will be interesting to compare the $99 DAC module to the Modi, Modi Uber, and Bifrost. I highly believe that the module should sound better than the Modi/ Uber but it becomes less clear with the Bifrost.

The $99 module sounds like a fantastic deal for having a balanced dac. Yes, the dac chip itself is cheap but don't forget the extra circuitry that goes into accommodating the addition chip. And know Mike, he won't have cut any corners in designing "just a dac module'

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #227 of 6,472
Seems like an home run for the price. If I had missed out on the Liquid Carbon, I would be grabbing one of these.

I missed out on the LC (twice) so the Jot (with the dac module) will be on my desktop.

Ironically, I remember the separate dac thread just for the LC. Thread got pretty long with all of us looking for the right balanced dac. There were also rumors of a Cavalli dac after several us asked  if Alex could integrate one into to LC.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #228 of 6,472
Emotiva's XDA-2 did all of this, along with multiple inputs (coax, 2 toslink, AES and USB) for less than $300 (I got mine for $200 as they lowered the price near the end)

Granted it was bigger and not upgrade able, but the volume control between the preamp and headphone also had a memory function.

It had balanced in and out, but NOT a headphone balanced out.

Yes, however the xda-2 had a weak headphone amp, in my humble opinion.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #229 of 6,472
So, yes, in a DAC implementation matters as much or more than the chips. But let me say, I have a DAC that uses the same dual AK4490 configuration, the Cayin iDAC6 and it DESTROYS every other D/S DAC I've heard. In fact it exceeds the Modi multibit in some ways. It easily beats the Grace m9XX as a DAC (which uses a single AK4490). So, unless Schitt dropped the ball in the rest of the implementation (something they're not known for doing), I'd expect the DAC in the Joty to be REALLY good. The iDAC6 has a substantially beefier power supply and buffer stage to the Joty's so, I'd expect some drop off there. But I would be shocked if the DAC unit on this didn't wipe the floor with the modi2U in sound quality from USB.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #231 of 6,472
I like the fact that it's quite energy efficient.  My Ayre power amp uses 360 watts when in operating mode with no signal, so I gotta make up for it somewhere I guess.  This one uses less than a Mjolnir. I wonder how it sounds compared to a (solid state) Mjolnir, or how the single ended performance compares to an Asgard 2; or how the phono module sounds.

Quote:
  This is such great value for anyone who's looking for an all in one. 

I think it could be good just as an amp, with or without an expansion module.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #232 of 6,472
So, yes, in a DAC implementation matters as much or more than the chips. But let me say, I have a DAC that uses the same dual AK4490 configuration, the Cayin iDAC6 and it DESTROYS every other D/S DAC I've heard. In fact it exceeds the Modi multibit in some ways. It easily beats the Grace m9XX as a DAC (which uses a single AK4490). So, unless Schitt dropped the ball in the rest of the implementation (something they're not known for doing), I'd expect the DAC in the Joty to be REALLY good. The iDAC6 has a substantially beefier power supply and buffer stage to the Joty's so, I'd expect some drop off there. But I would be shocked if the DAC unit on this didn't wipe the floor with the modi2U in sound quality from USB.

I reckon your spot on there. I can't see Schist releasing anything substandard. I ordered one based on this belief.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #233 of 6,472
I reckon your spot on there. I can't see Schist releasing anything substandard. I ordered one based on this belief.

Yeah, they sometimes release stuff that I don't personally love but it usually has more to do with preference than being sub-par. I'm not a huge fan of their amps, but I appreciate them for what they are. Their DACs I love, pretty much top to bottom other than the old Modi.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #234 of 6,472
I'm considering getting a new headphone amp, was set on the Vallhala 2, but now wondering about this.

Assuming:

• I'm using an external DAC (currently Modi 2 Uber, future upgrade to Bimby); and
• Sennheiser HD650 exclusively, willing to invest in balanced cables

Would be curious to compare:

• Valhalla 2
• Jotunheim (SE)
• Jotunheim (Balanced)

I'm curious about exploring a balanced setup (and wonder if Schiit will release a balanced Bifrost/Bimby in the future to match Jotunheim), but I know the HD650s have a special synergy with OTLs like Valhalla. For these cans only, what do you reckon is the better choice?

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #235 of 6,472

Yeah, they sometimes release stuff that I don't personally love but it usually has more to do with preference than being sub-par. I'm not a huge fan of their amps, but I appreciate them for what they are. Their DACs I love, pretty much top to bottom other than the old Modi.

Same here, I like Schiit DACs, but less so with Schiit amps. The amps, even the Ragnarok, don't bring that level of transparency of great amps, and not even at the level AudioGD amps. AudioGD has great emphasis in the power supply in their design, just look at the 3 big R-core transformers in their top amps, and most of the components are dedicated to the power supply circuitries. But I think not all people value transparency.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #236 of 6,472
Dun forget this amp have "pivot point" and " C" core transformer , those are newly implemented. Will like to know how it sound against other schiit amps.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #237 of 6,472
I'm considering getting a new headphone amp, was set on the Vallhala 2, but now wondering about this.

Assuming:

• I'm using an external DAC (currently Modi 2 Uber, future upgrade to Bimby); and
• Sennheiser HD650 exclusively, willing to invest in balanced cables

Would be curious to compare:

• Valhalla 2
• Jotunheim (SE)
• Jotunheim (Balanced)

I'm curious about exploring a balanced setup (and wonder if Schiit will release a balanced Bifrost/Bimby in the future to match Jotunheim), but I know the HD650s have a special synergy with OTLs like Valhalla. For these cans only, what do you reckon is the better choice?

My daily driver is an HD600. I have it balanced but used it single ended with an adapter to the Valhalla 2. I agree on the synergy between that amp and the HD6x0 line. I'm selling my Valhalla 2 and moving to a Joti, but I also use some planars and IEMs and the Joti drives them all, whereas the Valhalla 2 does not (I currently have a separate SS amp for those which I will also be selling when the Joti arrives).

I'll say this, if you suppose the Valhalla 2 has total synergy with the HD6x0, then I'd put the Joti at 85% of that. This is using the HD600 balanced. I usually don't like the 600 with SS amps, but the Joti paired very well with the 600. I don't think I'll miss the Valhalla 2, even though it is very good with the right headphone pairing.

If you aren't jumping into a balanced setup with both feet, stick with what you have for now. However, you could get the Joti with the DAC module and sell the M2U, then balance your 650. That would give you a totally balanced setup and you could wait to see if Schiit announces a balanced Bifrost, or just save up for a Gumby/Yggy.

Personally if I only used a 650 and didn't have any balanced components, I wouldn't switch to the Jotunheim at this time. Because I have multiple headphones, all balanced but otherwise with different power requirements, the Joti makes complete sense for me.

You don't lose anything by waiting.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #238 of 6,472
I still don't think Schiit will come out with a balanced Bifrost, don't see how it fits into their DAC line up.Regarding Schiit DAC options for the Jot, they have it fully covered from the DAC module, to the Mimby all the way up to the Yggy.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #239 of 6,472
For the record, I think I am a seriuos audiophile and I appreciate affordable products that provide value- why people always have to assume we have to spend thousands to get "serious audiophile sound" just saying. I like the all in one solution for a desktop system.

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #240 of 6,472
My daily driver is an HD600. I have it balanced but used it single ended with an adapter to the Valhalla 2. I agree on the synergy between that amp and the HD6x0 line. I'm selling my Valhalla 2 and moving to a Joti, but I also use some planars and IEMs and the Joti drives them all, whereas the Valhalla 2 does not (I currently have a separate SS amp for those which I will also be selling when the Joti arrives).

I'll say this, if you suppose the Valhalla 2 has total synergy with the HD6x0, then I'd put the Joti at 85% of that. This is using the HD600 balanced. I usually don't like the 600 with SS amps, but the Joti paired very well with the 600. I don't think I'll miss the Valhalla 2, even though it is very good with the right headphone pairing.

If you aren't jumping into a balanced setup with both feet, stick with what you have for now. However, you could get the Joti with the DAC module and sell the M2U, then balance your 650. That would give you a totally balanced setup and you could wait to see if Schiit announces a balanced Bifrost, or just save up for a Gumby/Yggy.

Personally if I only used a 650 and didn't have any balanced components, I wouldn't switch to the Jotunheim at this time. Because I have multiple headphones, all balanced but otherwise with different power requirements, the Joti makes complete sense for me.

You don't lose anything by waiting.

Thanks for the considered response, very helpful!

I'll be hanging on to the M2U as I use the optical input for tv/movies/games along with USB for PC music. Hopefully it's roughly on par with the Joti DAC module, or at least close enough that I'm not missing much until I take a bigger step up Schiit's DAC line.

Decisions, decisions. If the Joti is not markedly better than Valhalla 2 with HD650s (even comparing Joti balanced vs Valhalla SE), or potentially not even quite as good lacking some of the synergy/magic, then might as well go with the V2 and get the fun of tube rolling and tube glow and live happily ever after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back