Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 6, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,711 of 6,473
I usually oiled my cable when I received them...it gives a smoother sound and make transfer of data much faster

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,714 of 6,473
I dunno much about USB cables in the audio world.  But one of my clients is a VAR, selling/installing/supporting audio visual equipment, IP video surveillance equipment, and video conferencing equipment.  Some types of digital cables do affect quality of video.  I'm not talking analog signal cables, I'm talking digital cables.  I'm also not talking about USB cables, so my two cents might be meaningless.

But...anyway, in the video teleconferencing world (mostly H.264 or MGCP and G711/729 for audio), or in the IP video surveillance world (now more and more H.265), the phrase "a cat 6 is a cat6 is a cat6" doesn't fly.  ComScope's low end cables dramatically affect video and audio quality, and their higher end Systimax cables, when comparing the same category ethernet cable (generally cat6, though the comparison works with cat5E also), always perform better.  Significantly better.

Dunno if that applies to USB cables, but just because a cable is sending digital data, doesn't mean they're all the same, that's for sure.

----

Either way, seems from reading comments that this is a fairly common controversial topic.  But for me, at least, all this talk wasn't totally pointless for the Jot thread.  I will purchase a better USB cable (not a $150 cable, way outa budget for me, but maybe at least PYST cable).  $20 is worth it for an experiment.

Thanks for the info and different perspectives.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,715 of 6,473
  I dunno much about USB cables in the audio world.  But one of my clients is a VAR, selling/installing/supporting audio visual equipment, IP video surveillance equipment, and video conferencing equipment.  Some types of digital cables do affect quality of video.  I'm not talking analog signal cables, I'm talking digital cables.  I'm also not talking about USB cables, so my two cents might be meaningless.

But...anyway, in the video teleconferencing world (mostly H.264 or MGCP and G711/729 for audio), or in the IP video surveillance world (now more and more H.265), the phrase "a cat 6 is a cat6 is a cat6" doesn't fly.  ComScope's low end cables dramatically affect video and audio quality, and their higher end Systimax cables, when comparing the same category ethernet cable (generally cat6, though the comparison works with cat5E also), always perform better.  Significantly better.

Dunno if that applies to USB cables, but just because a cable is sending digital data, doesn't mean they're all the same, that's for sure.

----

Either way, seems from reading comments that this is a fairly common controversial topic.  But for me, at least, all this talk wasn't totally pointless for the Jot thread.  I will purchase a better USB cable (not a $150 cable, way outa budget for me, but maybe at least PYST cable).  $20 is worth it for an experiment.

Thanks for the info and different perspectives.

HD video bandwidth probably becomes an issue, won't be an issue for 2 channel audio on USB.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,718 of 6,473
i imagine the distances can be quite a bit longer. Most people here aren't going to use a cable more than what like 10ft? 20 ft tops? i imagine a lot with what he's doing could be like 100 or 200 ft, maybe more.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,719 of 6,473
More of a capability thing then. I've also been reading there's practically no difference between USB 1.1 and 2.0, is that true? I know the Jot strictly recommends 2.0.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,720 of 6,473
  i imagine the distances can be quite a bit longer. Most people here aren't going to use a cable more than what like 10ft? 20 ft tops? i imagine a lot with what he's doing could be like 100 or 200 ft, maybe more.

So what? Digital is digital, bits are bits, yada-yada. Right? They survive forever and over an infinite distance. Right?

I presume you're all RF engineers here. Right?

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,721 of 6,473
  Apologies if this has been covered, but a thread search was unsuccessful.
Has anyone used an (iPhone or iPad) > CCK > USB on the Jotunheim?
If so, any impressions or problems?

And as we speak about USB cables... Yes, iPad mini works via CCK perfectly with Jot and what's important it works without powered USB hub. It also works partially with Galaxy S7 Android phone via OTG cable, partialy because there is frequent clicking noise present so this set-up is not useable.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,722 of 6,473

So what? Digital is digital, bits are bits, yada-yada. Right? They survive forever and over an infinite distance. Right?

I presume you're all RF engineers here. Right?

yep, you caught us, we aren't all RF engineers so we better ignore our limited knowledge on digital vs analog signals and spend hundreds of dollars on small usb cables...

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,724 of 6,473
  HD video bandwidth probably becomes an issue, won't be an issue for 2 channel audio on USB.

Yeah, that makes sense.  Also, when I talk digital in the IP world, I'm only knowledgeable around IP packets, or mostly ethernet protocol or tcp-ip.  

I guess USB audio protocols work differently.  The link that was posted early certainly seems to indicate that it's sending binary (though that sounds odd to me, coming from a packet world).

Oh well.  Either way, interesting stuff.

Thanks again.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,725 of 6,473
can we please go back to jotun amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back