Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 5, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,681 of 6,473
I think mine is already pretty short, just long enough to reach the pc which is only like 2ft. I'm starting to think the problem was something else. Maybe I tried using it before the 20s warm up.

Oct 5, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #1,682 of 6,473
Not touching the cable debate with a ten foot pole, all I'll say is going from a stock USB cable to a LH labs 1G made a major jump in SQ in my system. You will hear different opinions from both sides, but IMO there's no point spending $400 on an amp and or $250 on DAC and using $5 cables since a system is only as good as its weakest link. In my experience I did not hear how good my system really was until I ditched cheap cables and realized they were a bottleneck. And you don't need uber expensive cables either, I would just avoid the cheap stuff. YMMV, IMO, etc etc

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #1,683 of 6,473
Not touching the cable debate with a ten foot pole, all I'll say is going from a stock USB cable to a LH labs 1G made a major jump in SQ in my system. You will hear different opinions from both sides, but IMO there's no point spending $400 on an amp and or $250 on DAC and using $5 cables since a system is only as good as its weakest link. In my experience I did not hear how good my system really was until I ditched cheap cables and realized they were a bottleneck. And you don't need uber expensive cables either, I would just avoid the cheap stuff. YMMV, IMO, etc etc

Except that you just fully touched the cable debate.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #1,684 of 6,473

Except that you just fully touched the cable debate.

+1

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,686 of 6,473
  I think mine is already pretty short, just long enough to reach the pc which is only like 2ft. I'm starting to think the problem was something else. Maybe I tried using it before the 20s warm up.

Only thing I look for in a USB cable is Ferrite beads close to the ends and agree with @pdferguson, use the shortest possible.  Another thing is too many issues with USB drivers so I will always use optical or coax first, USB is my least preferred connection.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #1,689 of 6,473
Oct 6, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,690 of 6,473
USB length is negligible.      

The reason we have balanced cables like XLR is because they carry an analog electrical signal, and if the cable is one meter or greater in length will pick up noticeable electromagnetic interference from surrounding electronics and radio waves.

Since USB is digital, it is not susceptible to such interference. The handshake will either fail, or work 100% properly.

However, power over USB can be an issue.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #1,691 of 6,473
is it better to spend 150 more and get Modi Multibit + Jotunheim instead of the builtin DAC with JOT ?

any experiences ?

I wonder how the synergy works between the two and if it gives better result to justify the extra cost spend ? 

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #1,692 of 6,473
Just spend the extra 150 now if you're already thinking you may want it. Tons of people have raved about this combo and the mimby more or less a bimby that's not upgradable. Maybe schiit will have a new purpose for that expansion slot in the future too.

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #1,693 of 6,473
  is it better to spend 150 more and get Modi Multibit + Jotunheim instead of the builtin DAC with JOT ?

any experiences ?

I wonder how the synergy works between the two and if it gives better result to justify the extra cost spend ? 

It depends on what your plans are and whether YOU think it's worth it.  IMO, I use a Gumby with my Jodie and love the pairing.  Is it the best ever? No Does it drive my HE-6 to it's full potential?  No, but it only costs $400 and is a useful tool as a balanced preamp and is silent for even the most sensitive IEMs.  It also will let your gear shine through, which showcases the Multibit technology very well.  I would say it's worth it.

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #1,694 of 6,473

Schiit Jotunheim vs. Chord Mojo
They two sound very different from each other. Jot extends farther both into bass and treble side and draws with more delicate and thiner line that leaves more space for air and creates deeper soundstage. Mojo has more focused sound and draws with thicker line. Jot sound is more dynamic and lively than Mojo's. I find acoustic instruments sound more true in Jot and in Mojo they sound bit more digital and oversweetened than in Jot. Jot pairs better with neutral to warm headphones and Mojo pairs better with neutral to bright headphones. I tried both Jot and Mojo with different tracks and can't tell you which one is better because it really varied from track to track.

Thank you so much for your comments. I have a more clear picture now and likely I will go for jot for my newly bought Elear. After all, I prefer a desktop amp rather than a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back