Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 5, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,667 of 6,473

Sounds like the issue with with the DAC, not the amp. If you have another DAC, or even the line out on the sound card or computer, connect it directly to the line in of the Jodie. If you still get static, then it's possibly the amp. 

If you think it's the DAC, try a difference USB cable, a difference USB port, or even a different computer. Finally, contact Schiit support to see if they have a solution. 

It's the internal DAC. What confusing is restarting the computer fixed the problem, though I want to avoid that if possible. The USB cable is an old one I had lying around. Any recommended cables?

lots of audiophiles recommend the Belkin gold cable:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F3U133V-06-GLD-6-Foot-Hi-Speed-Cable/dp/B000621N26

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,668 of 6,473
I guess the question is if the DAC was standalone, what price would it need to be to be able to recommend it? Lots seem to think it's pretty good for $100; is it good for a $150, or $200 dac?

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #1,669 of 6,473
Nope I think this issue is Schiit related. Both my Magni2U and Vali2 pop on startup.

nerone said, "Valhalla2 had thumps on the preamplifier outputs" of which he said that "Schiit replied this was normal behavior."

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,672 of 6,473
nerone said, "Valhalla2 had thumps on the preamplifier outputs" of which he said that "Schiit replied this was normal behavior."

Both my Magni and Vali amps pop through the preamp output (heard coming out of my powered speakers) and headphone output. With or without a DAC connected.

I like their amps but don't like this "normal behavior". I suspect it's the design because my Lake People amp doesn't do this.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,673 of 6,473

Both my Magni and Vali amps pop through the preamp output (heard coming out of my powered speakers) and headphone output. With or without a DAC connected.

I like their amps but don't like this "normal behavior". I suspect it's the design because my Lake People amp doesn't do this.

Just to let things clear:
Valhalla did pop/thump on the preamplifier outputs only, no problem on the headphone out. This happened only way after startup and the with nothing playing, or at least I couldn't notice while something was playing.
Vali 2: does the pop/thump on startup, both on headphone and preamp output, no problem after startup.

Also the issue is not cable/source/headphone related as I use the same cables/souce/headphones with Schiit gear and Musical Fidelity. MF does not reproduce any of the Schiit's behaviour. Yesterday I measured the MF startup delay thinking that it would be longer than Schiit's, but MF is only 10 seconds.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,674 of 6,473
  Hi,
Can you tell me why the Bifrost 4490 does not suit the Jot but pair very well with the Asgard 2? Thanks

Its not that it sounds terrible, however I find the 4490 is not the best pairing compared to other offerings. The Ifi Micro paired like crap with the Asgard 2, yet the 4490 was just wonderful. Its all about synergy.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,675 of 6,473
  I have memory of someone trying 560 with Jot and had balanced cable, but can't seem to find the post now. Is the balanced output a big difference in quality? I'm thinking about building my own balanced cable. Trying to hear diffenence between high and low gain. For now I favour high, but can't tell why, might just be bias and the volume change.

I posted about the 560 with balanced cable.  I felt the bass impact improved and tightened up as well.  Also after some more time listening I would say overall control improved as well.  Not night and day but I feel it was definitely worth the upgrade. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,676 of 6,473
Just took delivery of my (amp only) Jodie and I've got it cooking along with some DanaCables just delivered as well.

A couple of things I noticed upon physical inspection of Jodie:

1. The 3 position selector switch is kind of sloppy in the center position (balanced) with a lot of play. Don't think it will be problem but note it. The full up and down positions lock firmly.

2. As delivered my power on/off switch was in the on position. I always check all equipment power switches before I start pushing AC male and female plugs, hooking up the interconnects and firing up the equipment feeding into it so no biggie.

Otherwise fit and finish up to Schiit's usual quality.

I was kind of surprised at how compact the unit is. Even the manual was half sized compared to the others I have for my other Schiit.
I would have paid more for a bottom plate finish like my other Schiit gear but I guess that's part of how they can sell this for just $399.00.

Have any of you owners removed the press-on feet and do they come out in one piece? I plan on putting 4 Herbie's Tenderfeet under Jodie to allow a little more air flow underneath as my Raggy is on the shelf underneath it, and an Oppo HA-1 sits along side of it.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #1,677 of 6,473
Anyone here have an iFi Micro iCan SE and a Jot for comparison?

Would also want to hear this comparison. 

As requested.  However, I'm not an audiophile, so please take this all with a grain of salt...

My setup was as follows:  Laptop streaming TIDAL > USB > Modi MB > RCA splitter cables > iCan SE/Jotunheim > HD600.  On the iCan SE, both the XBass and 3D switches were set to the OFF position.  Both amps were set to High Gain and volume matched (by ear) to the best of my ability.  I switched my headphones back and forth between the two amps while listening to various songs on TIDAL.

Compared to the Micro iCan SE, the Jotunheim sounds slightly more spacious and enveloping, with improved clarity.  These are not night-and-day differences, but they are noticeable.  Both amps sound phenomenal out of the Modi MB, but my personal preference would be the Jotunheim.

Note: If balanced headphones are used with the Jotunheim, that amp will outshine the iCan SE by an even greater margin.

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,678 of 6,473

Laptop streaming TIDAL > USB > Modi MB > RCA splitter cables > iCan SE/Jotunheim > HD600.

A bit off topic here, but I want to get the info out there.
Most people use asio or wasapi in Windows, but you can't do that with streaming. 

I have an active triple subscription to Tidal / Google Music / Spotify. I'm a bit of streaming junky.

The two best OS for audio stack are Linux (I use Ubuntu 16.04) and iOS.

Linux is a quantum leap forward in SQ over Windows for Tidal / Google Music / Spotify, I can't recommend it enough. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,679 of 6,473
  A bit off topic here, but I want to get the info out there.
Most people use asio or wasapi in Windows, but you can't do that with streaming. 

I have an active triple subscription to Tidal / Google Music / Spotify. I'm a bit of streaming junky.

The two best OS for audio stack are Linux (I use Ubuntu 16.04) and iOS.

Linux is a quantum leap forward in SQ over Windows for Tidal / Google Music / Spotify, I can't recommend it enough. 

comzee, if you use Roon player (www.roonlabs.com) you can use ASIO or Wasapi for Tidal. Unfortunately it does not support the other services.

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #1,680 of 6,473
  The USB cable is an old one I had lying around. Any recommended cables?

Others will disagree, but don't waste your money on an expensive USB cable. A decent USB cable should only cost you a couple bucks.

In my experience, the main thing with regard to DACs and USB cables is "the shorter, the better". Buy the shortest USB cable that will work, and you shouldn't have problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back