Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 6, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,741 of 6,473
Yeah, sort of what I imagined to be the case.  The 560s were quite decent with the Asgard 2.  The added power that the Jotunheiminsteininhauser would be quite beneficial.  On the other hand, the Asgard 2 provided just a nice little bit of warmth that seemed to "help" what I guess you could call the 560s shortcomings.

Thank-you very much @JLoud and @Vigrith !  Much appreciated.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #1,742 of 6,473
So, it's either the Jot or the Elise for me and my HD650. Anyone tried both and can comment on their sound signature?

I had the 650 briefly with the Jotunheim. I did not like the 650, but I couldn't imagine them sounding much better as far as the technical aspects go. And plenty of people have raved about the pairing.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,743 of 6,473
I had the 650 briefly with the Jotunheim. I did not like the 650, but I couldn't imagine them sounding much better as far as the technical aspects go. And plenty of people have raved about the pairing.

Maybe you might consider refraining from commenting on a headphone you had for a day. Lots of good advisers here that have lots of experience with the 650. Don't want to miss lead people.

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,744 of 6,473
Sooooo, Good news for OSX Sierra users (and I'm guessing El Capitan users too, though I upgraded yesterday, so can't test El Capitan anymore)

The Schiit Wyrd works.  

I was expecting it to not work....but...have been testing for the last hour, no distortion, no static, no nothing....
Hasn't really changed the sound for me (but then, maybe the difference is too subtle for me to notice).

Woot woot!

Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped me resolve the frustrating problems I was having.

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,745 of 6,473

if you didnt like the 650, no matter the amp, you probably wouldnt like them. so refrain any comment for amps match with the 650.

and youve had the 650 for a day but you think you can offer advise about the hd650 and amp?

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,746 of 6,473
I actually had the 650 for nearly a week. Plenty of time to get familiar with it and provide informed commentary.

How many hours break-in did you give 'em?  I've had two pairs of HD600, one sounded great straight from the box, the other sounded like ass until 100-200hrs playing time.  Even then the two pairs never sounded identical, one pair always had a more spacious soundstage than the other.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #1,747 of 6,473
How many hours break-in did you give 'em?  I've had two pairs of HD600, one sounded great straight from the box, the other sounded like ass until 100-200hrs playing time.  Even then the two pairs never sounded identical, one pair always had a more spacious soundstage than the other.

They were used, already broken in. But break in is not going to dramatically alter the sound of a headphone. If a headphone's sound signature isn't for you, break in isn't going to do diddly squat. I find break in tends to tame steely treble or slightly thin sound more than anything.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #1,748 of 6,473
  How many hours break-in did you give 'em?  I've had two pairs of HD600, one sounded great straight from the box, the other sounded like ass until 100-200hrs playing time.

I'm pretty sure it's not about that (in this case in particular at least) - @ColtMrFire just doesn't enjoy that sort of signature from what I've gathered. I do, I prefer the 650s to my T90s for daily listening and with most of my music whilst he loves the T90s and disliked the 650s. Happens, they are very different headphone, almost polar opposites, taste is bound to be diverse. I do agree a very short audition period is not really going to qualify someone to advise others on a pairing that includes the device at hand but he explicitly said that was the case; I'm sure people can draw their own conclusions off of that, not sure why it'd warrant people hounding him.

That said, from someone who loves the HD650s, I do think they pair exceptionally well with the Jotunheim (albeit me having limited experience with solid state devices, I'm a tube kinda guy).

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #1,749 of 6,473
To be fair your decision was made against the HD650 the first day in which you did a bunch of mods including removing rear foam and not the spider with it.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,750 of 6,473
I actually had the 650 for nearly a week. Plenty of time to get familiar with it and provide informed commentary.

you dont like hd650. nobody cares about that.

how can you then make advise for amps for hd650 for people who likes their hd650 and want a suitable amp. this is where its just non sense.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #1,751 of 6,473
Not liking a headphone's sound signature and being able to understand and appreciate (and recommend) its technical merits are two different things. Reviews are actually supposed to be fair, honest and balanced. I actually recommended the pairing since he was obviously a fan of the 650. I used to own and love the HD600 (an the HD558) which is very similar to the 650, so I am already familiar with the Sennheiser house sound.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,752 of 6,473
Not liking a headphone's sound signature and being able to understand and appreciate (and recommend) its technical merits are two different things. Reviews are actually supposed to be fair, honest and balanced. I actually recommended the pairing since he was obviously a fan of the 650. I used to own and love the HD600 (an the HD558) which is very similar to the 650, so I am already familiar with the Sennheiser house sound.

ok thanks
btw did you mod the hd650 or they were stock?

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #1,753 of 6,473
To be fair your decision was made against the HD650 the first day in which you did a bunch of mods including removing rear foam and not the spider with it.

Not really. I went back and forth throughout the week. That was just my initial reaction. The 650 is a very good headphone, its just not one I'd listen to much.

Oct 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #1,755 of 6,473
I listened both stock and modded. The mod seemed to improve them a great deal.

wow, and you didnt like them! I see now that you had modded the 650 but left the spider. to me removing the spider also helped quite a bit... but I doubt it would have made love the 650 by removing the spider.

so you tried the hd800 with the jotun and prefered that? stock I cannot live with hd800, really need EQ via sonarworks. hope the hd800 pairs well with jotun once EQ'ed.

one of the only "affordable" headphone id want is hifiman he-x. maybe try those

Users who are viewing this thread

Back