Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #2,791 of 2,957
Good question. I mostly listen to youtube music. I have a D30Pro DAC running balanced into the Jot2 and single ended into the Asgard3. I was expecting better dynamics and clarity. I got that but it's not much. $199 vs. $400? Double the money for that miniscule difference? Are you kidding? I was just expecting a "nice difference" as suggested by Currawong in his YOUTUBE review of Jotenheim2. Could it be my DAC? My source material? I'm at a loss. I am 59 so perhaps it's my ears.
So I happen to have two Jotunheim 2. However, they sound somewhat different. One has PCB version 1.04 and the other is 1.02. The 1.04 has a very warm sound that is similar to Asgard 3 while the 1.02 is somewhat bright/analytical. I think you might have 1.04 board if it sounds close to Asgard 3. As far as I know, there were some silent revisions made to some Schiit's popular products between late 2019 to 2021. I know that there were three different board versions of AKM Modius and two versions of Bifrost 2 OG with each having its own sound signature.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #2,792 of 2,957
So I happen to have two Jotunheim 2. However, they sound somewhat different. One has PCB version 1.04 and the other is 1.02. The 1.04 has a very warm sound that is similar to Asgard 3 while the 1.02 is somewhat bright/analytical. I think you might have 1.04 board if it sounds close to Asgard 3. As far as I know, there were some silent revisions made to some Schiit's popular products between late 2019 to 2021. I know that there were three different board versions of AKM Modius and two versions of Bifrost 2 OG with each having its own sound signature.
Yeah, this is a Feb of '21 version.

Jun 24, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #2,793 of 2,957
I have somewhere around fifty headphone amplifiers right now and I have listened to the Schiit Asgard 3 the least out of all of them. It has sat unused more than any amplifier of mine since it was purchased new. The Schiit Jotunheim 2 sounds SO MUCH better leaps and bounds over my Asgard 3. My preferred DAC is a Schiit Bifrost 2 OG and my headphones are spinning a beautiful tale. However even with my other DACs the performance of the Jotunheim 2 is clearly evident over my Asgard 3 to me. Perhaps it may be that your Jotunheim 2 is not synergyzing well with the headphones that you own or perhaps the Asgard 3 synergy is so good with your headphones that it is beating higher model amps.
Also, have you tried flipping the gain switch? It turns the Jotunheim 2 into a completely different sounding amp. It just might surprise you how good the Jotunheim 2 sounds with the gain switch flipped to another mode with some of your headphones. Make certain to turn the volume down before flipping the gain switch so you don't blow out your ears.
Have to say, I agree 100% with this. Soundstage depth and dynamics are significantly better with the Jot2 Balanced vs the Asgard3 SE. This is especially noticeable with the Empyrean, Xe6, LCD2C, and to a lesser extent Andro2020.

Asgard3 is a nice amp for what it is, but Jot2 is definitely worth the extra $150 if you are going balanced.

Jun 24, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #2,794 of 2,957
I have somewhere around fifty headphone amplifiers right now and I have listened to the Schiit Asgard 3 the least out of all of them. It has sat unused more than any amplifier of mine since it was purchased new. The Schiit Jotunheim 2 sounds SO MUCH better leaps and bounds over my Asgard 3. My preferred DAC is a Schiit Bifrost 2 OG and my headphones are spinning a beautiful tale. However even with my other DACs the performance of the Jotunheim 2 is clearly evident over my Asgard 3 to me. Perhaps it may be that your Jotunheim 2 is not synergyzing well with the headphones that you own or perhaps the Asgard 3 synergy is so good with your headphones that it is beating higher model amps.
Also, have you tried flipping the gain switch? It turns the Jotunheim 2 into a completely different sounding amp. It just might surprise you how good the Jotunheim 2 sounds with the gain switch flipped to another mode with some of your headphones. Make certain to turn the volume down before flipping the gain switch so you don't blow out your ears.
Wow, that is saying something! It's nada for me. Perhaps it is the older revision of the Jotenheim2's silent revision as suggested by others. I'm going to try some different headphones. The gain switch is on HIGH. Using the Thieaudio Ghost headphones which are much, much, clearer and smoother than the 6xx Sennheiser's. I'm going to try my Edition XX to see if there are differences.

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,796 of 2,957
I have 1.02 version. I got a flashlight and looked in the vent holes. Physically, I wonder what was changed? Caps? Or.....?

Jun 25, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,798 of 2,957
I have 1.02 version. I got a flashlight and looked in the vent holes. Physically, I wonder what was changed? Caps? Or.....?
Is there somewhere that notes revisions? Mine is a 1.10

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #2,799 of 2,957

No idea. Schiit did run into supply chain issues during Covid, so I'm sure they had to find substitutes in order to keep production going. For example, here are the PCBs for the AKM Modius when it was still production, notice the different capacitors. I actually had all three at one point but ended up keeping the one with all red capacitors, because I found it to be the best sounding out of the bunch.

1687731122541.png
1687731153145.png
1687731402552.png

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #2,800 of 2,957
Mine is also a 1.10 revision, sounds way different from my previous Asgard 3, much cleaner and neutral. But still retains the increase dynamics and bass impact I liked about the Asgard. The differences between the two amps was pretty apparent to me.

Just got my Bifrost 2/64 in and was expecting more improvements pairing it with the Jot2, but I am having a very hard time finding any differences in sound with my Modius E. Much less clear of a distinction compared to the two amps.

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #2,801 of 2,957
Mine is also a 1.10 revision, sounds way different from my previous Asgard 3, much cleaner and neutral. But still retains the increase dynamics and bass impact I liked about the Asgard. The differences between the two amps was pretty apparent to me.

Just got my Bifrost 2/64 in and was expecting more improvements pairing it with the Jot2, but I am having a very hard time finding any differences in sound with my Modius E. Much less clear of a distinction compared to the two amps.
I have my BiFrost 2/64 hooked to my Jot2 (Balanced) and Asgard 3 (Single ended). Also have the ESS in Asgard. Can definitely tell the difference, the ESS is analytical type of sound. But the BiFrost makes both amps very musical for me anyways.

Jun 26, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #2,802 of 2,957
As a recent adopter of one of these with the dac, I can say it's a great piece of kit for the price. Well worth the money. Clear, crisp, and basic. Basic but great.

As to their claims of the "best $2400 amp dac for $500", idk about all that 😂

I'd say it's probably competing with such items up to 1k to 1.2k, but beyond that it starts getting much more competitive. Can probably be improved with better cables, power, rca, etc.

One of the better ones at the price point, definitely. Without question.

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #2,803 of 2,957
Presumably, the PCB changes were necessitated by (limited and ever-changing) parts availability of various semiconductor packages (e.g. TO-220 vs SOT-223 vs TO-263 vs TO-252 (EOL'd)) of the three-terminal adjustable voltage regulators U1 and U2. IIRC, first PCB change to swap to alternate package type, then an additional set of changes to make a "universal" pcb footprint capable of accepting a variety of package types.

from Jason, from this post, under "1. parts debacle"
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-5761#post-16725441

As to the amp voicing change from v1.02 to v1.04, one would best stack the two units and swap between them, keeping everything else (interconnects & power cables, gain settings, SE vs Bal out, same pair of headphones, same source track and digital music source settings, amp and DAC warm-up time, etc.) wholly and completely unchanged.

If anyone has PCB pics of Jotunheim v1.04, v1.10 please post or link to them on this thread (curious if there are other obvious changes) ...

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #2,804 of 2,957
Both amps are virtually indistiquishable single ended or balanced.
Not sure how your comparing the Asgard 3 balanced with the Jot 2 since Asgard 3 is singled ended. I'm guessing I am misinterpreting you. Anyhoo, if your not finding much of a difference between the two amps, keep the one you need and sell the other. If you don't need balanced in or out, then keep the Asgard 3, It's a wonderful amp. If your planning on using the pre-amp out, I'd choose the Jot 2 though.
If your looking for an upgrade, @LakeOfTheWyles mentioned the Soloist XP. For me, it was a distinguishable upgrade from the Jot 2. The Jot 2 is now the work office headphone amp, and the Soloist is the at home critical listening amp.

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #2,805 of 2,957
Schiit Jotunheim 2 amp has been on and in use for about 4 hours. I was curious so... took three temps readings by placing digital thermometer on amp chassis like seen in pic:

Room temp is 24.4C= 76F
Reading #1: 37.3C= 99.4F
Reading #2: 37C= 98.6F
Reading #3: 37C= 98.6F

If you have a Jot 2, after running it for awhile, please measure temp and let me know what you get? IIRC this amp use to run a lot warmer. Feels luke warm to touch now. Thanks, in advance!

Attachments

• Taking amp temp.jpg
    Taking amp temp.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back