Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #2,806 of 2,954
Schiit Jotunheim 2 amp has been on and in use for about 4 hours. I was curious so... took three temps readings by placing digital thermometer on amp chassis like seen in pic:

Room temp is 24.4C= 76F
Reading #1: 37.3C= 99.4F
Reading #2: 37C= 98.6F
Reading #3: 37C= 98.6F

If you have a Jot 2, after running it for awhile, please measure temp and let me know what you get? IIRC this amp use to run a lot warmer. Feels luke warm to touch now. Thanks, in advance!
Just adding my input--I notice mine can get quite hot, even just sitting there with no use, but turned on. It's hot enough to the touch to ALMOST not be able to keep your hand on it. Ambient temperature in my office is around 70-72F. I turn the amp off when done for the day. I also purchased a small fan to pass air over it. When the fan is running, it's quite cool. as you'd expect. I don't know if there is any need for concern, but the fan makes me feel better about having it on and keeping the temps down. This is what I boujght:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NNG7M11/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jun 29, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #2,807 of 2,954
Just adding my input--I notice mine can get quite hot, even just sitting there with no use, but turned on. It's hot enough to the touch to ALMOST not be able to keep your hand on it. Ambient temperature in my office is around 70-72F. I turn the amp off when done for the day. I also purchased a small fan to pass air over it. When the fan is running, it's quite cool. as you'd expect. I don't know if there is any need for concern, but the fan makes me feel better about having it on and keeping the temps down. This is what I boujght:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NNG7M11/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Take this with a grain of salt.... I've had the Jot2 since the day it was released. I only shut it off if I'm on a trip over night or longer. It is slightly warm to the touch whether it's on with no activity, or actually powering headphones. No difference. It sounds as if YMMV.

Leo

Jun 29, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #2,809 of 2,954
Only time mine ever got north of warm to the touch is if I stack it on bifrost 2. They both get warmer this way. Still wouldn't say hot though. If I don't stack then they run cooler. Jot 2 actually runs cooler when you're actively using it, if you leave it on and let it get warm then start listening it will actually cool off a bit.

Jun 29, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #2,810 of 2,954
Black Jot2 (PCB v1.02) sitting atop Lokius stop Bifrost Multibit OG, entire stack powered on 24/7. Per Fluke 179 DMM with thermocouple: room temp 70.6F, Jot2 case above transformer (logo area) 87.3F, between the two groups of top vent holes 93.4F, bottom of case ~1” from right edge and midway back 101.7F.
I consider these temps warm, but not hot, and perfectly normal

AC line power consumption: about 11.6W / 14.5 VA idling per Kill-a-Watt P3 AC power meter (-10% lower than Asgard 3).

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,811 of 2,954
Black Jot2 (PCB v1.02) sitting atop Lokius stop Bifrost Multibit OG, entire stack powered on 24/7. Per Fluke 179 DMM with thermocouple: room temp 70.6F, Jot2 case above transformer (logo area) 87.3F, between the two groups of top vent holes 93.4F, bottom of case ~1” from right edge and midway back 101.7F.

IIRC, about 11.6W / 14.5 VA idling per Kill-a-Watt P3 AC power meter (-10% lower than Asgard 3).
Just measured mine. Black Jot2 on top of Lokius on top of Bifrost 2. The Jot2 been sitting idle for over an hour and the rest powered up 24/7. Measured using a Thermoworks IR thermometer. Top of case averages out to around 100°F when measuring the four corners of the solid top. Sighting through the ventilation holes it measured around 110°F. That's about typical for me, regardless of it being idle or driving headphones. In the summer when the room is around 80 instead of 70, it's a little hotter to the touch but not so hot I can't keep my hand on it. Definitely not a Valhalla 2!

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #2,813 of 2,954

IIRC, about 11.6W / 14.5 VA idling per Kill-a-Watt P3 AC power meter (-10% lower than Asgard 3).
Thanks for the readings. Are these temps after they have been in use for awhile?

Jun 29, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #2,814 of 2,954
Just measured mine. Black Jot2 on top of Lokius on top of Bifrost 2. The Jot2 been sitting idle for over an hour and the rest powered up 24/7. Measured using a Thermoworks IR thermometer. Top of case averages out to around 100°F when measuring the four corners of the solid top. Sighting through the ventilation holes it measured around 110°F. That's about typical for me, regardless of it being idle or driving headphones. In the summer when the room is around 80 instead of 70, it's a little hotter to the touch but not so hot I can't keep my hand on it. Definitely not a Valhalla 2!
My Jot 2 is never turned off, when not in use volume is turned all the way down. DAC same, except in standby mode when not in use. I could swear when in use the chassis ran very warm to the touch. Helps heat the room in the winter and makes the room warmer than others in the summer.

Starting a month ago or so I noticed they were both barely warm to the touch, even after ended use. Several months back I have been using passive ground boxes with both components, which I "think" has caused them to run cooler. Just wanted to compare temp with others. Appreciate the responses.

Jun 29, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,815 of 2,954
Jot 2 actually runs cooler when you're actively using it
I have the same impression. It would make sense (to me) that it runs cooler "under load".

Jun 29, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #2,816 of 2,954
My Jot 2 is never turned off, when not in use volume is turned all the way down. DAC same, except in standby mode when not in use. I could swear when in use the chassis ran very warm to the touch. Helps heat the room in the winter and makes the room warmer than others in the summer.

Starting a month ago or so I noticed they were both barely warm to the touch, even after ended use. Several months back I have been using passive ground boxes with both components, which I "think" has caused them to run cooler. Just wanted to compare temp with others. Appreciate the responses.
Perhaps your Jot2 & BFM2(/64) have always dissipated the same power since new, but you have gotten used to the normal case temp rise.

As an experiment, connect the Amp & DAC to a Kill-Watt AC meter or a smart UPS with real-time load power consumption display. Disconnect your passive ground system and note if the AC power consumption changes.

Note that W (watts) is not the same as VA volt-amps but they are often correlated.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2,817 of 2,954
Perhaps your Jot2 & BFM2(/64) have always dissipated the same power since new, but you have gotten used to the normal case temp rise.

As an experiment, connect the Amp & DAC to a Kill-Watt AC meter or a smart UPS with real-time load power consumption display. Disconnect your passive ground system and note if the AC power consumption changes.

Note that W (watts) is not the same as VA volt-amps but they are often correlated.
Interesting experiment, thanks for the idea. Only meters I have that will test for watts are flukes and they are in storage. Will grab one next time I go to storage. 👍

Jun 30, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #2,818 of 2,954
Back in the day with the Jotunheim 1, the temperature rose high when an internal DAC card was installed compared to Jothunhem 1 with no DAC card installed. So, you all might want to consider this as well with your temperature readings of Jotunheim 2 when sharing.

Jul 1, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #2,819 of 2,954
I have a Jot 2 on top of Bifrost 2 on top of Lokius. I read that the Lokius should be kept some distance away from transformers, so I put it on the bottom. It sits on 4 hockey pucks which are risers. Am I doing this correctly? Or not? I see you guys put the Lokius right under the Jot 2, which has a transformer.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #2,820 of 2,954
I have a Jot 2 on top of Bifrost 2 on top of Lokius. I read that the Lokius should be kept some distance away from transformers, so I put it on the bottom. It sits in 4 hockey pucks which are risers. Am I doing this correctly? Or not? I see you guys put the Lokius right under the Jot 2, which has a transformer.
The correct way is the one that does not interfere with the integrity of the signal. I would first try it with DAC stacked on top. If there is interference, then move it further away. If there is none, then it can be left there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back