Schiit Jotunheim 2 - Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #2,822 of 2,954
Back in the day with the Jotunheim 1, the temperature rose high when an internal DAC card was installed compared to Jothunhem 1 with no DAC card installed. So, you all might want to consider this as well with your temperature readings of Jotunheim 2 when sharing.
That's an interesting thought. I did order my Jot2 with the internal DAC card--just so I had another option for comparison to my RME ADI-2, or when I wanted a change. Perhaps that is what's causing the high temps.

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #2,823 of 2,954
Well, the Jot 2 has heat escape vent holes on top, so I think putting it on top makes sense, to allow the heat to escape into the free air above, not cook another unit sitting right on top of it.
The Bi 2 and Lokius don't have these vent holes.
The Lokius does have vent holes. Coupled with posts from others regarding potential interference, it may be good practice to have Lokius separated from a Jot 2 / BF2 stack. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2,824 of 2,954
The Lokius does have vent holes. Coupled with posts from others regarding potential interference, it may be good practice to have Lokius separated from a Jot 2 / BF2 stack. As always, YMMV.
This stuff is designed to be run warm (normal) temps. The ventilation is built in and adequete, just my 2 cents... :)

Jul 3, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #2,825 of 2,954
My bad, the Lokius does have vent holes. There is about 1/4" clearance between the units for the heat to escape. Kinda hard to see without a flashlight lol. The Jot 2 also has side vent holes. I put it on top of the stack assuming it is the hottest running of the 3 units. Anyways, always a good discussion worrying about the Order of the Stack...lol.

Jul 3, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2,826 of 2,954
My setup, top-to-bottom is: Jot2, Lokius, BF2. No additional spacers. I can hear hum when I have the Jot 2 volume maxed out on high gain and with the Lokius' pots maxed. At normal listening levels with a moderate amount of boost from the Lokius, nothing but good music, even during quiet passages. I am using balanced interconnects throughout.

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #2,827 of 2,954
with the power switch being on the back, does anyone power down the jot2 via a surge protector? the series of clicks seems different after cutting the power at the outlet compared to flipping the switch on the back. I prefer to not have it powered on 24/7 like the bifrost.

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #2,828 of 2,954
with the power switch being on the back, does anyone power down the jot2 via a surge protector? the series of clicks seems different after cutting the power at the outlet compared to flipping the switch on the back. I prefer to not have it powered on 24/7 like the bifrost.
When I finish listening I turn vol wheel down and switch it off at the back.

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #2,829 of 2,954
When I finish listening I turn vol wheel down and switch it off at the back.
that's what I've been doing since I bought it but with my current desk layout it's kind of a pain. I have zero scientific or engineering reasoning lol but leaving it switched on and cutting the power just seems wrong. really trying to see if anyone more knowledgeable knows if doing that is bad for the amp

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #2,830 of 2,954
that's what I've been doing since I bought it but with my current desk layout it's kind of a pain. I have zero scientific or engineering reasoning lol but leaving it switched on and cutting the power just seems wrong. really trying to see if anyone more knowledgeable knows if doing that is bad for the amp
The power switch is literally just a switch, so there should be no difference between cutting/enabling power by it or some upstream switch/device.

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,831 of 2,954
The power switch is literally just a switch, so there should be no difference between cutting/enabling power by it or some upstream switch/device.
But he is saying its inconvenient to reach behind the stack to switch the Jot off, that's why the need for remote switch... :)

Jul 5, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #2,833 of 2,954
But he is saying its inconvenient to reach behind the stack to switch the Jot off, that's why the need for remote switch... :)
I got that. I was saying the Jot shouldn't care if it's power is switched by it's own switch or one upstream.

Jul 5, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #2,834 of 2,954
Yeah, the power switch on the back works identically to the power switch on a surge protector/power strip/etc, so as far as the amp is concerned, there's no difference which method you use to cut power. I use one of these to easily control power to my whole stack on an individual device basis:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQO5S0G

But standard rules always apply, turn volume to zero and disconnect headphones before cutting or restoring power.

Jul 5, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #2,835 of 2,954
Schiit says to just leave amp on. I called their showroom in Valencia, CA, emailed them while I was waiting for it and read posts they left on forums. I just leave mine on 24/7 and turn volume pot all the way down when not in use.

Did the same with the Asgard 3 when I was using that amp. Never had an issue with either amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back