Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 27, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #153,241 of 155,230
Then why did you ask for data when he merely shared his experience? Whatever, this is the internet...:deadhorse:
🎼 ..."got to be good looking sounding 'cause he's it's so hard to see hear" ... 🎵

May 27, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #153,242 of 155,230
Did someone mention room treatments? I’ve dabbled a bit…

It helps to have a dedicated space though.

IMG_4473.jpeg

May 27, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #153,244 of 155,230
P.S. Whenever I'm in a heavily treated room, my ears begin to hurt. What's with that? Even happened a little with a cloud absorber I made.
Apparently most people can't stand being the ultimately treated room - an anechoic chamber - for very long. Too quiet, you can hear your blood circulating. Freaks people out, so I've heard.

May 27, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #153,245 of 155,230
For Schiits and Giggles I just ran a few Dolby Atoms trailers from yootoob through my Syn. Don't know why I hadn't done it before.
(Apple TV with stereo selected for the output -->Oppo BDP-103 via the HDMI input on the back, Optical to a --> Bluesound Node 2i --> then into Syn)
Convoluted chain, I know.

Did it sound good, Schiit yeah.
Made a few tweaks to the settings to improve the sound field and the bottom end, and colour me impressed.

* Before anyone asks, no it's not a true atoms setup, but regardless it's damn good for a living room and comes with little complexity. Read the chapter.

May 27, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #153,246 of 155,230
Finally got one in decent condition... these are huge!
20240524_141607.jpg

Congrats! Not only are they retro-cool, they're useful! My orange GE case has pride-of-place below my Schiit stack.

May 27, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #153,247 of 155,230
Apparently most people can't stand being the ultimately treated room - an anechoic chamber - for very long. Too quiet, you can hear your blood circulating. Freaks people out, so I've heard.
I was at a location in Lancaster , PA that has an anechoic chamber. Was told the same thing. I begged to be able to get into that room , but ultimately could not.

May 27, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #153,248 of 155,230
F*#! Data, if you want data go hang out at ASR...

:deadhorse::L3000: Some times Darko's opinions are making up "science" to prove it is just a way to shill room treatment products.

If you like room treatment great, but I have a hard time believing carpet, curtains, and other elements added to a room don't help when I can hear it.

I hung one of my mother's quilts on the wall behind the couch at the prime listening position in my basement home theatre area. It made a huge difference, as did adding a rug. The floor is hardwood laminate over concrete.

May 27, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #153,249 of 155,230
A few years of personal experience.

While that's more than good enough for me, myself, and I, it's obviously not good enough to sway anybody else's opinion.
Nor should it.
Nor am I aiming to do so.
I am simply saying that his results don't reflect my own (for whatever reason that may be); a strategically placed (and properly filled) bookshelf, piece of padded furniture, or carpet can do wonders to take care of first reflections, killing most of the reverb and echo that he was trying to reduce in his rooms.

That is to say that all I intended to convey with my dissenting post was that the disconnect between his result/conclusion and my own at the very least demonstrates that one should play around with this stuff oneself before one jumps to conclusions.

Nothing more, nothing less. ✌️😎
TL;DR: YMMV, IOW?

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #153,250 of 155,230
A few years of personal experience.

While that's more than good enough for me, myself, and I, it's obviously not good enough to sway anybody else's opinion.
Nor should it.
Nor am I aiming to do so.
I am simply saying that his results don't reflect my own (for whatever reason that may be); a strategically placed (and properly filled) bookshelf, piece of padded furniture, or carpet can do wonders to take care of first reflections, killing most of the reverb and echo that he was trying to reduce in his rooms.

That is to say that all I intended to convey with my dissenting post was that the disconnect between his result/conclusion and my own at the very least demonstrates that one should play around with this stuff oneself before one jumps to conclusions.

Nothing more, nothing less. ✌️😎
This… oh, and yeah room treatments that optimize quasi-point source speakers are very NOT right for those that optimize planar/dipoles…

Source: my 40 years doing this… YMMV

May 27, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #153,251 of 155,230
On topic (what is the topic again...?): I went to a garage sale this weekend that a friend of mine was holding. He's a big kid at heart and his basement rec room is full of neat toys and gadgets, so I had some expectations. In particular, he had a lowish-end Polk Audio sub that would be perfect for my office stack that includes a Mac Studio Max, a D/S DAC, Loki Mini +, Vali 2++, and a pair of Fluance 6" powered speakers with a sub-out connection. The sub adds what was missing, though for some reason where my chair is positioned I had a dead zone for bass. It took some trial and error to find the right spot for the sub. It was a good deal, so, yay me.

Off topic (what is the topic again?): While there in his garage I noticed a Meade Giant Field Tripod. This is a massive beast of an astronomy tripod, more solid than the Rock of Gibraltar. It had an equatorial wedge attached and I did a triple take at the price. This combo retails for about CDN$2,300 before tax. The tripod alone is CDN$1,700 new. His price? $5 (five). I asked "is that correct?" Yup. "Are you sure?" Yup. It had been gathering dust and the hassle of finding a box, shipping it, insuring it etc. just wasn't worth it to him. Score! I can scratch a heavy-duty tripod off my astronomy gear list of thing to get. Now for a telescope mount to go on top.

I also found a deal on Canada's astronomy buy/sell site for a sweet deal on a new Astro-Physics AP1200GTO-GTOCP3 GEM mount, only CDN$13,500! My wife was rooting for me with the tripod. Not so much with the AP1200. Still looking for a mount.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #153,252 of 155,230
On topic (what is the topic again...?): I went to a garage sale this weekend that a friend of mine was holding. He's a big kid at heart and his basement rec room is full of neat toys and gadgets, so I had some expectations. In particular, he had a lowish-end Polk Audio sub that would be perfect for my office stack that includes a Mac Studio Max, a D/S DAC, Loki Mini +, Vali 2++, and a pair of Fluance 6" powered speakers with a sub-out connection. The sub adds what was missing, though for some reason where my chair is positioned I had a dead zone for bass. It took some trial and error to find the right sport for the sub. It was a good deal, so, yay me.

Off topic (what is the topic again?): While there in his garage I noticed a Meade Giant Field Tripod. This is a massive beast of an astronomy tripod, more solid than the Rock of Gibraltar. It had an equatorial wedge attached and I did a triple take at the price. This combo retails for about CDN$2,300 before tax. The tripod alone is CDN$1,700 new. His price? $5 (five). I asked "is that correct?" Yup. "Are you sure?" Yup. It had been gathering dust and the hassle of finding a box, shipping it, insuring it etc. just wasn't worth it to him. Score! I can scratch a heavy-duty tripod off my astronomy gear list of thing to get. Now for a telescope mount to go on top.

I also found a deal on Canada's astronomy buy/sell site for a sweet deal on a new Astro-Physics AP1200GTO-GTOCP3 GEM mount, only CDN$13,500! My wife was rooting for me with the tripod. Not so much with the 130-GTX. Still looking for a mount.
Two toonies and a loonie for a pricey & high quality tripod? Well done, mate! :smile_cat:

May 27, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #153,253 of 155,230
Same here.
We decorate the Schiit out of our great room where the big rig is.
Sad when it all comes down.

7 months to go...
Yeah, this was last year with the tree tween the apogees, when the amp was still there… this year it’ll be cleaner…

E8D84124-58DB-424C-A6A0-092E4639A41A.jpeg

May 27, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #153,254 of 155,230
On topic (what is the topic again...?): I went to a garage sale this weekend that a friend of mine was holding. He's a big kid at heart and his basement rec room is full of neat toys and gadgets, so I had some expectations. In particular, he had a lowish-end Polk Audio sub that would be perfect for my office stack that includes a Mac Studio Max, a D/S DAC, Loki Mini +, Vali 2++, and a pair of Fluance 6" powered speakers with a sub-out connection. The sub adds what was missing, though for some reason where my chair is positioned I had a dead zone for bass. It took some trial and error to find the right sport for the sub. It was a good deal, so, yay me.

I also found a deal on Canada's astronomy buy/sell site for a sweet deal on a new Astro-Physics AP1200GTO-GTOCP3 GEM mount, only CDN$13,500! My wife was rooting for me with the tripod. Not so much with the 130-GTX. Still looking for a mount.
That is a huge (ha) score. I am a huge fan of my MI-250 mount; easily the equal performance wise of the AP’s, and it has held my C11 Hyperstar and Tak TOA130 in side by side mode just fine for imaging (native +/- 2” tracking before guiding…

I miss it, it’s been taken apart last 5 years since first move…

I bet you can find a used one for $3K or less maybe…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back