Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 27, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #153,256 of 155,197
Happy Memorial Day to all! Hey, where’s @Ableza ? Have we wandered so far afield that he gave up and bagged? He always offers the “If it sounds good to you, do it.” advice that seems so appropriate.

May 27, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #153,257 of 155,197
Feature request on the next Schiit Pre-amp (pretty please)…

I can live w/o a balance control, though it’d be NICE.

But what I’m reminded again of just this weekend… you really NEED a MONO switch for certain aspects of aligning one’s cartridge…

If Stjarna (sp?) is going to be the uber-Pre (tube), please, PLEASE put a mono switch on it…

May 27, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #153,258 of 155,197
On topic (what is the topic again...?): I went to a garage sale this weekend that a friend of mine was holding. He's a big kid at heart and his basement rec room is full of neat toys and gadgets, so I had some expectations. In particular, he had a lowish-end Polk Audio sub that would be perfect for my office stack that includes a Mac Studio Max, a D/S DAC, Loki Mini +, Vali 2++, and a pair of Fluance 6" powered speakers with a sub-out connection. The sub adds what was missing, though for some reason where my chair is positioned I had a dead zone for bass. It took some trial and error to find the right sport for the sub. It was a good deal, so, yay me.

Off topic (what is the topic again?): While there in his garage I noticed a Meade Giant Field Tripod. This is a massive beast of an astronomy tripod, more solid than the Rock of Gibraltar. It had an equatorial wedge attached and I did a triple take at the price. This combo retails for about CDN$2,300 before tax. The tripod alone is CDN$1,700 new. His price? $5 (five). I asked "is that correct?" Yup. "Are you sure?" Yup. It had been gathering dust and the hassle of finding a box, shipping it, insuring it etc. just wasn't worth it to him. Score! I can scratch a heavy-duty tripod off my astronomy gear list of thing to get. Now for a telescope mount to go on top.

I also found a deal on Canada's astronomy buy/sell site for a sweet deal on a new Astro-Physics AP1200GTO-GTOCP3 GEM mount, only CDN$13,500! My wife was rooting for me with the tripod. Not so much with the AP1200. Still looking for a mount.

That is an awesome find! I just picked up a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer GTi for doing some light duty astrophotography. My ancient Meade mount let the smoke out when I setup in late April, so I am starting to look for my next heavy duty rig.

May 27, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #153,259 of 155,197
That is a huge (ha) score. I am a huge fan of my MI-250 mount; easily the equal performance wise of the AP’s, and it has held my C11 Hyperstar and Tak TOA130 in side by side mode just fine for imaging (native +/- 2” tracking before guiding…

I miss it, it’s been taken apart last 5 years since first move…

I bet you can find a used one for $3K or less maybe…

Thanks! There are so many choices for mounts out there now, which is fantastic. I'll take a look at the MI-250 as another option.

May 27, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #153,260 of 155,197
Happy Memorial Day to all! Hey, where’s @Ableza ? Have we wandered so far afield that he gave up and bagged? He always offers the “If it sounds good to you, do it.” advice that seems so appropriate.
Happy Memorial Day to you as well.
Most of us are generally happy with our sound or we would make changes.😁

Personally I have been trying to stay on topic with the Vali 3, Tyr stands, Kraken and Syn, mini racks for Schiit products etc. but many of the off topic conversations can allow more people to join in. 🤪

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #153,261 of 155,197
Honestly, to my taste, the 23 tastes like wood tannins and sadness, but I think the 15 is also over aged. I’d rather have the Rip Van Winkle 10 over any of them, and yes, I confirmed this in a blind tasting lineup of the whole thing, back before bourbon got stupid and this was a thing mortals could do without too much difficulty.
I've tasted the 15, 20 and 23, and preferred the 15. It was quite good, but now even the 15 is unobtainium. Back in the day, I remember being in the Party Source in Newport, KY, across the river from Cincinnati. They had several versions of Pappy on the shelves. I did notice the name but didn't really look at it - because there was no name recognition. Too bad.

May 27, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #153,262 of 155,197
Happy Memorial Day to you as well.
Most of us are generally happy with our sound or we would make changes.😁

Personally I have been trying to stay on topic with the Vali 3, Tyr stands, Kraken and Syn, mini racks for Schiit products etc. but many of the off topic conversations can allow more people to join in. 🤪
.... besides, the thread title "Schiit Happened" implies that success is happenstance -- so why shouldn't the thread topics be that as well? 🤔🤪

May 27, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #153,263 of 155,197
.... besides, the thread title "Schiit Happened" implies that success is happenstance -- so why shouldn't the thread topics be that as well? 🤔🤪
When I first joined I was on threads with a limited range of topics, few people gave “likes” and often times it would be days or weeks before anyone responded. 😜 This is much more fun and occasionally I do learn things like I need a filtration system on my ultrasonic record cleaner. Maybe @bcowen could rig that up for me. 😁

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #153,264 of 155,197
When I first joined I was on threads with a limited range of topics, few people gave “likes” and often times it would be days or weeks before anyone responded. 😜 This is much more fun and occasionally I do learn things like I need a filtration system on my ultrasonic record cleaner. Maybe @bcowen could rig that up for me. 😁
Lol! I could easily do that, although some assembly is required and I think the manual is stashed in the same place as my Incubus manual. 🤣

May 27, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #153,265 of 155,197
Well, this am I noticed for the first time with my nice metal gold knob when I touched it when the music was not playing that there was a noticeable humm / buzz in my cans.
Tried several tubes with and without extender still got this annoying buzz when I touched the knob...hmmm.

Similar to having a floating vol pot chassis in past issues like this.

I grounded the case of the vol pot to the gnd of the entering RCA jacks. Buzz gone.

Took Vali 3 apart ran a small wire from the pot chassis pin in the board to the gnd of the phono plug..voila buzz gone.
Wire on bottom side of pcb.

Never noticed this with the OG plastic knob....
Ah the smell of a soldering iron warming up!

Alex

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #153,266 of 155,197
He literally showed before and after measurements. Hard to say that's made up data unless he is blatantly flubbing his results. I generally dig Darko but I also don't have a dog in this race because I'll never be able to treat a room with aftermarket panels and whatnot, but it is unfair to call him out like this whether you personally like his channel and content or not.

Weirdly for this group (as people here are overwhelmingly helpful and courteous), all of the negative responses I've read so far regarding room treatments have seemed more 'anti-Darko' than being valid arguments offering substantive reasons - with experiential data - for disagreeing with him, and that just seems odd. I totally get someone not liking the man or his content, but arguments for or against a thing usually offer more than just blanket-statement disagreements, which is all I've seen so far against the topic of room treatments.
What I object to is it seems he has used measurements to work backwards from a conclusion which is similar to those that argue break-in for speakers and headphones is not valid because the measurements don't change.

May 27, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #153,267 of 155,197
Lol! I could easily do that, although some assembly is required and I think the manual is stashed in the same place as my Incubus manual. 🤣
Considering all the tiger maple trees I tortured on your behalf it should come assembled.

Here is your Incubus manual.

Music goes in
Amplified music comes out
Tubes get hot
There is an on/off switch somewhere.
Back off on the volume control if your ears start to bleed.
Playing any Marilyn Manson will void your warranty.
You wanted a sideways amp so live with it!
Do not attach a fancy gold knob to the volume control.
Technical questions should be directed to Finnegan, in care of a cardboard box on our living room floor. 😜

May 27, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #153,268 of 155,197
Yeah, this was last year with the tree tween the apogees, when the amp was still there… this year it’ll be cleaner…

E8D84124-58DB-424C-A6A0-092E4639A41A.jpeg
Very nice.
Every time I see your Apogees, it reminds me of the time I visited Dan D'Agostino's home and listened to his Grands set-up.
Twas quite an experience.

May 27, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #153,269 of 155,197
Apparently most people can't stand being the ultimately treated room - an anechoic chamber - for very long. Too quiet, you can hear your blood circulating. Freaks people out, so I've heard.
One of my past employers had an anechoic chamber for testing sound levels of industrial fans. I was in there a couple times and while it didn't freak me out necessarily it was a very weird experience. If nothing else, it gave me an awareness of how much of the sound we hear is reflected versus direct.

May 27, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #153,270 of 155,197
Rainy holiday - thanks to all who served and sacrificied for this freedom…

Sittin in the chair with the Bismarck; listening to a fully month warmed up Yggy rendering an amazing Jazz recording on Mapeshade: Gerard D’Angelo Trio - Not what my hands have done.

Epic sound, folks. Ima gonna head over to their site and get some more; have 4 or 5… they record live two track to 15ips 1/2” directly fed by two mikes, no mixing boards then through a custom AD sampled way up there. Epically transparent, imaging and soundstaging is perfect. Tone and clarity… just sounds so real. The snares and hi hats floating in space, the bass wow.

If you’ve not heard any of their stuff, you owe it to yourself to try

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back