Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 27, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #153,272 of 155,212
Well, this am I noticed for the first time with my nice metal gold knob when I touched it when the music was not playing that there was a noticeable humm / buzz in my cans.
Tried several tubes with and without extender still got this annoying buzz when I touched the knob...hmmm.

Similar to having a floating vol pot chassis in past issues like this.

I grounded the case of the vol pot to the gnd of the entering RCA jacks. Buzz gone.

Took Vali 3 apart ran a small wire from the pot chassis pin in the board to the gnd of the phono plug..voila buzz gone.
Wire on bottom side of pcb.

Never noticed this with the OG plastic knob....
Ah the smell of a soldering iron warming up!

Alex
Thanks for solving this! Have the same issue with mine after putting on the (larger) knob with the setscrew. More of an observation in my case than a hindrance, but I never got around to diagnosing it further.

May 27, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #153,273 of 155,212
Happy Memorial Day to all! Hey, where’s @Ableza ? Have we wandered so far afield that he gave up and bagged? He always offers the “If it sounds good to you, do it.” advice that seems so appropriate.
I'm around, but since I often skip many pages in this thread due to the constant chatter, I have no idea what the debate du jour might be. How can I help?

May 27, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #153,274 of 155,212
Considering all the tiger maple trees I tortured on your behalf it should come assembled.
But then we'd all miss the fun of seeing you hook it up wrong and empty the contents of your tank onto the floor. No way we're giving that up. 🤣

May 27, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #153,275 of 155,212
But then we'd all miss the fun of seeing you hook it up wrong and empty the contents of your tank onto the floor. No way we're giving that up. 🤣
Hey by the third or fourth time that happened I might realize something is wrong! 😉 I am but a simple man who does not change knobs on a Vali 3.😄

May 27, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #153,276 of 155,212
Lol! I could easily do that, although some assembly is required and I think the manual is stashed in the same place as my Incubus manual. 🤣
I would be pleased to send you a user experience driven quick start guide for Incubus if the copyright holder agrees. I believe that his name is Finnegan.

May 27, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #153,277 of 155,212
My Schiit's been playing all night long and this morning it's sounding oh-so-sweeet!

How about all you folks and your speaker-based rigs?
...Ragnarok 2 is playing the speakers just fine...Good Sweet Schiit...Shostakovich via Jarrett

May 27, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #153,278 of 155,212
Thanks for solving this! Have the same issue with mine after putting on the (larger) knob with the setscrew. More of an observation in my case than a hindrance, but I never got around to diagnosing it further.
Took it apart again just for u!

LOL!

1716823424877.png

May 27, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #153,279 of 155,212
... offer more than just blanket-statement disagreements, which is all I've seen so far against the topic of room treatments.
For the record, I'm all for room treatments. I think the disagreement was with Darko's statement about how furniture and rugs "cannot help." Maybe they didn't help in his room - there are many rooms where they do help. I put a quilt up on the wall and a rug on top of a rug, I should compare before and after measurements to see the difference.....

Are they as effective as experimentally proven room treatments like tube traps, diffusers, absorbers? Almost certainly not. However, many of us, for domestic tranquility reasons, cannot deploy as many of those as the vendors would like.

I made my own absorbers in a room where I could. Even slightly artistic ones :) (pat self on back). Made a big difference, not as big as using Geddes techniques.....

May 27, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #153,280 of 155,212
Did someone mention room treatments? I’ve dabbled a bit…

It helps to have a dedicated space though.

IMG_4473.jpeg
That's a CD rack? Can you arrange them into a QRD fractal pattern? I'ld love to see that!
'Course, if you did you'd never be able to select one to play again... :annoyed:

May 27, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #153,281 of 155,212
For the record, I'm all for room treatments. I think the disagreement was with Darko's statement about how furniture and rugs "cannot help." Maybe they didn't help in his room - there are many rooms where they do help. I put a quilt up on the wall and a rug on top of a rug, I should compare before and after measurements to see the difference.....

Are they as effective as experimentally proven room treatments like tube traps, diffusers, absorbers? Almost certainly not. However, many of us, for domestic tranquility reasons, cannot deploy as many of those as the vendors would like.

I made my own absorbers in a room where I could. Even slightly artistic ones :) (pat self on back). Made a big difference, not as big as using Geddes techniques.....
His room appears to be full of hard surfaced media storage cabinets with very little furniture and other fabric based items which would make his room more livable and better sounding.
I take many of his ramblings with a grain of salt.

May 27, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #153,282 of 155,212

I have a couch and a matching loveseat strategically placed on opposite walls at the first reflection point of my HT main speakers. They help a lot.

May 27, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #153,283 of 155,212
My Schiit's been playing all night long and this morning it's sounding oh-so-sweeet!

How about all you folks and your speaker-based rigs?
Unfortunately I will be outside or in my shop and I run only Carver gear in the shop. Outside can be multiple setups while I grill out so I have not put a lot of thought into that yet. Tonight maybe a Vali 3 or Schiit DAC through my main system.🤪 for some strange reason I am trying to talk my wife into chicken enchiladas with salsa verde and margaritas tonight.🤪

My margaritas consist of lime juice, a fine tequila blanco, and Contreau, Grand Marnier, or Curaçao plus a salt foam top. I conferred with Ripper before buying a bunch of this tequila.🤪IMG_7985.jpeg

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #153,284 of 155,212
Unfortunately I will be outside or in my shop and I run only Carver gear in the shop. Outside can be multiple setups while I grill out so I have not put a lot of thought into that yet. Tonight maybe a Vali 3 or Schiit DAC through my main system.🤪 for some strange reason I am trying to talk my wife into chicken enchiladas with salsa verde and margaritas tonight.🤪
Your dinner suggestion for tonight is spot on.
We loved last night's version.
Don't forget a fine Margarita!

Tonight we're grilling dogs and burgers with potato and macaroni salads.
Haagen Dazs ice cream for desert.:relaxed:

May 27, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #153,285 of 155,212
The good ole Sheffield Drum Record....Jim Keltner Track six, is 7:09 minutes long.
From 4:30 until the end.

Just took out my ZMF Vetite Closed Backs.
Vali3 GE 4760 non 5 Star.

Crank her up and this is the way a drum should sould.
Stunning here to these ears..

Driver Type: Vapor Deposed Beryllium Sensitivity: ~99dB/mW Impedance: 300 Ohms Weight: 490g (±20g) Price: $2,499.99
Dynamic cans...These really reproduce drums so well.

Alex
:>)

https://open.qobuz.com/album/ep56wfg2cocvb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back