Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #152,851 of 155,117
Almost missed National Tortoise Day!

IMG_4418.jpg

Yes, that's Lisa, making medieval-style tile for our house under construction, and Warwick, a random tortoise eating an apple. Typical weekend in Corpus Christi.

I've been known to stop traffic on both lanes of a busy commuter road more than once to rescue an errant turtle who just HAD to get to the other side.

May 24, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #152,852 of 155,117
Gumby actually sounds better through speakers.... just sayin'

I mentioned my inkling of a plan to my wife last evening: <slight look of horror> "You're not going to do THAT on a work night, are you? That's a vacation project!" Or a weekend project...🤔. Now, if I do this, I'll have no DAC that's comparable to the Gumby for my headphone stack in my bright, SW-facing reading room where I spend a lot of time. This will mean that I'll HAVE to get a YGGY and another Lokius in there. And another tubed pre... 🤑 :ksc75smile:

YOLO!!!

May 24, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #152,853 of 155,117
You still using window stickers over there? We ditched them years ago, thank Dog. Don't even have to leave home ... Just pay the bill, online, and move along :sunglasses:

The Canadian province of Ontario is governed by corrupt and insanely incompetent morons (our premier used to deal hash and related products with his brother out of the trunk of their car). He campaigned on bringing the price of beer down to a "buck a bottle!" (how he could force that, no one knows, including him). Anyway, he got rid of the need to pay registration fees for licence plate stickers. They don't even issue new stickers each year anymore. Now, every car on the road older than a year or so has out of date stickers. You still have to remember to go online to register your plates (why?) or you can get a $1,000 fine if your plate registration has expired. Shock: the majority of cars on the road in Ontario are in this situation. The fix? If you have a clean driving record, the government will auto-renew them for you for a two year term. What is the point of even having plate registrations, then? It's a Rube Goldberg machine of a situation. 😵‍💫🤯

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #152,854 of 155,117
Recently got Utopia 2020s for a good price, enjoying them a lot with tubes, not yet as convincing with (some) solid-states.
I do not use solid state with headphones so I would not know how they sound in that situation. 😁 In the past I did use OPPO PM-1’s and the like with smart phones or DAPs but not the Utopias. Other headphones I tried with tube amps might give me a pronounced lower end or mids but not the overall balance and clarity that I sought.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #152,855 of 155,117
The Canadian province of Ontario is governed by corrupt and insanely incompetent morons (our premier used to deal hash and related products with his brother out of the trunk of their car). He campaigned on bringing the price of beer down to a "buck a bottle!" (how he could force that, no one knows, including him). Anyway, he got rid of the need to pay registration fees for licence plate stickers. They don't even issue new stickers each year anymore. Now, every car on the road older than a year or so has out of date stickers. You still have to remember to go online to register your plates (why?) or you can get a $1,000 fine if your plate registration has expired. Shock: the majority of cars on the road in Ontario are in this situation. The fix? If you have a clean driving record, the government will auto-renew them for you for a two year term. What is the point of even having plate registrations, then? It's a Rube Goldberg machine of a situation. 😵‍💫🤯
Well I remembered and renewed for two years, also put myself on reminder 60 days before next sticker renewal, health card expiration etc…
The point of renewal was to pay your fines. No ones renewing so not paying outstanding tickets, 407 unpaid use etc. course not a fan of ford in any way except sure saved me 140 bucks for sticker renewal.

May 24, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #152,858 of 155,117
.... remember the Bose 901? IMG_8118.jpeg[89% reflected sound, 11% direct sound] 🤷🏻‍♂️
What I really remember was arguing with folks that were CONVINCED they had the best and most realistic sound of any speaker. I would always say, close your eyes, and point to the first violin, or the flute soloist… and watch their arms flail about… finally falling back on “well,I like the way they sound”…

<shudder>

May 24, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #152,860 of 155,117
The complete studio album cd set is what I went with. 10 discs on Amazon for 43. Their stuff id worth it. As are Billy F. Gibbons’ solo albums…
The latter point cannot be under emphasized.

Hardware, his latest solo, is a great album.

May 24, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #152,861 of 155,117
My wife (who studied creative writing) adores what you wrote. ( we are also watching the Gilmore Girls on her request) so the Stars Hollow reference had her nearly rolling on the floor. (Introduction song by Carole King by the way.)
K has dragged me through introduced me to the Gilmore Girls twice. All 7 seasons and 153 episodes, twice. Actually, I quite enjoyed it. Have you gotten to the spot where Lane goes to the new music store and sees the drum kit of her dreams? You will recognize the proprietor of said store.

May 24, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #152,862 of 155,117
K has dragged me through introduced me to the Gilmore Girls twice. All 7 seasons and 153 episodes, twice. Actually, I quite enjoyed it. Have you gotten to the spot where Lane goes to the new music store and sees the drum kit of her dreams? You will recognize the proprietor of said store.
I have to be a good sport considering my wife sat through the complete Viking and Warrior series with me. She did adore Suits and White Color.🤪🤪

May 24, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #152,863 of 155,117
Almost missed National Tortoise Day!

IMG_4418.jpg

Yes, that's Lisa, making medieval-style tile for our house under construction, and Warwick, a random tortoise eating an apple. Typical weekend in Corpus Christi.
Could you post a picture of how one of those tiles look? you made me curious with the medieval-style description.

Also, I kinda miss seeing Lisa sporting clothes with the full Pantone gamut hehe.

May 24, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #152,864 of 155,117
May 24, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #152,865 of 155,117

Users who are viewing this thread

Back