Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #152,881 of 155,132
May 24, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #152,882 of 155,132
The infamous RCA clear top....Vali 3...here we go again!!
12AU7...not microphic at all!!! (smile)..
Again, Mr Tom...
Mucho Gratias!
Alex

1716560820117.png
So many tubes. So little time. :D

May 24, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #152,883 of 155,132
Ha!
This gold knob has special qualities.
Things just sound better with a gold knob...
(notice it matches the tube adapter as well...this is really significant to getting maximum power transfer!)
LOL!

I was sent this my the Nitsch fellow. Christian...nice person. Friends with Jason and the Schiit crew.
I got one of the early Pietys and assisted in some online tests.

Tom, you might want to take a listen with a Piety.
I know your a tubey type of person..but Piety has tube like qualities.
You might be pleasantly surprised.

:>)
Alex
Lol without thinking very hard, or looking around my shop I have a minimum 9 headphone amps. 😁 I suppose if someone gifted me a Piety I would be obliged to listen.🤪

May 24, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #152,884 of 155,132
Took the hint!
ordered one yesterday, arrives tomorrow Sat 25
I ordered one right after he sent that chapter out. Still sitting on my office desk, waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. Lol! I may get a pair of Speakerlab Point 1's (I'm from Seattle) and a small subwoofer and annoy the hell out of my co-workers!
Kyle

May 24, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #152,885 of 155,132
😒

IMG_8123.jpeg

.... "sold out" / "other stores" ==> will not restock .... 😢

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #152,887 of 155,132
May 24, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #152,889 of 155,132
May 24, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #152,890 of 155,132
Lol! That's because Bose told us they were the best in their full-page ads in Stereo Review each month back in my college years.

Bose has always been a company that excels at marketing, and also sells speakers. IMO, of course. 🤣
Ahh yes Bose - the Bain of the audio salesman !! We diplomatically described them as ' an interesting loudspeaker ' they were really dire TBH !! as was that bloomin' awful wave sound CD played all in one thing that all the ' home and garden mags ' would advertise as if they were mankind's salvation !!! I sold a similarly spec JVC product that was 75% cheaper that wiped the floor with the Bose in both reproduction , build quality and styling but the customer is always right ( or just plain strange )

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #152,891 of 155,132
Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #152,892 of 155,132
I try to pay attention if someone is looking for a particular item or in need. I am waiting for some lumber to arrive for a Tyr project so I am figuring out the best way to build speaker terminal insulators for @Bowmoreman.
IMG_7963.jpeg
Indeed, and much appreciated. I showed Gerri the wood and she loved what we (jointly agreed upon)…. Let’s save the choice for the unveiling… :wink:

May 24, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #152,893 of 155,132
Love the pattern! Tortoise’s are cool. We had an annual visitor, Phred we named him, the 8 years I lived in Tucson… loved bits of fruit…
On HMS Blake, a few lifetimes ago, we were infested with cockroaches and other snarly grobblers to such an extent that we used to spray and the watch it 'rain' them from the deckhead. They tried to cure the problem when the ship was in for refit by closing down to ZuluAplha (the ship is sealed against nuclear, bio, and chemical external threats) and then 'bug bombing' the entire ship with insecticide.

It looked OK, but within a few weeks we were back to normal. As those of you who have been associated with the Forces know, complaints can be difficult to raise. So in our daily newspaper (still smelling of spirit from the duplicator) Phred, a very well-educated cockroach, was the spokesperson for all the issues that could not be raised by more formal means.

I still use Phred as a name on stuff that I suspect is going to result in spammy emails.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #152,894 of 155,132
Ahh yes Bose - the Bain of the audio salesman !! We diplomatically described them as ' an interesting loudspeaker ' they were really dire TBH !! as was that bloomin' awful wave sound CD played all in one thing that all the ' home and garden mags ' would advertise as if they were mankind's salvation !!! I sold a JVC product that was 75% cheaper that wiped the floor with the Bose in both reproduction , build quality and styling but the customer is always right ( or just plain strange )
I was fortunate enough to NEVER sell a set of Bose 901s. 501s were the limit of my tolerance for Bose products. I sold a hell of a lot of EPI, JBL, and Advent and a few ARs when we had them in stock, but could never get behind selling of 901s. I educated many a listener and kept them from falling into their trap. When they would say the Bose sound so real, my retort was "Sure, if there was ever really such a thing as a 10' oboe." They either wised up and bought something else or walked -- it was a win/win for me either way. :D

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #152,895 of 155,132
Indeed, and much appreciated. I showed Gerri the wood and she loved what we (jointly agreed upon)…. Let’s save the choice for the unveiling… :wink:
I should have known Tom couldn't just stop at sending a few scrap pieces of wood. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back