Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #152,896 of 155,143
ROFL!

I fondly? remember getting my driver's license when I moved (back) to California. I was required to do the written test (but no driving test), so after waiting the obligatory 3 hours, I did the test and handed it to the visibly disinterested lady at the counter. She graded it, and then started calling some of her (also disinterested) colleagues over to take a look. I'm like what in hell is going on here, and she told me she'd been there 11 years and had never seen anyone from out-of-state make a 100 on the written test. I told her I didn't know whether I should be proud of that or scared out of my wits to be driving on a CA highway. 🤣

NC: Need to get registration for my son's car that's in my name. Working in Atlanta, so leave there at 6:30AM, arrive at the tag office in Charlotte at 10:30AM. My number is finally called at 4:45PM. Fortunately. At 5:00 on the proverbial dot, they tell everyone else that has been waiting for hours to leave, the office is closed, and they'll need to come back another day.

GA: Grab my number, wait about an hour and my number is called.

OK: Greeted by a "May I help you?" as I walk in the door. I ask where I need to grab a number. Confused look. "No numbers sir, I can help you with what you need." Approx 15 minutes later I walk out with my tags. Perhaps tornados have instilled a sense of urgency? 🤣
Ah, yes, CA where they fail you for not signalling in an empty parking lot. I kid you not. Ask me how I know.

May 24, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #152,897 of 155,143
Lol! That's because Bose told us they were the best in their full-page ads in Stereo Review each month back in my college years.

Bose has always been a company that excels at marketing, and also sells speakers. IMO, of course. 🤣
Bose were quite prolific in those ' artistic ' magazines that we used to get for the ' car articles - honest Mom !! '

May 24, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #152,898 of 155,143
The Canadian province of Ontario is governed by corrupt and insanely incompetent morons (our premier used to deal hash and related products with his brother out of the trunk of their car). He campaigned on bringing the price of beer down to a "buck a bottle!" (how he could force that, no one knows, including him). Anyway, he got rid of the need to pay registration fees for licence plate stickers. They don't even issue new stickers each year anymore. Now, every car on the road older than a year or so has out of date stickers. You still have to remember to go online to register your plates (why?) or you can get a $1,000 fine if your plate registration has expired. Shock: the majority of cars on the road in Ontario are in this situation. The fix? If you have a clean driving record, the government will auto-renew them for you for a two year term. What is the point of even having plate registrations, then? It's a Rube Goldberg machine of a situation. 😵‍💫🤯
BC has government insurance... while many complain about ICBC at times (including myself) you just need to insure your car to register it.

They also did away with decals a couple of years ago. Since switching to no fault insurance, they are no longer the most expensive insurance provider in Canada (which they were for decades).

No sure if I would be a fan of no fault if I were hit by another car again.

May 24, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #152,899 of 155,143
Indeed, and much appreciated. I showed Gerri the wood and she loved what we (jointly agreed upon)…. Let’s save the choice for the unveiling… :wink:
As you wish.

May 24, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #152,901 of 155,143
On HMS Blake, a few lifetimes ago, we were infested with cockroaches and other snarly grobblers to such an extent that we used to spray and the watch it 'rain' them from the deckhead. They tried to cure the problem when the ship was in for refit by closing down to ZuluAplha (the ship is sealed against nuclear, bio, and chemical external threats) and then 'bug bombing' the entire ship with insecticide.

It looked OK, but within a few weeks we were back to normal. As those of you who have been associated with the Forces know, complaints can be difficult to raise. So in our daily newspaper (still smelling of spirit from the duplicator) Phred, a very well-educated cockroach, was the spokesperson for all the issues that could not be raised by more formal means.

I still use Phred as a name on stuff that I suspect is going to result in spammy emails.
Doonesbury for the win

May 24, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #152,902 of 155,143
I should have known Tom couldn't just stop at sending a few scrap pieces of wood. :D
Never! I had to see if I could make the precise cuts needed to form the +. There has to be a challenge or I lose interest.

I will finish up over the weekend, I just had some amazing tiger maple arrive for the Tyr build for @Adam Balm IMG_7967.jpeg

These colors but the hardwood will be different widths.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #152,904 of 155,143
I was fortunate enough to NEVER sell a set of Bose 901s. 501s were the limit of my tolerance for Bose products. I sold a hell of a lot of EPI, JBL, and Advent and a few ARs when we had them in stock, but could never get behind selling of 901s. I educated many a listener and kept them from falling into their trap. When they would say the Bose sound so real, my retort was "Sure, if there was ever really such a thing as a 10' oboe." They either wised up and bought something else or walked -- it was a win/win for me either way. :D
No highs, no lows, must be BOSE (imho lol)

May 24, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #152,905 of 155,143
With fingers dirty for days, I hand polished the Valhalla knob cylindrical part using Autosol, now looks like a mirror. :L3000:

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 00.57.10.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #152,906 of 155,143
Never! I had to see if I could make the precise cuts needed to form the +. There has to be a challenge or I lose interest.

I will finish up over the weekend, I just had some amazing tiger maple arrive for the Tyr build for @Adam Balm

These colors but the hardwood will be different widths.
Did you mail my royalty check, or are you planning to send it electronically? 🤣

May 24, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #152,907 of 155,143
I may have helped. Got a 12au7 and 6sn7 adapter when I read the heads up a few pages ago that they were going to stop making them. First reference I saw was page 30 of the Vali 3 thread.
I got a 12AU7 adapter this last round. Didn't think about a 6SN7.

May 24, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #152,908 of 155,143
The latter point cannot be under emphasized.

Hardware, his latest solo, is a great album.
The last track on the album, Desert High, is magnificent.

May 24, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #152,909 of 155,143
Did you mail my royalty check, or are you planning to send it electronically? 🤣
Did you stop accepting cardboard as payment? Electronic payment is much too complicated and a young employee once told me only old people use checks.🙄

May 24, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #152,910 of 155,143
I've often wondered about the source for these adapters. For years now there have been several sellers based in China (including Xuling) that have sold what look to be identical adapters. This leads me to believe that there is one manufacturing source with sales through multiple sellers. Note this is only my perception, and nothing more. But if that is in fact the case, was Xuling the manufacturer/assembler or simply one of the (multiple) sellers? Hopefully the latter, in which case the adapters should continue to be available from other vendors. Regardless, it appears the remaining vendors have taken the opportunity to significantly increase prices with the Xuling news.

Fortunately I have plenty of adapters, and backups for the adapters, and backups for the backups, as he who hoards last loses. 🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back