Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 28, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #149,611 of 152,758
It reminded me of a cross (imaginary) between buffalo trace style and bookers; if that makes any sense. I like it a lot; definitely hints of a smokier BT/Papi Van flavor going on… 100 proof, just right not too hot. Forces sipping. Winner
Very nice!

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #149,612 of 152,758
Yep - all the way from the white peg at the top to the brass cylinder at the bottom, and the pitch control moves it too. Apparently you somehow adjust the idler wheel range up or down until the pitch can be fine tuned.

Any stylus in particular you recommend? Amazon has mystery brands starting at about CAD$40, but I don't see anything from any brand I recognize.
Look for one that's made in Japan and not China.
The ones from Japan usually come from Jico and are part of the N75 series.

Try Gary over at thevoiceofmusic.com

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #149,614 of 152,758
Nope, two guage, the wire diameter is just under 8mm (caliper measured)… it’s also bi-wired, so in some sense maybe it’s zero guage…

:L3000:
That sounds right, there are a few gauges thicker than zero but finding proper reducers is not always easy.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #149,615 of 152,758
Shouldn't you be focusing on finishing up your addition? 🤣

Oh gawd, here's where we are at:

IMG_4297.jpg

Yeah that's a rainfall capture/solar house in Texas.

Quick update:

1. Valhalla 3 has two transformer ideas in play. It may happen. Probably not this summer.
2. Working on chapter for something that will happen this summer that changes everything (no not bought, relax, you'll see.)
3. New 5-channel amp coming soon, called Kraken.
4. New Saga 2 coming soon, least expensive Saga ever. Still relay ladder. Now with gain. Class A. No feedback. Headphone amp included.

Gonna be an insane year!

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 28, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #149,616 of 152,758
Probably very short. If long, skin effect would affect high frequencies.
Skin effect kicks in at about 100,000 hertz. It is quite minimal below that frequency as I recall. 😉

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #149,617 of 152,758
Great update man.

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #149,618 of 152,758

Quick update:

1. Valhalla 3 has two transformer ideas in play. It may happen. Probably not this summer.
2. Working on chapter for something that will happen this summer that changes everything (no not bought, relax, you'll see.)
4. New Saga 2 coming soon, least expensive Saga ever. Still relay ladder. Now with gain. Class A. No feedback. Headphone amp included.

Gonna be an insane year!
Looks like SW of General Boerne area? We were in Wimberley for 4 years. Nice site

Apr 28, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #149,619 of 152,758

IMG_4297.jpeg

Quick update:

Gonna be an insane year!
The five channel amp sounds interesting, I await the details.😀

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #149,620 of 152,758
Probably very short. If long, skin effect would affect high frequencies.
6 foot lengths IIRC. High power levels with amp drinking speakers. Zero skin effects in races with hyperlitz and other types over the last 34 years. But they are the most transparent for full soundstage of any I’ve ever used/heard. Built them the week I got the speakers (1990). Did I mention, free? :wink:

Yes, they are darned ugly (one of the selling factors to offset drilling holes in our nice hardwood floor; it hides them almost completely)…

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #149,621 of 152,758

IMG_4297.jpeg

Quick update:

Gonna be an insane year!
Beautiful piece of land there.
I like that view!

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #149,622 of 152,758

IMG_4297.jpeg

Quick update:

Gonna be an insane year!
Texas Hill Country . Reminds me of my jaunts exploring ranches /woods as a kid in SW Austin. I recognize that terrain anywhere.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #149,623 of 152,758

Quick update:

Gonna be an insane year!
PS… since you are in the area, check out Sisterdale vineyards… super obscure but close to that area

We loved that area in the “triangle” but it was not only getting insahn

IMG_4297.jpeg

Quick update:

Gonna be an insane year!
so you should check out the Sisterdale vineyards, very close by. We loved that triangle area, but most of it simply didn’t have access to any kinda high-speed internet; heck, cell was even an issue; at least closer to the I10 corridor (Boerne, Kerrville, et al) that is not a problem. But we’re more “rural folk”… You will love the area I predict

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #149,624 of 152,758
With vinyl, at least no "tech bro" can delete stuff from my library anymore because it is either not profitable to them or offends their sensibilities. While all formats have their pluses and minuses (see recent vinyl cleaning comments in this thread) at least with vinyl I now OWN my music instead of leasing it from a service. And my new Schiit Skoll makes it sound pretty wonderful.

True for CDs as well, ripped or not.

When I downsized to the condo I sold about 900 LPs (for $2 each 😫😫) and kept my favourite 350. I still need to get rid of another 50 for space reasons 😱😱). I sold about 500 CDs for similar prices, mostly ones I knew would a!ways be available streaming, and kept another 500 that were rare, signed, by friends, reference quality, etc. They take up less room. Although I have Amazon Prime, I don't stream much, I've got about 3TB ripped to ALAC, FLAC, etc., and have no problem using AirPlay from my 2012 MacBook Pro to my Denon, AppleTV, Rasberry Pi, Chromecast dongles, etc. Well, except for occasional network hiccups of course. And I still listen to FM.

Remember Rip, Mix, Burn? It's only 3 days since the last time I burned a CD mixtape for the car. iTunes makes it easy.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #149,625 of 152,758

Are you using the balanced or unbalanced outputs? 40 mv could cause the speaker "breathing" that you are observing, a power amp has a gain of about 20. If you have another set of tubes for the cathode follower side of Freya+, I would try those first. If no change, I would write Schiit with your findings.
Thx! That was with the bal outs. I'll check the SE outs too, see what's there.
Seeing about 600mv at the speakers.
Don't have any other tubes at the moment, would swapping the pairs change anything?
If not, I'll get a couple in to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back