Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #149,581 of 151,545
Carlos Kleiber conducts the Wiener Philarmonic at the Musikverein in 1974 - Beethoven’s 5th Symphony. Considered to be the best recording ever. This stream on Qobuz is the original digital master; there’s also a 96kHz version.

Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 9.24.24 AM.png

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #149,582 of 151,545
Why not? My big double height room does not pass the clap test, but Linn room optimization kills the unwanted room modes.
Yeah, I have a room that has tiled floors, wall-to-wall casement windows with wooden slatted shades.

Talking in that room is a ring-fest.

Music through the Linn Kiko, with Linn Space on, sounds darn good.

Thankfully, that room is mostly rectangular so modeling it in Space was easy. The room I'm sitting in now? 4 different ceiling heights, 10 walls, thankfully one floor :) Haven't finished modeling it yet.

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #149,583 of 151,545
It's surprising to me to hear that there are music playback protocols using UDP. ...
It's been like that forever. RTP was originally defined in 1996. TCP at that time hadn't yet gone through all the latency improvements that it has now. It wasn't bad then, just better now (an example from 2004). When I was coding network protocols before then, I lamented the fact that my choices where TCP, with its issues, or UDP, where I'd have to code a bunch of algorithms to make it reliable. Cisco didn't propose reliable UDP until 1999.

The issue that existed with TCP for "real time data" like music/video is that, while reliable, there is no way to predict when the next byte will arrive as that is completely at the mercy of the buffering and congestion protocols. Could be 0.1ms or an hour. An hour between music samples would be unfortunate.

P.S. One other aspect that UDP helps with that most implementations of TCP can't deal with: if you're listening on your device and your device moves from one access point to another (like cell tower). Most implementations of TCP will drop that connection. Every implementation of UDP handles that seamlessly.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #149,584 of 151,545
... so maybe I can just stuff some rock wool behind there? ...
I had a room where rock wool (4") in the walls made an appreciable difference, and above the ceiling tiles.

Also made the room more hospitable in the winter and summer! :)

In this room, we just put a Berber-style rug with 1/4" (1/2"?) wool felt pad over the wall-to-wall somewhat plush carpeting (better half doesn't like this carpet so wanted to hide it :) - win for me!). I can hear the room ambience in recordings better. Maybe a thicker pad under your rug?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #149,585 of 151,545
One thing's for sure ... watch out for those damn tornados. Need to have a safe place!
Thanks! Had some rather rambunctious thunderstorms last night. There were some tornados and damage in the western part of the state, but fortunately nothing more than the usual 70 mph straight-line winds around here. Destroyed one of my wife's wind chimes, thank goodness. I'm betting the neighbors are glad for that too. 🤣

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #149,586 of 151,545
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #149,587 of 151,545
Thanks! Had some rather rambunctious thunderstorms last night. There were some tornados and damage in the western part of the state, but fortunately nothing more than the usual 70 mph straight-line winds around here. Destroyed one of my wife's wind chimes, thank goodness. I'm betting the neighbors are glad for that too. 🤣
Yeah, those OK thunderboomers last night were something else. Coupled with being in an RV...too much fun.

Oh, and we found your wind chimes this morning. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #149,588 of 151,545
Today’s projects: clean up the mess, go out and find a nice bright LED stand-light to sit next to turntable, get to Lowes to get more and better T25 torx heads to further buttress in basement

Oh, and did I say clean up the mess? Got pone more salamander to go. THIS mess.

IMG_0203.jpeg
I mounted a Littlite directly to the rack shelf the turntable sits on. Works great and is pretty unobtrusive.

littllite.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #149,589 of 151,545
Yeah, those OK thunderboomers last night were something else. Coupled with being in an RV...too much fun.

Oh, and we found your wind chimes this morning. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
ROFL! Please don't return them. 🤣

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #149,590 of 151,545
...fortunately nothing more than the usual 70 mph straight-line winds around here. Destroyed one of my wife's wind chimes...
I'm afraid the evidence proves otherwise. Good idea to try and use the T-Storms as a 'patsy'...

-- During severe T-storms this AM, a Still image from neighbor's Ring camera catches Bill wearing a mask returning from finally silencing the windchimes his wife has inconsiderately placed outside his listening room window. :wink:

4/28/2024 4:17:37

1714325397456.png

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #149,592 of 151,545
Heres the long view towards listening end; note the opening to left (to dining room; unloads that end/side), note the hard corner on other side; wifey’s curio cabinet MUST live there (nod to being allowed to (mostly) dominate the rooms use cases). So, no tube trap there. It does have about a 1 1/2 square foot equilateral triangle behind it (it’s a corner unit by design), so maybe I can just stuff some rock wool behind there? Low down on the list

Lots of decluttering to do before wifey gets back

IMG_0204.jpeg
Nice! And looks like a big room to boot.

Finally getting my new room to the point of speaker placement. Still a long way to go, but I'll tidy up the wiring once I get there. Today's task: find the box with the tonearm and motor controller for the Nottingham....

NewRoom1.jpg

NewRoom2.jpg

If I'd kept things symmetric with the couch centered on the wall, there wouldn't have been room for the chair which is nice and comfy for HP listening. So the hell with symmetry. Just means the listening position for the speakers is the end cushion on the couch rather than the center one.

NewRoom3.jpg

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #149,593 of 151,545
I'm afraid the evidence proves otherwise. Good idea to try and use the T-Storms as a 'patsy'...

-- During severe T-storms this AM, a Still image from neighbor's Ring camera catches Bill wearing a mask returning from finally silencing the windchimes his wife has inconsiderately placed outside his listening room window. :wink:

4/28/2024 4:17:37

Fake news. There's no chance I'd be up at 4:17 AM. And even less chance there'd be a minivan in my driveway. 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #149,594 of 151,545
Fake news. There's no chance I'd be up at 4:17 AM. And even less chance than that there'd be a minivan in my driveway. 🤣 🤣
Thou doth protest too much, methinks. :smirk:

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #149,595 of 151,545
Nice! And looks like a big room to boot.

Finally getting my new room to the point of speaker placement. Still a long way to go, but I'll tidy up the wiring once I get there. Today's task: find the box with the tonearm and motor controller for the Nottingham....

NewRoom1.jpg

NewRoom2.jpg

If I'd kept things symmetric with the couch centered on the wall, there wouldn't have been room for the chair which is nice and comfy for HP listening. So the hell with symmetry. Just means the listening position for the speakers is the end cushion on the couch rather than the center one.

NewRoom3.jpg
Nice clean set-up. I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back