Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 28, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #149,566 of 151,518
Heres the long view towards listening end; note the opening to left (to dining room; unloads that end/side), note the hard corner on other side; wifey’s curio cabinet MUST live there (nod to being allowed to (mostly) dominate the rooms use cases). So, no tube trap there. It does have about a 1 1/2 square foot equilateral triangle behind it (it’s a corner unit by design), so maybe i can just stuff some rockwool behind there? Low priority.

Thinking of moving the rug to make it longitudinally symmetric; though that’s getting anal since planars have almost NO floor or ceiling bounce. I remember with all my earlier (dynamic) speakers, I had to worry about SO MANY first reflections. Planars help that a lot. You do have to worry the sides a bit unless the room is HUGELY wide.

Anyways, last night, with wifey not around, I was rocking 95dB peaks on the symphonic music and LOVING IT. The OSD BiB Wheated didn’t hurt one iota, either @sixergixer

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #149,567 of 151,518
Thanks! The aquascape has evolved over the last few years and is on the road to recovering from a bit of neglect . The emergent growth is recent, as are the stem plants. It's also a 65g tank. I love Rainbows, some of these are even ones that I have bred.

I dose low level CO2, about a bubble per second. Longer term, that may increase to 3 or 4, but I'm being cautious as I have fish already. Don't want to accidentally overdose or cause a ph crash.

It is easier to do a large tank, but 10-20 gallon aquariums can be fun and rewarding. And with the newer filters from Oase, they can be pretty quiet. Mine is in our open plan lounge which is also the listening room. Even CO2 can be quiet if you are adding it inline.
Funny you mention that; I had a failure once on my CO2 bubble counter; went stuck on. Woke up to all dead fish. I’ve a pretty substantial Eheim connected to inline UV filter (Discus, say no more). So yeah, got ALL the gear but the tank/stand/location… I’d LOVE to put a tank in the room exactly where the seed starter setup is, but… 1) convincing wifey, and 2) while quiet, it isn’t SILENT.

But it would look killer

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #149,568 of 151,518
Next test momentarily (after finish my man brekky of bacon, eggs and toast, LOL) is going to be playing Pink Floyd Animals album to see just how realistic my Bismarck finds it…

I’m anticipating hilarity.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #149,569 of 151,518
@sam6550a @Paladin79
Per our messages a week back...
DC on Freya+ balanced out runs around +/- 20mv with tubes running. That's across ground to either of the signal pins (1 to 2, or 1 to 3).
Signal to signal is pretty much 0mv. (pins 2 to 3)
@sam6550a @Paladin79
Per our messages a week back...
DC on Freya+ balanced out runs around +/- 20mv with tubes running. That's across ground to either of the signal pins (1 to 2, or 1 to 3).
Signal to signal is pretty much 0mv. (pins 2 to 3)
Are you using the balanced or unbalanced outputs? 40 mv could cause the speaker "breathing" that you are observing, a power amp has a gain of about 20. If you have another set of tubes for the cathode follower side of Freya+, I would try those first. If no change, I would write Schiit with your findings.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #149,570 of 151,518
So apparently my soundstage is just fine thank you; he starting going crazy the instant the “dogs came in” started center stage (pic) then moved back and forth left to right, then all way behind, no he’s out in the hall….

Too bad can’ post movies easily

IMG_0205.jpeg

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #149,573 of 151,518
Today's / Tonight's Jazz recommendation...

* Don't be hating on Jazz Banjo til you've heard it. 😏

1000005589.jpg
This is my favorite album by the Flecktones, a compilation of live tracks from the 1990s. A few guest artists join: Chick Corea, Branford Marsalis and Bruce Hornsby. Both Paul McCandless and Howard Levy appear (on different tracks) ... both of them were soloing members of the band, and brought different instruments to the mix. Released in 1995. FYI, friends.

Bela Fleck - Live Art.png
:)

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #149,575 of 151,518
Next test momentarily (after finish my man brekky of bacon, eggs and toast, LOL) is going to be playing Pink Floyd Animals album to see just how realistic my Bismarck finds it…

I’m anticipating hilarity.
Nothing beats a hearty breakfast before spinning some Pink Floyd.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #149,576 of 151,518
Here's a fun treat. Anybody like Andes mints? Well, get yerself some proper 125 proof Absinthe (doesn't have to be OSD but bonus points if you do) and add 2-3oz straight into your hot chocolate. The dilution is perfect and it makes that cocoa zing!

It's even a good one for those who are licorice-averse as that flavor component largely disappears.

Is that how you fell in love? Absinthe does make the heart grow fonder......

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #149,578 of 151,518
Today’s projects: clean up the mess, go out and find a nice bright LED stand-light to sit next to turntable, get to Lowes to get more and better T25 torx heads to further buttress in basement

Oh, and did I say clean up the mess? Got pone more salamander to go. THIS mess.

IMG_0203.jpeg
How about this? I use it on my tank.

https://a.co/d/hfPMysf

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #149,579 of 151,518
Apr 28, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #149,580 of 151,518
.... and therein lies the problem. I have more problems with Roon networking than all other devices combined. Including recalcitrant QNAP NAS' and Mac networking with SMB!!
The problem is not from TCP. The problem (when there is a problem) is that Roon needs to keep a fairly tight delay tolerance between endpoints and server, to ensure proper audio sync between endpoints in a zone. You'd be surprised, but quite a few consumer routers (especially ISP-provided cheap junk) and switches get easily congested by traffic bursts, causing frame drops and retransmits. That's all good until the arrival delay between TCP packets in a stream goes beyond what Roon tolerates. This does not happen with well set-up home networks: I have three different locations with Roon, mostly UniFi routers and switches, decent fanless PCs running Ubuntu Server, local music on SSD. Zero Roon issues. As for QNAP and Mac SMB, sorry that you have to use some of the worst software in the business :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back