Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #148,531 of 150,382
I never followed him or bought his music, but his passing slammed me harder than any other artist before or since. My only explanation is that his music was always present in some way; always original and timeless.
I felt that way when Chick Corea passed on, out of the blue.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #148,532 of 150,382
I never followed him or bought his music, but his passing slammed me harder than any other artist before or since. My only explanation is that his music was always present in some way; always original and timeless.
Man, I'm with you there. Obviously grew up with Bowie all around me, I've even viewed the very strange The Man Who Fell To Earth (and kinda liked it), but never was actually all that much into Bowie. But yeah, his passing was such an abrupt ending of a bedrock presence in popular culture, I really felt it. Then I listened to Blackstar and was absolutely floored. Shaken to my bones. In fact, I think it is one of the most artistically and humanly powerful works of musical art of our lifetime.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #148,533 of 150,382
I think another reason is the way he died (just a few days after releasing Black Star). Everybody was applauding another gem from him when suddenly the news about him passing away left everyone like "Are you kidding me? he just released another amazing album. He is fine, this can't be true".

I still remember at first I was sure it was some kind of dark joke. Then the news began to appear everywhere and that's when the shock came: David Bowie is gone.

It's almost like he chose when and how to die, saying good bye with a new album. An artist until his very last breath.
Did he really die, though? Or just go back to his home planet? :wink:

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #148,534 of 150,382
I think another reason is the way he died (just a few days after releasing Black Star). Everybody was applauding another gem from him when suddenly the news about him passing away left everyone like "Are you kidding me? he just released another amazing album. He is fine, this can't be true".

I still remember at first I was sure it was some kind of dark joke. Then the news began to appear everywhere and that's when the shock came: David Bowie is gone.

It's almost like he chose when and how to die, saying good bye with a new album. An artist until his very last breath.
One of my favorite David Bowie appearances:

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #148,535 of 150,382
My favorite Steely Dan album is Gaucho.
I just received my Acoustic Sounds UHQR 45 rpm copy of this fine album and gave Babylon Sisters a spin.

Tomorrow, I'll play it against my original MCA, promo copy of the same lp which is a marvelous pressing of this record.

Curious. Any other forum members order a copy of the UHQR Gaucho lp? And if so, how do you like it.
I had no idea it already shipped! I thought it wasn't getting released until May, guess I'll order a copy - I already own the UHQR Aja copy and it's amazing.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #148,536 of 150,382
This post can definitely be deleted if it's inappropriate but I wanted to let folks who are well-distanced from a Total Wine store know that Oregon Spirit's online purchasing portal is up and running - and it's listing only a few states they cannot ship to. It is operated through a third party who ships the actual product. I'm very excited about the potential to get our whiskey into more people's glasses! 😁

OSD Whiskey Online
Since we have access to you, what are your favorites? (yes, I know you never ask a parent this question, but come on, you like at least one more than the others)

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #148,537 of 150,382
Beverly Kenney..."Sigh"....
s-l1600.webp

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #148,538 of 150,382
One of my favorite David Bowie appearances:

Nice! This is one of my favorite songs. And one of those where the LP sends any digital version I've heard to the very back of the line.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #148,539 of 150,382
Since we have access to you, what are your favorites? (yes, I know you never ask a parent this question, but come on, you like at least one more than the others)
Since even before I worked here, I've always loved our Rye the most of our core whiskies and probably still do.

Of the Bottled-in-Bonds, I dig the Wheat BiB the most, but by a small margin. :)

And our Dry Gin (which I happen to be proofing down at this very moment) is my favorite gin I've ever had, and that's an honest assessment, not just me trying it sell it - much like Jason, I'm no salesman! 😁

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #148,540 of 150,382
Since even before I worked here, I've always loved our Rye the most of our core whiskies and probably still do.

Of the Bottled-in-Bonds, I dig the Wheat BiB the most, but by a small margin. :)

And our Dry Gin (which I happen to be proofing down at this very moment) is my favorite gin I've ever had, and that's an honest assessment, not just me trying it sell it - much like Jason, I'm no salesman! 😁
Your Bottled-In-Bond, is bottled in Bend?

Sorry! I'll bet you've only heard that one a million times!

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #148,541 of 150,382

I think many artists have released something knowing their end was near. Leonard Cohen's You Want it Darker really shook me.

yep exactly my experience - I cannot think why his passing hurt so much

I still haven't quite figured it out, either. It was the end of an era, or several eras in his case.

I felt that way when Chick Corea passed on, out of the blue.

That one hit me pretty hard, too. I passed on a chance to see him at a festival the summer before. Just wasn't up to the crowds. Still kinda kick myself for that.

Man, I'm with you there. Obviously grew up with Bowie all around me, I've even viewed the very strange The Man Who Fell To Earth (and kinda liked it), but never was actually all that much into Bowie. But yeah, his passing was such an abrupt ending of a bedrock presence in popular culture, I really felt it. Then I listened to Blackstar and was absolutely floored. Shaken to my bones. In fact, I think it is one of the most artistically and humanly powerful works of musical art of our lifetime.

Everything he recorded had a raw urgency behind it. Even, and maybe particularly this final album.

And one of my favorite videos with David Bowie:

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #148,542 of 150,382
Your Bottled-In-Bond, is bottled in Bend?

Sorry! I'll bet you've only heard that one a million times!
It never gets old! 😆

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #148,543 of 150,382
I think many artists have released something knowing their end was near. Leonard Cohen's You Want it Darker really shook me.
I love his music, but have deliberately avoided that album, for that very reason. I suppose eventually I need to suck it up and listen.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #148,544 of 150,382
Hey, anyone else noticed that Martin Logan has Schiit products in their brochure and on their website for their new Motion XT series, particularly the XT F200 speakers? (https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/motion-xt-f200) Good for Schiit! Has anyone heard this combo of Martin Logan / Schiit? I am interested... Also noticed on the Schiit Syn page Schiit usees Martin Logan speakers... I am interested in this combo. Wonder if there will be a Schiit / Martin Logan combo like the Schiit / Dan Clark combos we have seen. Kinda cool.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #148,545 of 150,382
Anyone got a cheapo power cable for their Schiit? My Asgard 2 came without the stock power cord, and the one the seller provided fits too loosely in the socket and wiggles its way out sometimes. Looking to replace with the typical Schiit cable if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back