Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #148,501 of 150,082
As someone who lives in PA, Hershey's really isn't very good, it has an odd taste to it. Sarris (in Western PA) and Wilbur's in Lancaster are both significantly better. Not tried the others, will have to give them a go.
Hershey and Godiva are both on there a bit tongue-in-cheek.

When we lived near-ish East Greenville, the smell of the chocolate being produced at Blommer was intoxicating. The kids went to school maybe a mile from there and complained incessantly about the torture.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #148,502 of 150,082
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #148,504 of 150,082
Oh no, this is Texas, not California. They're used to building homes.
  • Cali: 7 years, including public hearings and city supervision of the entire construction process (that we paid for) and engineering reviews and threats to rescind all approvals to date based on disagreements with contracted inspectors and fights between various county and city agencies and utilities.
  • Texas: about 18 months, 6 of which is because we took a wrong turn on the home design to start, and 0.36% the cost vs California in permits. These are for similar "difficult" homes--on a sloping lot, weird features, nonstandard layouts, full custom design, etc.
And to be suuuuuper clear, it's different. CA you're gonna be buying in a tract, unless you're an entertainment mogul or tech bro (or live WAYYYYYY out from any city). Texas has tracts and lots and defined builders and lots with free choice and just plain old pieces of land that you can do whatever you want with, it's more of a continuum. There are many billboards in Texas saying, "Got land? Let's build!" I have literally never in my life seen a billboard for a custom home builder in California. Literally. Never.

Again, let's not make this political. Both states have great things and crazy things. But if you're comparing building a custom home, no contest.
You just wait until Sir Jason of Stoddard sees this political sham of a post! Why...Why...Nevermind.:beerchug:

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #148,505 of 150,082
Oh no, this is Texas, not California. They're used to building homes.
  • Cali: 7 years, including public hearings and city supervision of the entire construction process (that we paid for) and engineering reviews and threats to rescind all approvals to date based on disagreements with contracted inspectors and fights between various county and city agencies and utilities.
  • Texas: about 18 months, 6 of which is because we took a wrong turn on the home design to start, and 0.36% the cost vs California in permits. These are for similar "difficult" homes--on a sloping lot, weird features, nonstandard layouts, full custom design, etc.
And to be suuuuuper clear, it's different. CA you're gonna be buying in a tract, unless you're an entertainment mogul or tech bro (or live WAYYYYYY out from any city). Texas has tracts and lots and defined builders and lots with free choice and just plain old pieces of land that you can do whatever you want with, it's more of a continuum. There are many billboards in Texas saying, "Got land? Let's build!" I have literally never in my life seen a billboard for a custom home builder in California. Literally. Never.

Again, let's not make this political. Both states have great things and crazy things. But if you're comparing building a custom home, no contest.
Bravo. I hear you. Been there twice...here in So Cal.
Happy now. Done with ever going through that.. again.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #148,506 of 150,082
Another long day and worse than usual traffic added more to the stress of the day. Finished dinner and time for a drink and tunes.

Today's Jazz recommendation...

1713487990819.png
Yes!
Guess what time it is here?

The wifey picked this up today at Big Lots!

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #148,507 of 150,082
I need to try some OSD!

(This is not a beg. It's a reminder to myself.)
It is well worth trying! I especially like their bottled in bond bourbon.😉

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #148,509 of 150,082
This link is fun, and pretty good for discovering new artists. FWIW - No sign ups, no email adds, no issues that I have had over two years playing with it.

https://www.music-map.com/
Wow! Thank you so much! It's very cool. You put in the name of a composer/performer, the system finds it for you (reliably so far), and then shows you a rather complex map of which other artists you might like based on their similarity to the one you put in. Would love to know what kind of algorithm they used to create this. As you said, no ads, sign-ups or other issues. Much appreciated recommendation!

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #148,510 of 150,082
Wow! Thank you so much! It's very cool. You put in the name of a composer/performer, the system finds it for you (reliably so far), and then shows you a rather complex map of which other artists you might like based on their similarity to the one you put in. Would love to know what kind of algorithm they used to create this. As you said, no ads, sign-ups or other issues. Much appreciated recommendation!
Seems pretty accurate. I typed in Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits was the next closest artist. And I’d say those two are pretty much my favorite musical artists. Additionally a large number of artists that popped up were also ones I liked quite a bit. Seems worth using as a way to find new stuff.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #148,511 of 150,082
Seems pretty accurate. I typed in Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits was the next closest artist. And I’d say those two are pretty much my favorite musical artists. Additionally a large number of artists that popped up were also ones I liked quite a bit. Seems worth using as a way to find new stuff.
Two of my favorites as well.😁

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #148,512 of 150,082
My favorite Steely Dan album is Gaucho.
I just received my Acoustic Sounds UHQR 45 rpm copy of this fine album and gave Babylon Sisters a spin.

Tomorrow, I'll play it against my original MCA, promo copy of the same lp which is a marvelous pressing of this record.

Curious. Any other forum members order a copy of the UHQR Gaucho lp? And if so, how do you like it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #148,513 of 150,082
My favorite Steely Dan album is Gaucho.
I just received my Acoustic Sounds UHQR 45 rpm copy of this fine album and gave Babylon Sisters a spin.

Tomorrow, I'll play it against my original MCA, promo copy of the same lp which is a marvelous pressing of this record.

Curious. Any other forum members order a copy of the UHQR Gaucho lp? And if so, how do you like it.
I eagerly await your thoughts, sir! A great album to be sure and one you will doubtless enjoy via either pressing. Huzzah, indeed!

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #148,514 of 150,082

Users who are viewing this thread

Back