Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #148,546 of 150,197
I think many artists have released something knowing their end was near. Leonard Cohen's You Want it Darker really shook me.

I still haven't quite figured it out, either. It was the end of an era, or several eras in his case.

That one hit me pretty hard, too. I passed on a chance to see him at a festival the summer before. Just wasn't up to the crowds. Still kinda kick myself for that.

Everything he recorded had a raw urgency behind it. Even, and maybe particularly this final album.

And one of my favorite videos with David Bowie:

Guess I will be downloading Blackstar this afternoon....

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #148,547 of 150,197

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #148,549 of 150,197
I think many artists have released something knowing their end was near. Leonard Cohen's You Want it Darker really shook me.
Yeah, but not like Bowie did. Literally he died (Jan 10, 2016) two days after releasing Blackstar (Jan 8, 2016). At least, I can't think of another example like that.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #148,551 of 150,197
I had no idea it already shipped! I thought it wasn't getting released until May, guess I'll order a copy - I already own the UHQR Aja copy and it's amazing.
Yeah. It was supposed to ship May 3rd. I then received an email that it shipped on Monday and received it yesterday.
You are correct about Aja. It sounds fantastic!

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #148,553 of 150,197
U
Oh, I hear you on (all of) that!

I’ve just long lamented that - to me - the Porsche AWD “SUV” type vehicles have long been uniquely ugly (again to me). The performance is, of course, non pareil! I rode in one in Germany about 8 years ago or so with a business colleague… and, further back, I’ve rented 911’s for two week vacations in Germany, Switzerland and Austria (I speak passable German). And, have long been a VW/Audi/Porsche group guy (20+ years of Audi’s, first VW was back in 1987, most recent/last VW left the stable in 2022)…

But now, I’m “converted” (likely due to impending retirement and concomitant reduction of income) to ONLY “super reliable” and “super comfortable”… hence wife and I are now confirmed/committed Toyota/Lexus. My LS460 (bought used for the paltry sum of $15K with 50K miles on it in 2019!) has almost 400HP and it’s more than fast enough for me. That said, it isn’t the canyon carver my old GTI, or our 1994 Corvette C4/6 speed were/are…

Horses for courses.

Oh, and I (mostly) agree about the Asian “copiers copying copiers” designs are (mostly) churning out. I much prefer the lines/looks of my 2008 Lexus LS to the new ones. That said, the newest one is sorely tempting to me (except to me it is heresy they abandoned that world-class V8 for yet another twin turbo 6 - yawn!)…

But yeah, if one wants a good sports/performance platform AND an SUV/SAV type form factor, the Porsche is up there. I would just shudder at life-cycle costs (extrapolating from experience with VW and Audi, and friends experiences with Bimmers, etc.)

Again, not a critic of people’s choices, likes or dislikes. OTOH, pleased to see you understand performance/handling. :)

Re costs… it’s all over the map. I know of very costly maintenance basic VW products and literally no maintenance PAG products. YMMV.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #148,554 of 150,197
Hey, anyone else noticed that Martin Logan has Schiit products in their brochure and on their website for their new Motion XT series, particularly the XT F200 speakers? (https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/motion-xt-f200) Good for Schiit! Has anyone heard this combo of Martin Logan / Schiit? I am interested... Also noticed on the Schiit Syn page Schiit usees Martin Logan speakers... I am interested in this combo. Wonder if there will be a Schiit / Martin Logan combo like the Schiit / Dan Clark combos we have seen. Kinda cool.
Good eye!

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #148,555 of 150,197
Posted because it is worth watching how this develops. Copied from Audioholics Soundbyte newsletter:

@TektonDesign owner Eric Alexander threatens litigation on Audio Science Review forum alleging botched reviews from @AudioScienceReview and @ErinsAudioCorner.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #148,557 of 150,197
I watched the Erin's Audio vid yesterday. Not impressed with how Eric Alexander is handling this.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #148,559 of 150,197
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #148,560 of 150,197
That said, if he files, I'd be curious to read the complaint to see what kind of breach is being alleged.
Likely libel, and that is why it's interesting to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back