Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #148,246 of 150,925
Audfree.com

So this will strip the DRM from the Apple Music file. I did something back in the day to use my purchased AAC files on non iPods.

Other than being of dubious legality, aren't any offline files locally on the app encrypted?

Not exactly. It records the tracks at 1-1 speed in the new file format; it’s the streaming equivalent of taping a song off the radio on a boombox.

Audio Hyjack from Rogue Amoeba is app that I use to record audio from an app or another audio source. It can do much more but more but my use case limited to recording for learning guitar. https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

The resulting files get added to AnyTune to loop and slow it down as I'm trying to learn parts or songs. https://www.anytune.app/

Yes all the while listening to my desktop rig of Jot 2, Bifrost 2/64 and Aegir through HD6XX or Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers.

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #148,247 of 150,925
I too have found the same thing over the last 5-10 years, all the Coppertops failing, but the E-Bunny brand never a problem. Only buy E-Bunny brand now.

My parents bought their batteries in bulk at Costco. When my wife and I had to take care of those devices, all were ruined by leakage. So we started buying Duracell and soon had the same problem. A little research told us Duracell made the Kirkland branded batteries. We've switched again to the "bunny batteries" and haven't lost a device yet.

...and yes, i know they're technically called cells, but people look at ya kinda funny.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #148,250 of 150,925
Strangely, I haven't had any trouble out of the dryer. Still using it. Bought a Maytag top-load washer a few weeks ago, so we now have a mismatched pair. The wife would normally have a hissy-fit about that, but she hated that LG washer so bad she didn't care. Funny, when the appliance store guys delivered the Maytag and hauled off the LG I told them it still kinda worked, sort of maybe. He laughed and said that some brands they will refurbish, some they will donate, but LG front-loaders go directly to the landfill. His words. 🤣
Welcome to crazy-ville Jason! We make our own butter and butterfat, as well as yogurt and farmers cheese now, from our local in-town dairy. A 1/2Gallon of Jersey Cow, raw-milk, whole milk costs me a whopping $3.50….

We grind our own grains (get a lot of “heritage” grains, whole wheat, spelt, rye, oats, einkorn, etc…) to make breads, etc. (we don’t buy bread either).

Oh, and now that we’re getting settled (again), the raised bed gardens are going in at our new (to us) place: in past (and future, Lord-willing) we raise potato’s, carrots, lettuce, peppers, green beans, herbs, raspberries, blueberries, lemons (yes, with “portable” tree for winter), squashes, cucumbers, and I forget what else. We just built the fence for this garden, and it’s enclosed around 3000 square feet (we have terrible deer and rabbit pressure), and the beds are going in this upcoming weekend.

We don’t need RO water; we have our own deep well, of wonderful fresh mountain water… I do roast my own coffee (source the beans green from a company in California that imports them).

So, I guess we in this hobby ARE a bit “eccentric”, eh?

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #148,251 of 150,925
It strange that these are not at all a thing in Australia.
When I was in Dallas for work last year, one of the items on my list was to get a new ice maker for the staff kitchen. The old one busted and mouldy. We were bringing on new staff and it was almost a necessity for employee sat. Would not have been on the radar at all in Australia.
Yeah, but then beer stocked fridges are not a thing in US (or UK) offices!!

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #148,252 of 150,925
Not just raced, but raced and won the Trans Am championship with one of the coolest race cars ever!

IMG_7097.jpeg
Ah the wonderful Audi Coupe’ Quattro!

My first Audi was the street version, (unfortunately not the “Ur” variant!) 1990 Coupe’ Quattro. Best “terrible conditions” vehicle I’ve ever owned (physical, gear-based Quattro drive-train - not today’s computerized gizmo) AND it even had locking differentials! I literally NEVER once got stuck, even in 18” plus of unplowed snow.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #148,253 of 150,925
I’m pretty sure that whoever does the sound effects for The Mandalorian has the same GE dishwasher as me and samples it.

Don't you people watch the show "Evil". Don't ignore the sounds dishwashers make. It can lead to demonic possession...! :smiling_imp:

images (1).jpg

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #148,254 of 150,925
Bosch had Ohm speakers I believe.
He did, friends and I created his exact gear setup. I refurbed three pieces for our experiment.

McIntosh MX110 tuner/pre-amplifier, McIntosh MC240 power amplifier, Marantz 6300 turntable, and Ohm Walsh 4 speakers

We replayed a lot of the jazz from the TV series and my favorite was Art Pepper. It sounded very good for vintage gear.

Another popular show with a decent record collection and audio gear was Suits. A Pro-Ject turntable and PrimaLuna amp were shown early on but I believe the amp changed later.

As far as Bosch I traced the gear back to the rental company who provided it for the show.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #148,256 of 150,925
.... brings up the question: 'what is your favourite (artificial, otherwise) ingredient name?' Mine is xylitol.

.... who knows what its long-term effects are 😳🤷🏻‍♂️?
..made me think Xylene or Xylol. that'd be a nasty ingredient in gum or fake mayo. seems to recall use of Xylol in a bio class as a solvent when prepping specimens for slide making

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #148,257 of 150,925
My son (the mechanical engineer) thinks the periodic noises are related to the type of motor the compressors have these days: a linear motor. Apparently they’re known for those “sounds”. Now whether or not that also correlates to the ice maker, haven’t established. But the noises were “interesting” (at first), now we’re used to them (this is our second KitchenAid refrig - we got it about 2 1/4 years ago, our previous one was from 2004, still going strong (AFAIK) in the house we sold in 2018.

So, apparently “normal”…
You are on to something here.

Our newer GE clothes washer is direct drive and when it changes cycles, it makes thee most obnoxious, loud metallic banging sounds.
Scared the Schiit outta me the first time we used it.
I then read the manual and it stated that those noises were, um, normal operational sounds.

Alrighty then.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #148,258 of 150,925
Don't know if you had Gjallarhorns or not, if not, Ragnarok 2 is a good choice, simple, powerful enough and in one piece, one power cord.
Of course you are the one to make decision.
Yeah I love the idea of just less cables at my desk for sure. Way more than I need in my office but essentially it’s the same price as 2 ghorns and a pre amp. I more didn’t wanna get anything until the winter when I renew my contract with work.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #148,259 of 150,925
Since we are talking appliances...

Shout out to Amana refrigerators. Had one in our home for 20 years w/ zero issues or service calls. After we decided to remodel and get new appliances, we moved it out to our uninsulated garage for beer fridge duty. After an additional 3 years of serving up ice cold beer during brutally hot Texas summers, it finally crossed the appliance Rainbow Bridge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back