Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #148,232 of 149,748
We're talking refrigerators? We had a Whirlpool for 20+ years and didn't move it from California to Arizona even though it was still working just fine. The Samsung "French door" unit we installed here lasted about 10 years until the ice makers and freezer stopped working, and we replaced it with a Goldstar (LG) which seems to be a much better unit than the Samsung. As with anything else in the modern world, YMMV.
My parents have a Liebherr running 30+ years (and no, no ridiculous energy usage) , those kind of fridges are not made anymore ... probably (I am convinced) the well build fridges are overall way more energy/ambient friendly than those produced nowadays with a dying age in mind ...

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #148,233 of 149,748
Portrait of crazy people: we buy fridges without icemakers.

Why? Because we make ice only with RO water. We don't want the ice to affect the taste of the drink. So we use an external icemaker, fed by a reverse osmosis unit, to make ice that is then stored in the freezer.

We can also talk about "chores when switching from house to house" including making bread and salad dressing. Haven't bought any of those in years.

Squinting and saying, What? Yeah, I said we were crazy. There you go.

Edit: please don't make this into a "health politics" discussion. We are weird. We are foodie-ish. We make strange choices. It's OK. Enjoy your Pringles and Slim Jims and Miracle Whip. Okay, maybe not Miracle Whip. Shudder. If you like it, more for you.
I would never consider a fridge with an ice maker, I make it manually with tap water and never ever thought it added taste to my drinks, it just did what i expected: it got cold(er) :xf_cool:

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #148,234 of 149,748
Always a Bosch dishwasher, whatever else you have. At least IMO.

Fun anecdote: a friend got two "free" Viking dishwashers when he bought a bunch of Viking stuff. I told him that our experience with Viking dishwashers was, ah, not ideal. He said, "Who cares, I have two of them." A year later, both were broken at the same time. YMMV.
reminds me of a story about Steve Jobs, he took ages to find the washers that make sense to him, he ended up with Miele.
I got a Miele hoover, amazingly solid and still going strong after 10 years

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #148,235 of 149,748
We have our Siemens (which is Bosch) dishwasher for 10 years now. We moved 3 times in that period, and the thing survived that all and is still doing its work without signs of aging.
Our fridge is Siemens, didn't know it was Bosch. Our dishwasher is AEG after replacing a very old whirlpool (15+, we used for about10 years).
The whirlpool we got fixed twice, with the third time I asked our technician what would be the best replacement, his response: 'with the production quality of nowadays: the cheapest you can find'

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #148,239 of 149,748
I am so done with Durasmell batteries.
They leak even before they're dead...Aack!
I too have found the same thing over the last 5-10 years, all the Coppertops failing, but the E-Bunny brand never a problem. Only buy E-Bunny brand now.

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #148,240 of 149,748
Can confirm. I'm on my third dedicated under cabinet ice maker. To be fair, the first was bought used. They are expensive to purchase and insanely unreliable and expensive to repair.

It's true that they don't keep the ice frozen which is why it's always easy to scoop out. I hate trying to get ice out of built in ice makers on fridge/freezer combos (press the lever, waiting, waiting, still nothing then BAM! 15 cubes at once)

The ice is great for water and iced tea, but not your best bet for mixed drinks. Despite my gripes, I love having it. Also weird I suppose.
It strange that these are not at all a thing in Australia.
When I was in Dallas for work last year, one of the items on my list was to get a new ice maker for the staff kitchen. The old one busted and mouldy. We were bringing on new staff and it was almost a necessity for employee sat. Would not have been on the radar at all in Australia.

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #148,241 of 149,748
I like the taste of Miracle Whip, I don't like the thought of ever finding out what is actually in the stuff.
And yet you blend awesome spirits for a living. Perhaps this can be forgiven.

*I have never tasted Miracle Whip, but having looked up what it is, I don't think I'm missing out. I like Kewpie Mayo on a cheese sandwich, so maybe I am the strange one?

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #148,242 of 149,748
.... brings up the question: 'what is your favourite (artificial, otherwise) ingredient name?' Mine is xylitol.

.... who knows what its long-term effects are 😳🤷🏻‍♂️?
I do know it's *really* bad for dogs. We always watch for that one on anything that might end up with the canine family members.

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #148,243 of 149,748
Yeah, thanks... I just went downstairs to get a coffee, and my 2 year old Kitchen Aid 'fridge is making a loud knocking noise... I hope that's the defrost cycle and not a call for replacement.

So much for Whirlpool, I guess. Next?
FYI: Whirlpool, Maytag, and KitchenAid are basically identical when it comes to the bigger appliances (refrigerators, dishwashers, etc.)… share common parts and even manuals in some cases. I’ve had very good luck since 2004 with them… Friends with LG and Samsung appliances; not so much (especially LG).

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #148,244 of 149,748
Ours does that too on occasion. We don't have a water line connected for the ice maker and I 'think' it's the ice mech trying to make ice.
My son (the mechanical engineer) thinks the periodic noises are related to the type of motor the compressors have these days: a linear motor. Apparently they’re known for those “sounds”. Now whether or not that also correlates to the ice maker, haven’t established. But the noises were “interesting” (at first), now we’re used to them (this is our second KitchenAid refrig - we got it about 2 1/4 years ago, our previous one was from 2004, still going strong (AFAIK) in the house we sold in 2018.

So, apparently “normal”…

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #148,245 of 149,748
Smile and good morning from good ole Raleigh, NC...
Need to visit the Red Oak facility before the below collision!!
LOL!

Vali 3 still impresses the heck out of me!

Alex
1713353657108.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back