Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #143,582 of 149,585
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #143,583 of 149,585
Yeah. Quite enjoyed it and fair at MSRP. Itā€™s not allocated, so should be easy to track down.
I saw it last time I was in my local. I'll pick it up and try it! šŸ‘šŸ»

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #143,584 of 149,585
I am thankful to have an ear for both SS and tube gain. Tubes can bring an aura to the music that I am happy to perceive. I went for almost a year in SS on my Freya (N) before I really discovered the tube side of the equation. I still mainly run SS but when I really want to relax and take in the music, it is tube time.
It is interesting. Since getting my Freya N (with stock tubes), I've mostly landed on the thinking of: Critical Listening = Tubes on. Laid back listening while gaming (driving or shooting games) or reading or some such, that = SS 4x gain. But every now and then I leave it on SS and listen more intently and still really enjoy the engaging sound a lot! And honestly, I'm not sure I can tell much of a difference between them in most listening seshes anyway. But my mind makes me think that tube mode has got to be more special because it's, well, tubes duh! Haha

Once I get my new system all purchased, I'll likely begin with some tube rolling on the right hand side and start exploring those differences I hear talked about.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #143,585 of 149,585
Wait! Freya N has a solid state mode!?

I've never listened to SS passive or SS active mode since getting mine. Tubes only. šŸ˜„

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #143,587 of 149,585
Care to make a few suggestions?
Trombone Shorty - for more up tempo New Orleans style. There is a pretty good YouTube video of him and Wynton Marsalis going at it. While trombone is in his name - spends more time on trumpet.

His debut album is best IMO.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #143,588 of 149,585
My very simple yet awesomely effective jazz recommendation is to look at any album that Blue Note has released in their Tone Poet series and just stream those to see what you like. Some insanely good stuff, some of which was never even released! šŸ˜Æ

Blue Note Tone Poet Series

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #143,589 of 149,585
Quick Freya+ / N questions...

Anybody else leave their Freya + or N on 24x7? I leave mine powered on and just switch to SS passive mode to cut tubes off. I only power off if heading out on vacay or if there are T-Storms in the area.

Any danger in leaving it on all the time? I'm of the opinion that the power rush on turn-on is more taxing on gear than leaving it on, but those glowing things in the preamp always being lit up makes me curious. Am I wrong? šŸ˜•

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #143,590 of 149,585
Chet Baker Sings (He canā€™t actually sing, but there is a certain charm in how he tries.)
That's the best review of Chet Baker that I've ever read, and it was only one sentence! Bravo!

I do like Chet Baker very much. It's strange how you can miss someone that you've never met...

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #143,591 of 149,585
Quick Freya+ / N questions...

Anybody else leave their Freya + or N on 24x7? I leave mine powered on and just switch to SS passive mode to cut tubes off. I only power off if heading out on vacay or if there are T-Storms in the area.

Any danger in leaving it on all the time? I'm of the opinion that the power rush on turn-on is more taxing on gear than leaving it on. Am I wrong? šŸ˜•
I do the same, but not for your reason. All our tube gear that is solely tube gear gets turned on and off every time, and i certainly plan on using them for years. Just figure passive mode is fine to leave on.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #143,593 of 149,585
Wait! Freya N has a solid state mode!?

I've never listened to SS passive or SS active mode since getting mine. Tubes only. šŸ˜„
There is a SS section. And apparently Jason wasted his time on it. šŸ¤£ šŸ¤Ŗ

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #143,595 of 149,585
Here are some of my picks:

Coleman Hawkins ā€œAt Ease with Coleman Hawkinsā€
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messangers ā€œThree Blind Miceā€
Chet Baker Sings (He canā€™t actually sing, but there is a certain charm in how he tries.)
Ornette Coleman ā€œThe Shape of Jazz To Comeā€ more ā€œout thereā€ than a lot of Jazz, but very good.
Django Reinhardt
Bill Evans ā€œThe Complete Village Vanguard 1961ā€
Leon Sash ā€œThis is The Jazz Accordionā€ - Ideal if you like jazz but feel there just isnā€™t enough accordion in it.
Henry Mancini ā€œThe Pink Panther Themeā€. Very well done Pop-Jazz
Herbie Hancock ā€œHeadhuntersā€ Actually most of Hancockā€™s work is worth listening to.
Joe Henderson
Oscar Peterson ā€œNight Trainā€
Wayne Shorter ā€œBeyond the Sound Barrierā€
And many othersā€¦
Chet Baker was an excellent trumpet player and a more than adequate singer. I very much enjoy his voice. Some describe it as kinda-sort androgynous. Some. Not me. His voice is well suited to his style of singing. Johnny Mathisā€™ voice is one of my all time favorites and as Chetā€™s was tailored to his style so too was/is Mathisā€™. Another example of a singer with a voice that was suited to his catalog of songs is Ed Ames.

And to be sure, there are other vocalists that choose their catalog to suit their abilities and in doing so they also promote the songs in a way that showcases not only the singer but also the author(s) of the Words & Music. Johnny Mercer was a fine singer but to listen to him joyfully belt out "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive" is to know the joy of a lyric made musical mirth.

Not a simple, single sentence, I know. I tend to ā€˜ramble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back