Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #143,566 of 151,577
The other problem with recommending specific Jazz artists is the drastic evolution that many of the longer lived artists have had. I love some some Hancock and Shorter, but had to actually leave a concert of theirs when it ended up too improvisational (but to be honest, that was also partly due to our kid's bedtime / also not enjoying the shift in style and not wanting to totally turn them off jazz since this was two legends we're talking about to begin with).

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #143,567 of 151,577
I believe that you aren't looking very hard. Most of the music I listen to is acoustic and unplugged. And damn little of it is classical, and none of it is jazz.

Am I the only one here tha just doesn't like JAZZ? I've never figured out why, I love atonal and percussive classical, but just dislike almost all jazz.
I do not like jazz either. Agreed, I just dislike almost all jazz. Jazz at the pawnshop is the only Jazz album I own.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #143,568 of 151,577
Well, if you're gonna own only one jazz album that's a damn good one to have. 😄

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #143,569 of 151,577
Can't go wrong with:

Frank Sinatra
Ella Fitzgerald

Mile's Davis (Kinda Blue, Sketches of Spain, etc)

John Coltrane - Love Supreme

Dave Brubeck - Time's Up

Charles Mingus - Mingus Uh Um

Lot's of the Marsalis Brothers

Sarah Vaughan

Thelonious Monk
HUZZAH!! Frank! Ella! Sassy Sarah Vaughan! People with talent on loan from God! The rest of the list is also composed of all time greats but vocalists of the kind exemplified by those three are rare indeed. Thank you!!!!

Oh! And one of my favorites for excellent singing and repartee is “Boy Meets Girl”. Sammy Davis Jr. and Carmen McRae. It contains perhaps my favorite rendition of “Baby It’s Cold Outside”. Two talented people. “Sigh”…

We now return control of the thread to you. Until next time, at any time, when the control voice will take you to…The ORTer Limits!

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #143,570 of 151,577
The other problem with recommending specific Jazz artists is the drastic evolution that many of the longer lived artists have had. I love some some Hancock and Shorter, but had to actually leave a concert of theirs when it ended up too improvisational (but to be honest, that was also partly due to our kid's bedtime / also not enjoying the shift in style and not wanting to totally turn them off jazz since this was two legends we're talking about to begin with).
That’s a really good point. While I like a lot of Mile Davis’ stuff, there are a few albums that really annoy me. And I actively dislike “Avignon: The Last Concert”. I really like Wayne Shorter’s later stuff, but don’t really care for Weather Report.

There is some jazz I listen to because I want something relaxing and fun (Coleman Hawkins, Walter Wanderley, Django Reinhardt), others when I want to bathe in a sea of beautiful sonics (Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Bill Evans or Dave Brubeck) Others are more exciting and challenging (Art Blakey, Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus)

And Jazz is such a diverse genre with so many sub-genres that it may be more helpful to examine those as completely separate styles of music. Some jazz is more cerebral while some is very fun and “pop”. Ornette Coleman and Django Reinhardt are both jazz, but they are radically different in style and tone.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #143,572 of 151,577
OK, OK, here some based on a non exhaustive quick look at my Roon library (in no specific order):
  • Art Blakey
  • Art Farmer
  • Ben Webster
  • Benny Golson
  • Benny Carter
  • Bill Charlap
  • Bill Evans
  • Benny Carter
  • Cal Tjader
  • Chales Mingus
  • Charlie Haden
  • Charlie Parker
  • Chet Baker
  • Chucho Valdés
  • Coleman Hawkins
  • Count Basie
  • Dave Brubeck
  • Dexter Gordon
  • Dr. Lonnie Smith
  • Errol Garner
  • Gerry Mulligan
  • Grant Green
  • Horace Silver
  • Lee Morgan
  • Luis Bonfá
  • Max Roach
  • Oliver Nelson
  • Oscar Peterson
  • Phineas Newborn, Jr.
  • Poncho Sanchez
  • Ray Brown
  • Sérgio Mendes
  • Sonny Rollins
  • Stan Getz
  • Wes Montgomery
And still "jazz" but in different categories (to me):
  • Baden Powell
  • Bill Frisell
  • Brian Bromberg
  • Charlie Haden
  • Chris Thile
  • Curtis Stigers
  • Diana Krall
  • Esbjörn Svensson Trio
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band
  • Ibrahim Ferrer / Buena Vistal Social Club
  • João Gilberto
  • John Scofield
  • John McLaughlin
  • Keith Jarret
  • Laurindo Almeida
  • Melody Gardot
  • Michael Bublé (OK, I finally looked it up)
  • Micheal Wollny
  • Nat King Cole
  • Norah Jones
  • Tingvall Trio
  • Tito Puente
  • Uffe Steen Trio
  • Ulf Wakenius
  • Vestbo Trio
And know I missed (and left out) a ton...

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #143,573 of 151,577
I have the LP coming but couldn't wait. Between this new one and the trio of trios last year he is on quite the Renaissance run...

Screenshot_20240316_214528_Roon.jpg

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #143,575 of 151,577
I have the LP coming but couldn't wait. Between this new one and the trio of trios last year he is on quite the Renaissance run...

Just giving it a first listen, 4 of my favorite players, who I've hard many times live, at the very top of their game.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #143,577 of 151,577

I tried about three times now with this album and it just didn't land for me. Just goes to show the variety / personal preferences / difficulty to make blanket recommendations.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #143,578 of 151,577
What about Wishful Thinking?
A 5 piece made up of 4 of LA's finest plus David Garibaldi on drums.
DG played with them in between his on and off again stints with Tower Of Power.
This, Way Down West, their 3rd album, is my favorite of the four they released of which DG played on the first three.
Recorded and mixed by Roger 'the immortal' Nichols. Out of print but was originally released on cd and lp. Not too hard to find and worth the hunt

Attachments

• IMG_9835.JPG
    IMG_9835.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #143,579 of 151,577
I tried about three times now with this album and it just didn't land for me. Just goes to show the variety / personal preferences / difficulty to make blanket recommendations.
We all have our things! I've found over the last couple years I can't stand Mingus...

Today's sip...
20240316_220211.jpg

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #143,580 of 151,577
With all of the talk of Whiskies, and total wine and such, I decided to head over to total wine ( about 3 miles away). They had the Oregon Spirit Rye and they said it was on sale. So I bought some and it is good, and a nice departure from my regular drink of Laphroaig. However even on sale it was more than that Laphroaig. I do not have one of those new fangle Whisky serving boards so I just took the picture on one of the cutting boards that I own.

That is a cool cutting board. Trippy!

I am pleased the Rye did ya good. Out of curiosity, how much was the bottle? I never know how much it varies across the States. It's $50 in Oregon no matter where you buy it, unless on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back