Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #143,596 of 151,560
Quick Freya+ / N questions...

Anybody else leave their Freya + or N on 24x7? I leave mine powered on and just switch to SS passive mode to cut tubes off. I only power off if heading out on vacay or if there are T-Storms in the area.

Any danger in leaving it on all the time? I'm of the opinion that the power rush on turn-on is more taxing on gear than leaving it on, but those glowing things in the preamp always being lit up makes me curious. Am I wrong? 😕
I always switch to passive then turn it off. But I've always just turned stuff off. I'm sure audio gear is not sucking much juice at idle compared to the 47 (estimated) various lightbulbs that are always on in my long skinny dark house, but still... 🤪

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #143,597 of 151,560
Any time I need to listen but know it's less than, say, an hour? Not wasted!
For casual listening or background, I could see me using SS, but since I have a music room and the only reason I'm in it is to seriously listen to music for an extended period, it's always TUBE mode ON. :D

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #143,598 of 151,560
That's the best review of Chet Baker that I've ever read, and it was only one sentence! Bravo!

I do like Chet Baker very much. It's strange how you can miss someone that you've never met...
The fact that his drug dealer punched a bunch of his teeth out has something to do with his singing style, too...

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #143,599 of 151,560
LOL! I wasn't necessarily wanting a motorized pulley system to be able to turn it, but I like the concept. 🤣
I gotta drag out a pic of Rudolph now…
1710652286887.jpeg

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #143,600 of 151,560
I
This might almost be too deep for what I'm looking for. So many tubes! Haha But definitely a link to keep handy if I want to deep-dive into any specific tubes. Thanks, @Ohno Schiitizen!

I guess I'm hoping for more of a quick-reference guide for popular audio tube types so I can start learning the various families and compatibilities that many people here seem to know off the top of their heads. Which is very impressive!
Order a Vali 3. Within a few weeks, you’ll almost magically be familiar with all the 5670/396A/6CC42/6N3P and a few other variants and their cousins. Fot that reason, and the fact that any Vali 2 and above is a worthwhile investment in great sound - and you get Intro to Tubes 101 tuition included!

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #143,601 of 151,560
Quick Freya+ / N questions...

Anybody else leave their Freya + or N on 24x7? I leave mine powered on and just switch to SS passive mode to cut tubes off. I only power off if heading out on vacay or if there are T-Storms in the area.

Any danger in leaving it on all the time? I'm of the opinion that the power rush on turn-on is more taxing on gear than leaving it on, but those glowing things in the preamp always being lit up makes me curious. Am I wrong? 😕
Freya+ has some big DC PSU filter caps 3x 22000uF plus another bank of 3 (values not visible) along with another big cap for the DC heater supply (and presumably Freya N is very similar) so I would be inclined IF (and I DON'T) I had one to leave it on all the time in either passive or SS modes.

the glowing things are orange LED's used as low-noise voltage references / part of current sources for transistor differential gain stages, etc.

(Revised)
My Jot 2 (same glowing orange LED's visible from top vent holes found on other schiit products) has 4x15000uF DC PSU caps, which I keep up powered up 24/7 (idle power consumption for that unit ~12W) to reduce turn-on surge / in-rush currents ( bad for the power switch contacts, main electrolytic caps) DAC (BFM1 OG OG) is kept on 24/7 also but for other reasons.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #143,602 of 151,560
I

Order a Vali 3. Within a few weeks, you’ll almost magically be familiar with all the 5670/396A/6CC42/6N3P and a few other variants and their cousins. Fot that reason, and the fact that any Vali 2 and above is a worthwhile investment in great sound - and you get Intro to Tubes 101 tuition included!
I just bought a Heckuva Deal Magni+ or I probably would. Lol

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #143,603 of 151,560
Wait until you reach the last track...86 yesterday, LAWD
I heard him live several times in the last decade, he's an inspiration to those of us getting on in years.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #143,604 of 151,560
Freya+ has some big DC PSU filter caps 3x 22000uF plus another bank of 3 (values not visible) along with another big cap for the DC heater supply (and presumably Freya N is very similar) so I would be inclined IF (and I DON'T) I had one to leave it on all the time in either passive or SS modes.

the glowing things are orange LED's used as low-noise voltage references / part of current sources for transistor differential gain stages, etc.

My Jot 2 (same orange LED's visible from top vent holes) has 4x15000uF DC PSU caps, which I keep up powered up 24/7 (idle power consumption for that unit ~12W). DAC is kept on 24/7 also.
Is it better to keep those caps powered up rather than on/off? (or charged/uncharged - I'm not sure I remember how caps work.)

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #143,605 of 151,560

My Jot 2 (same orange LED's visible from top vent holes) has 4x15000uF DC PSU caps, which I keep up powered up 24/7 (idle power consumption for that unit ~12W). DAC is kept on 24/7 also.
I power off at night both the Freya+ and the Mjolnir3. Bifrost has been on 24/7 since beginning of the year. I am un-inclined to leave units powered up 24/7

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #143,606 of 151,560
Schiit DACs, Mani 2s, and Saga S I leave on. Headphone amps and Vidars I turn off. You can also read that second list as "anything that makes heat without a useful purpose", I guess.

I also turn off the Freya+ because I use the tube mode almost exclusively, and one operation of the power switch is easier for me than multiple presses of the output selector button. The passive mode on Freya+ just isn't useful in my system because I have a mix of balanced and single-ended sources on it, and a mix of balanced and single-ended devices on the outputs.

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #143,607 of 151,560
I tried about three times now with this album and it just didn't land for me. Just goes to show the variety / personal preferences / difficulty to make blanket recommendations.
Listening to this music is like skiing deep powder: we need to let our senses meld with the terrain, flow with gravity into the gaps between trees and rocks, nothing supporting us but the pressure of the turn. This music is not tunes, it is dynamic sensations that carry us along.

But then I know folks who hate skiing...

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #143,608 of 151,560
When I lived in Manhattan it drove me crazy to see morons with whippets and greyhounds and such in the city.
Greyhounds are great dogs in the city! Mellow personality and couch potatoes at home. I'm on my 3rd greyhound (all rescue adoptions) in a busy, urban part of San Francisco. How does that make me a moron?

20220919_074545~2.jpg
20230418_125112-2.jpg

20231216_165046.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #143,610 of 151,560
Sorry, but I don't fully understand what you're trying to do. Are you using the preamp-outs of the integrated into the GHorns so that you're using it just as a preamp? I would definitely not recommend using bi-wire speaker cables to hook up two active (stereo) amplifiers to the same load.
No, I want to connect two complete systems to one set of speakers, using bi-wire speaker wire to connect the two amplifers to the speakers (so the bi-wire would be reversed from expected use). Right now I have to swap out my speaker cables from the GHorn to the Integrated to listen to my TV from the speakers.

Seems like it would be easy to accidentally leave both amplifiers on, so I'm thinking a switch box would be a better idea. It's just the bi-wire seems so much easier. I already have too many boxes. One more could be the cardboard that ended recycling for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back