Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #142,636 of 149,418
Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 22.53.30.png

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #142,637 of 149,418
My earliest recollection of really liking music was in maybe 1967 or so (I was 10, my brother was 8). We had both been gifted AM radios with ear buds. There were two competing AM radio stations coming out of Chicago: WLS and WCFL. We would switch stations to keep the "best" music in our heads - always signaling to each other when a station change was required. Fun stuff.
It’s great you could listen to that in your youth! @Paladin79 had already graduated high school when AM radio was invented. :relaxed: :smile:

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #142,638 of 149,418
In the pre-FM days the best AM radio program I ever heard was the after-midnight Beeker Street Theater on KAAY out of Little Rock, Arkansas. It was my first exposure to "underground" music and it both turned me into a record collector and when I joined the Navy, to request the West Coast so I could be closer to LA and San Francisco.

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #142,640 of 149,418
It’s great you could listen to that in your youth! @Paladin79 had already graduated high school when AM radio was invented. :relaxed: :smile:
I do think a trash truck just backed over the flight board I was going to send you. Correction, any minute now.🤪IMG_7498.jpeg
I just finished this, time to get back to distressing yours.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #142,642 of 149,418
My earliest recollection of really liking music was in maybe 1967 or so (I was 10, my brother was 8). We had both been gifted AM radios with ear buds. There were two competing AM radio stations coming out of Chicago: WLS and WCFL. We would switch stations to keep the "best" music in our heads - always signaling to each other when a station change was required. Fun stuff.
Dan Diamond on WLS was one of the greats.

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #142,644 of 149,418
In the pre-FM days the best AM radio program I ever heard was the after-midnight Beeker Street Theater on KAAY out of Little Rock, Arkansas. It was my first exposure to "underground" music and it both turned me into a record collector and when I joined the Navy, to request the West Coast so I could be closer to LA and San Francisco.
Was that Clyde Clifford?

Mar 11, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #142,645 of 149,418
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #142,647 of 149,418
I'd totally forgotten about Beeker Street. Thanks for the memories! Always some music, early electronica-ish, playing in the background while the DJ was on the air. Other AM stations on that frequency would shut down overnight and KAAY could boost their output power for greater coverage.

Growing up, the AM station to listen to was WHB, pure top 40. They started playing a couple songs named Lucky Man and Roundabout. I really liked those songs and ended up on the FM band looking for more stuff like that. There were a couple underground stations that were great. The summer of 1975 one of those stations changed their call letters from KBEY to KBEQ and went full-on disco. By that time, I'd discovered the wonders of import records and rock/prog music from as far east as Hungary.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #142,648 of 149,418
@Ripper2860

Try this with your new Aegir...

I'm confident even those who don't have a schiiny new Aegir will enjoy this.

You'd be hard pressed to find a Bromberg album (where he is the primary artist) that I have not heard at least once. I'm a huge fan. Been a while since I've trotted this one out and certainly not since getting Aegir 2. Definitely added to the 'Spring Break' rotation. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #142,649 of 149,418
Hey, Jason, how about coming up with a SchiiTuner, in all your spare time...
031124marantztuner.jpg Here's some vinspiration...
(Like that? It's my contraction of vintage inspiration)
And this one even had an oscilloscope, even cooler than VU meters.
‘tis an excellent portmanteau, sir! Marantz is the stuff audio dreams are made of.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #142,650 of 149,418
I like the Schiit Audio simple elegance in case work. A photo of top plate of current project, with the placement of power switch and power inlet, just makes sense to have the switch and receptacle on the back corner of the plate. I find the Schiit switch to be perfectly placed, I say that cuz my first views of Schiit product, several were espressing huge frustration with the Schiit switch placement.

IMG_2715.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back