Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 9, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #142,412 of 152,850
Funny joke (I had a '71 e-type, I know Lucas reliability). The reality during the war, Brits were used to drinking room temp beer and electricity was rationed (9am to 12pm, and 2pm to 4pm). One would have had to be "posh" to have had an electric fridge. The only "cold beer" one was likely to have encountered was on an American base.
I believe that the first product Lucas produced was ' Rose tinted spectacles ' - they were very reliable and many still exist well into 2024 !! :L3000::L3000:

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #142,413 of 152,850
I actually find 55 degrees a little too cold for a good Napa Cab. I much prefer 56 degrees which is what my wine fridge is set at.
It's pretty amazing how sensitive our senses can be, right?

I am the same way with my sous vide steaks: 129 degrees is too rare, and 131 or 132 is too medium.

Same thing with the HVAC's nest: that half degree will make me happy.

And this from someone self diagnosed much more on the ADHD side, NOT OCD. 😜

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #142,415 of 152,850
This one can be hard ..... :L3000:

Skriðuklaustur & Klausturkaffi, Fljótsdalur valley, Iceland.
So HOW does one go about mowing the lawn? I might get a citation from my City for not cutting the grass. Do I tell them I’m afraid of heights or I don’t have a sheep that’s not afraid of heights?

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #142,416 of 152,850
Hraunþolið torfþak er frábært.

Icelander also built something like this, whether it is for lava protection, I am not quite sure.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 18.46.25.png

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 18.46.32.png

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 18.46.11.png

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #142,417 of 152,850
Since a Vali of The Toad with TwiinTube Power is never going to happen mayhaps Sir Jason and Sir Mike will maketh merry and come out with a really schweeeeeeeeeeeet V3 with looks worthy of being looked at?
Now a twin tube Vali3 would be something to behold, a 6N1P input tube and a 6N6P output? That would certainly be sweet to look at! :smile: Probably would draw way too much power for a wall-wart power supply tho…

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #142,419 of 152,850
Aren't most French cellars around 58 degrees F (the average temp of the earth 8 feet down in temperate climates)? Red wine shouldn't be served at room temp, when room temp is 72 degrees F.
That temperature (obviously) varies in the temperate zones, but typically deep-soil/constant earth temperature is, for example 57F in New England(6 feet or more down). I suspect that in the wine regions of France, deep cellar temps would be in that rough Range as well.

I used this reality to build a succession of 4 basement wine-cellars, of increasing capacity and insulation capacity, across 4 homes. My previous home it was a double 2x6 walled fiberglass insulation with 12” air gap between walls, dual doors, and dual insulated ceiling. So, around R90 in the ceiling, and R72 or so in the walls. Open To the basement concrete floor at bottom. It ran a stable yearly cycle of between 56-58, trailing the seasons by about 3-4 months (so warmest it got was in around October or November, and coldest in April or May. That was an epic effort, but held 2000 bottles, plus other stuffs.

We moved to Texas in 2018, and I moved about 750 bottles along. We then bought a used huge furniture grade indoors wine cabinet. It didn’t hold all 750, so the “less good” ones ended up in boxes in the corner. By the time we moved back to New England, we had drunk it down a bit. But would need a wine cellar in our new home here. I took opportunity to sell 6 cases of the “best of the best” as it had appreciated in value to where I was like ‘I need the money more than any wine’. Got almost 5 digits worth. (Most were 1982, 88, 89 and 90 Bordeaux, including first and second growths).

Fortunately we have a basement! So I just build a small room, against floor and outside basement NE - facing (but shaded) wall, and LIGHTLY insulated it with foam board. I took the AC unit from the furniture piece (which we could not move as it was too large to fit into anyway into the basement in this home, and too tall to work in any room inside (texas typically has 8+ foot ceilings, New England 7 1/2 or slightly less) and mounted it.

It’s holding steady 57F with no usage of the Unit so far (of course we are still in winter).

So yes, cellar temperature, REAL cellar temp, is perfect for storing and aging quality wines. If you own them LONG enough, you can make obscene profits after 30+ years for the right wines. We do it for the wine and gourmet meals, because if you buy wine this way (futures, discounts for case lots, etc.) and store them, you can enjoy wonderful 10-25 year old aged reds for a relative bargain. (E.g. I paid no more than $50 for any of the bottles I later sold for so very much more).

Now, almost retired, we’re drinking things down; nonet cost to buy over-priced plonk today, nor pay ridiculous prices of $75 or more for what I consider mid-grade California (or other region) wines. Hell, I only paid $200 in a restaurant in NYC when I proposed to my wife (Tavern on the Green if anyone remembers the place) for the bottle of 1961 Latour we had.

It’s fun to open a bottle I paid $25 for and drink it, knowing it is of the quality of $200 wines of today.

So add “worry about losing taste/smell as age” to the audiophile nervosa “worry about losing hearing as age” LOL

(Wine’s an alcoholic beverage just like Whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch after all…)

WINE ON THE SINE!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #142,420 of 152,850
Now a twin tube Vali3 would be something to behold, a 6N1P input tube and a 6N6P output? That would certainly be sweet to look at! :smile: Probably would draw way too much power for a wall-wart power supply tho…
... so give it a 5A external LPS ... 🙂

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #142,421 of 152,850
My infatuation with Aegir 2 is blossoming into full-blown love. Not prepared to say much more yet as I want to make sure it is not just the tequila, but while 2x GHorns are splendidly good, Aegir 2 takes it up a notch with its incisiveness, air, bass punch, extension and control, all while doing so in a seemingly effortless fashion.

While I've not heard Tyr, my general impression of Aegir 2 seems to follow what a lot of folks are saying about their Tyr amps but to a lesser extent, I'm sure. Jason states they borrowed several things learned from Tyr and applied it to Aegir 2, so I'm inclined to believe that there's a bit of Tyr DNA shining through. :wink:

More tomorrow.
Excellent news. How is the bass? I wonder, due to the low damping factor.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #142,422 of 152,850
Red wine may certainly be chilled. I wouldn’t chill a Chateauneuf de Pape or a bottle of Richebourg (also because I have none) but there are plenty of reds from the Loire and the Jura where the vignerons recommend a slight chill. Just had a Domaine de La Roche Bleue Pineau d’Aunis that fits the bill. As with audio and beer bugger any rules and do what you like. I’ve bought futures and have been cellaring since the 90’s when in my thirties and it’s really been paying off. I don’t have enough to sell though. Wine talk makes me wonder where Charente has been hiding lately.

Attachments

• IMG_4199.jpeg
    IMG_4199.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #142,425 of 152,850
So, a while back I made a few posts (one of which was deleted with a reason of "Email Schiit" which is totally fair) explaining that my Freya N remote had random but frequent dropouts in functionality. Turns out that it was simply the sensor's proximity to the shiny frame and display of my ancient Panasonic Plasma TV. For other reasons, I recently moved the Freya to the left on the shelf and I noticed immediately that the remote seems to function responsively all the time now. Something to consider on remote-enabled Schiit!

IMG_6725.jpeg
Horizon, whisky *and* Schiit? Quite the trifecta…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back