Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #142,441 of 151,950
And a 6922 to 12A*7 tube adapter.

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #142,442 of 151,950
Anyone at Canjam NYC? Wondering if anyone has seen the Vali 3?

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #142,443 of 151,950
Ahhhh... yes, optimum cellaring temperatures for red wines are 55-58 F (~13-14 C) but drinking them that cold will mute a majority of the flavors... drink at room temp. Pull them an hour before you drink them, uncork and let them sit quietly on the counter...

...and then we can talk (later) about the Decanting Wars.
Precisely…. And most QUALITY red wines, properly made, will throw a fair amount of sediment. You should see what I get on my remaining 1990 and 93 Chateauneuf, or 90, 2005 Bordeaux… Less so on the great Italians (Barbaresco, Brunello); though a good Amarone will throw sediment as well.

I *always* decant cellar temp reds, and let them air a while - the duration mostly depends on how old they are. For the really old ones 25 years or more, I’ll let them warm (laying down) on the kitchen counter for about 30 minutes before opening/decanting. (It would be bad to open/de-cork and let stand up for a while because the settled sediment Would begin redistributing in the wine…. Sometimes, I’ll get a “cork failure, where the cork, whilst not compromised, is on its last legs structurally and kinda crumbles. in those cases I just use a corkscrew to “drill a hole” all the way through, and then get my glass funnel, put a gold-plated Braun coffee filter screen in the funnel, and pour the wine through - aerates and removes those corky bits.

My experience having done this since the early 80’s (I still have a few 82 Bordeaux, and several 1976 German Trockenbeerenauslesen Rieslings… is that I have a “cork destroys wine” experience at maybe a 5% rate or less.

Most Reds that need chilling, I generally (not always) find rather thin and lacking in body. FWIW I am mostly not a Pinot Noir guy. To my tastes I can’t find ANY under $75 that are even acceptable to my palate. We’re big red folks: Zinfandels, Chat du Pape, Hermitage, Aussie Shiraz, Bordeaux, Chanti/Brunello/Amarone/just about any Italian red… We do love quality French Rose from Tavel, and we chill that.

But here’s a great reason to do it. We had this at Christmas with Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding and all the other fixings… Cost me $20 when I bought a case WAY back… We love to entertain and break out the old, good stuff! (I bought a case of 1996 Bordeaux for my oldest son’s birth year, and a case of 2000 Bordeaux for my youngest son’s as well - for their use at wedding, or however they wish).

IMG_1183.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #142,444 of 151,950
Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #142,445 of 151,950
The bass is tight and extended. Very controlled over what I thought was pretty well managed bass previously. I do have a subwoofer and found that I needed to dial the gain down on the sub as the main speakers were contributing more on the bottom-end. I even switched off the subwoofer for a session to hear the difference and found that other than the lowest registers (35Hz and below) the speakers were contributing more solid, extended and controlled bass than I'd heard previously. Not getting rid of the sub as it does add a good solid foundation when needed ('Cousin John' by Marcus Miller, 'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo' by Bela Fleck, 'Thanks to You' by Boz Scaggs, etc.). (Sub x-over is set at approx. 38Hz, btw.)

Over-all there's nothing not to like here. :wink:

** I suspect Aegir 2 will earn an A rating on TAS like its predecessor.

Too bad that you cannot compare it with the OG Aegir (Halo), it is also nice and I do not need the subwoofer, very good and tight bass from a small stand mount Dali Opticon 1 MKII, the bass cone is only a bit more than 4 inches .... Am I wrong bought the OG Aegir? I do not think so, but now you told us how the Aegir 2 performs, THANK YOU !

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #142,447 of 151,950
Things that sounded really great on the big system (a couple of nights ago):

IMG_0225.PNGIMG_0226.PNG

IMG_0228.PNGIMG_0230.PNG

IMG_0231.PNG ...more to come soonest. @Ripper2860 would love to hear your thoughts upon hearing "My Bass" on the Aegir 2!

/ds

Wonderful selection, my friend ! :thumbsup:

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #142,449 of 151,950
I was going to ask what news there was from NY CanJam and apparently it’s tacos! Yay!
... are they closed-back or open-back? Either way, I hope that they are wireless ... 😳🤪

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #142,450 of 151,950
Things that sounded really great on the big system (a couple of nights ago):

...more to come soonest. @Ripper2860 would love to hear your thoughts upon hearing "My Bass" on the Aegir 2!

/ds
Ok. With my limited audio vocabulary, I'll try...

Fast!
Precise!
Detailed!
Airy!
Visceral!
Palpable!

Finger plucks were precise. Overtones and undertones on either side of the primary note were distinguishable. Air around the notes and conveyance of the space was wonderful.

I'm running out of ways to describe it other than F'ing amazing and fun! Someone wipe this stupid grin from my face! 😄

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #142,451 of 151,950
Ok. With my limited audio vocabulary, I'll try...

Fast!
Precise!
Detailed!
Airy!
Visceral!
Palpable!

Finger plucks were precise. Overtones and undertones on either side of the primary note were distinguishable. Air around the nites and conveyance if the space were wonderful.

I'm running out of ways to describe it other than F'ing amazing and fun! Someone wipe this stupid grin from my face! 😄

That said, sounds right and sound nice. Right?

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #142,452 of 151,950
Yep.

Mar 9, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #142,453 of 151,950
Mar 9, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #142,454 of 151,950
Wow! Just Wow! I can finally say with confidence that My Schiit Don't Stink!

1000004875.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #142,455 of 151,950
Ahhhh... yes, optimum cellaring temperatures for red wines are 55-58 F (~13-14 C) but drinking them that cold will mute a majority of the flavors... drink at room temp. Pull them an hour before you drink them, uncork and let them sit quietly on the counter...

...and then we can talk (later) about the Decanting Wars.
Exactly why I dislike ice in my whiskey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back