Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #142,306 of 150,027
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #142,307 of 150,027
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #142,308 of 150,027
l
Here's a pretty random question for the peanut gallery:

I've got a Lyr+ and a Valhalla 2 sitting in their boxes. Which should I get out and try first? :)
As the other responses suggest, it depends on your other equipment, what sound you like (lush/lean) etc. but my answer:
Listen to the Valhalla first, you will like it. If you listen to Valhalla AFTER Lyr +, you will likely be disappointed with Valhalla.
Not that it doesn't have it's special flavor, but...
I have the Lyr+, and was considering buying Ripper's used Valhalla2. (The tubes he was offering were enticing.) I happened to be passing in the neighborhood of the Schittr --well within 100 miles--so I decided to go by and take a listen. For me, perhaps allowing a little tube rolling with Lyr+, Valhalla 2 didn't have much to add to the party.

Here's hoping you experience is different.
Noah .. . ... Sorry about that Ripper

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #142,309 of 150,027
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #142,310 of 150,027
When I was a kid, we didn't have a carrier for the cat. We took them in a pillow case to the vet. 😐
Excellent. I wish that shirt was available to buy. I also wish Mike was around HF more. ☹️
Go to Austin, I understand they have at least one T shirt shop, if they're not trying to corral their cats escaping from bags.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #142,311 of 150,027
As the other responses suggest, it depends on your other equipment, what sound you like (lush/lean) etc. but my answer:
Listen to the Valhalla first, you will like it. If you listen to Valhalla AFTER Lyr +, you will likely be disappointed with Valhalla.
Not that it doesn't have it's special flavor, but...
I have the Lyr+, and was considering buying Ripper's used Valhalla2. (The tubes he was offering were enticing.) I happened to be passing in the neighborhood of the Schittr --well within 100 miles--so I decided to go by and take a listen. For me, perhaps allowing a little tube rolling with Lyr+, Valhalla 2 didn't have much to add to the party.

Here's hoping you experience is different.
Noah Sorry about that Ripper
That's kind of the decision I made too; try Valhalla 2 and be happy with it, then also be happy with Lyr+. Don't let Lyr overshadow the smaller amp.

I've got the Beatles singing at me on Drop/Hifiman HE5XX's out of the Valhalla 2. Jotunheim 2 is still hooked up to the balanced outputs of Bifrost so I can easily bounce and and forth between them.
I can definitely hear the tubes, and I think I like that coloration of the sound that they add. Jot is crystal clear, while the tubes seem warmer and a little more filled in everywhere. Bass is not as crisp, but it's in a good way, not a loose boomy way.
I'll run these a week or two and then try Lyr+.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #142,313 of 150,027
During the War the American service personnel stationed in the UK would complain about the warm beer - it was no coincidence - we had Lucas refrigerators !!
Funny joke (I had a '71 e-type, I know Lucas reliability). The reality during the war, Brits were used to drinking room temp beer and electricity was rationed (9am to 12pm, and 2pm to 4pm). One would have had to be "posh" to have had an electric fridge. The only "cold beer" one was likely to have encountered was on an American base.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #142,314 of 150,027
That's kind of the decision I made too; try Valhalla 2 and be happy with it, then also be happy with Lyr+. Don't let Lyr overshadow the smaller amp.

I've got the Beatles singing at me on Drop/Hifiman HE5XX's out of the Valhalla 2. Jotunheim 2 is still hooked up to the balanced outputs of Bifrost so I can easily bounce and and forth between them.
I can definitely hear the tubes, and I think I like that coloration of the sound that they add. Jot is crystal clear, while the tubes seem warmer and a little more filled in everywhere. Bass is not as crisp, but it's in a good way, not a loose boomy way.
I'll run these a week or two and then try Lyr+.
I use my Lyr 3 preamp output to connect to my Jot 2. I run my headphones (mostly) from the Jot 2's balanced output. At the moment, Van Morrison's "The Mystery" is sublime through my HiFiMan HE1000se phones.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #142,315 of 150,027
Funny joke (I had a '71 e-type, I know Lucas reliability). The reality during the war, Brits were used to drinking room temp beer and electricity was rationed (9am to 12pm, and 2pm to 4pm). One would have had to be "posh" to have had an electric fridge. The only "cold beer" one was likely to have encountered was on an American base.
Don't they still drink beer warm?

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #142,316 of 150,027
Aegir 2 update (with a Freya + surprise):

Got home a bit early and got to spend a bit of time with Aegir 2. At one point I was rather disappointed as it had a very narrow soundstage as if mono and instruments were missing in some recordings as if out of phase. I double-checked everything and all was connected correctly. I dug out some test tones to check and the left speaker tone presented itself dead center between the speakers as did the right test tone -- no moving L and R. Phase test was fine for in-phase, but for the out-of-phase test, there was virtually no output. I was thinking that perhaps I had a defective unit. As a last resort, I unplugged the SE cable feeding my powered subwoofer and moved the SE cable feeding Aegir 2 over to the other RCA out. Everything sounded fine -- wide soundstage, missing instruments re-appeared, etc. Plugged the SE cable feeding my sub back in and back to collapsed soundstage, mono, and missing instruments. This was freaking weird. I dug up a really long pair of RCA cables to feed the sub and all was fine again. The only difference was I was originally running an RCA Y-cable out to 1 single RCA cable and then splitting it back out via a Y-splitter at the subwoofer. (It was easier to route and conceal a single cable.) Seems that Freya+ does not like having a stereo SE output combined. Never experienced the issue previously because the GHorns were connected via balanced XLR with sub connected via the combined SE outputs, so all sounded fine. This was never an issue with Rag v1 either. Maybe what I did is a no-no and this result is to be expected, but I've never experienced this with anything other than Freya+. Oh, well. A lesson learned.

Not prepared to say anything in-depth about Aegir 2 sound just yet. Did not get to spend much time after getting it sorted out and I need more time. So far so good, however. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #142,317 of 150,027
They already did a DSD. The original Loki I believe. And he didn't say NO class D, just that he hasn't heard any that didn't sound like ass, and until he did he was going to focus on other things.

I fully understand what you mean and no objection whatsoever, but Jason is like cook in a restaurant, he cook something for the customers, may be BBQ but no Sashimi .....

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #142,318 of 150,027
I find it more than sufficient. I run it with digital volume control which is less than ideal. I wanted an amp where I would be running the volume on the high side to maintain a decent noise floor without adding a Schiit Sys.

There is some bass bloom but that is a foible of the speakers, not the amp. The Spektors did that with an Aegir when I listened to them at home.

I see, thanks for the feedback.

Spektor 1 did have some shortcomings due to its size, pushing hard can result of resonance at the box, placing a bit more away from the wall is much better. Mine is at the middle of the room (all speakers are at same position) so it is kind of less influence by the room, in general, the Spektor 1 is for low to medium level listening, especially at late night.

If a single Rekkr can drive the Spektor 1 well, I will consider it....

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #142,319 of 150,027
So, a while back I made a few posts (one of which was deleted with a reason of "Email Schiit" which is totally fair) explaining that my Freya N remote had random but frequent dropouts in functionality. Turns out that it was simply the sensor's proximity to the shiny frame and display of my ancient Panasonic Plasma TV. For other reasons, I recently moved the Freya to the left on the shelf and I noticed immediately that the remote seems to function responsively all the time now. Something to consider on remote-enabled Schiit!

IMG_6725.jpeg

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #142,320 of 150,027
Is there going to be a Valhalla 3 that looks a Schiit-Ton better than the V2 or V1? One that would have both balanced and single-ended 'phone connections onboard. Since a Vali of The Toad with TwiinTube Power is never going to happen mayhaps Sir Jason and Sir Mike will maketh merry and come out with a really schweeeeeeeeeeeet V3 with looks worthy of being looked at?

I just swapped my Pro-Ject 2X into my main vinyl and headphone listening setup and first up on the 'table is "The Surfrajettes" album, "Roller Fink" followed by the loverly Nancy Wilson's album "Today, Tomorrow, Forever". I do not (yet) listen to records via headphones but may consider doing so if a V3 with proper In 'n' Out putses and looks to match my desires shows up. Soon? I hate plain & ugly which is why I steer clear of mirrors. I want equipment that looks as good as it works. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder but I don't drink beer.

I have a standalone pair of VU Meters waiting for something special. Jason? It's now or never. "Sigh"...I know. It's never. I feel like Eeyore. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back