Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 8, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #142,321 of 151,406
Here's a pretty random question for the peanut gallery:

I've got a Lyr+ and a Valhalla 2 sitting in their boxes. Which should I get out and try first? :)
What headphones await the two contenders?

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #142,324 of 151,406
Is there going to be a Valhalla 3 that looks a Schiit-Ton better than the V2 or V1? One that would have both balanced and single-ended 'phone connections onboard.
I think you need 2x the tubes for balanced, no room.

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #142,327 of 151,406
Also called helicopter tape - but not sure I'd trust a TAPED helicopter!
For that, you need 3M VHB tape. Amazing stuff. When applied properly between two pieces of metal it can replace welding in many applications. But I still don’t want to fly in a helicopter that’s been taped together regardless of the tape. :smile:

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #142,328 of 151,406
... without that paycheck, "work" from home might become "work" from CE36C4E3-BB92-4125-8ABC-56B3D9C021CD.jpeg 🤷🏻‍♂️😳🤣
As long as it has (optical) fiber and 208 3-phase coming in, I'll be happy! :laughing: It looks like the regular fiber is already there are ready to go! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #142,329 of 151,406
As long as it has (optical) fiber and 208 3-phase coming in, I'll be happy! :laughing: It looks like the regular fiber is already there are ready to go! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Mowing the roof must be a real pain. :thinking:

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #142,330 of 151,406
Aegir 2 update (with a Freya + surprise):

Got home a bit early and got to spend a bit of time with Aegir 2. At one point I was rather disappointed as it had a very narrow soundstage as if mono and instruments were missing in some recordings as if out of phase. I double-checked everything and all was connected correctly. I dug out some test tones to check and the left speaker tone presented itself dead center between the speakers as did the right test tone -- no moving L and R. Phase test was fine for in-phase, but for the out-of-phase test, there was virtually no output. I was thinking that perhaps I had a defective unit. As a last resort, I unplugged the SE cable feeding my powered subwoofer and moved the SE cable feeding Aegir 2 over to the other RCA out. Everything sounded fine -- wide soundstage, missing instruments re-appeared, etc. Plugged the SE cable feeding my sub back in and back to collapsed soundstage, mono, and missing instruments. This was freaking weird. I dug up a really long pair of RCA cables to feed the sub and all was fine again. The only difference was I was originally running an RCA Y-cable out to 1 single RCA cable and then splitting it back out via a Y-splitter at the subwoofer. (It was easier to route and conceal a single cable.) Seems that Freya+ does not like having a stereo SE output combined. Never experienced the issue previously because the GHorns were connected via balanced XLR with sub connected via the combined SE outputs, so all sounded fine. This was never an issue with Rag v1 either. Maybe what I did is a no-no and this result is to be expected, but I've never experienced this with anything other than Freya+. Oh, well. A lesson learned.

Not prepared to say anything in-depth about Aegir 2 just yet. Did not get to spend much time after getting it sorted out and I need more time. So far so good, however. :wink:

Any Halo effect heard?

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #142,331 of 151,406
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #142,332 of 151,406
Any Halo effect heard?

Nothing yet. After identifying and resolving my issue, I listened to about 2 minutes of music and called it a night. I need to spend a bit more time.

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #142,333 of 151,406
Mar 8, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #142,334 of 151,406

Where do you see the fiber? Looks like it's 100% wireless to me.

:beerchug:
JC

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #142,335 of 151,406
Don't they still drink beer warm?
So, that depends. If you get a lager it will be cold, as will Guinness. Real ales and best Bitters are best drunk cellar cool, you will actually get more flavour that way. If it's a hot day, you get a cold lager. But it is the UK, not so many hot days.

Even after living here for over a decade, I'm still unconvinced by the American obsession with always having everything ice cold to the point you can't taste it. Some people even chill red wine. You suggest that to someone French and they will shudder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back