Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #142,277 of 151,868
IMG_7467.jpeg
I believe @bcowen is almost done loading and should be heading out west soon, 🤪 If the amp I built for him bounces off the truck he is NOT getting another.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #142,278 of 151,868
... without that paycheck, "work" from home might become "work" from CE36C4E3-BB92-4125-8ABC-56B3D9C021CD.jpeg 🤷🏻‍♂️😳🤣
From the realty listing:
"Quaint fishing chalet with near instant access to the sea (possibly sooner). All the amenities your inner work-from-home Viking could desire: Organic grass roof - perfect grazing for your seagoing goat. Property features vintage old world hand crafted timbers and gaps. Needs a little TLC (totally long construction) and duct tape. Owner motivated to sell including philosopher's 'what-have-I-done' 3.62 legged contemplation bench. Accepting offers just over or way over $850k."

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #142,280 of 151,868
What were you using for a preamp before the MJ3? I have a Lyr3 and have thought about getting an MJ3 to replace it.
I had (and still have) an OG Jotunheim that I used to drive HPs and the stereo Aegir in my office. It works really well as both a preamp and a HP amp, and it sounds great.
It also has a True Multibit DAC card in it, which also sounds super.

Jotunheim is an amazing piece of kit at its price point, and when I sell it to my headphone-curious friend Glenn, I'll replace it with a Jotti 2, just because having a spare Nexus™ device in the house to convert SE to balanced and back is worth the price of admission.

To me, MJ3 simply sounds more fluid, smooth and dynamic as a preamp - it pairs perfectly with Aegir, IMHO. And MJ3 as a headphone amp... it's chill-bump-inducing when driven by either Yggy - AD-based or MiB.

p.s. MJ3 still gets warm when running as a preamplifier only, but not nearly as hot as it gets when it's running HPs. On my desk, two feet away, it's totally tolerable. What might be a little bit weirder having it on your desktop is the physical vibration that the choke induces in the chassis... I can only feel it when I touch the case or volume knob, though.

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #142,281 of 151,868
IMG_7467.jpeg
I believe @bcowen is almost done loading and should be heading out west soon, 🤪 If the amp I built for him bounces off the truck he is NOT getting another.

When did he get the new truck?

:ksc75smile:
JC

Mar 7, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #142,282 of 151,868
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #142,286 of 151,868
I like Writer's Tears. Good dram.

And yep, it's Irish whiskey with an e.
The official taster said:

Writers Tears was great! The Knappouge was the premium one I had to pay extra for. It was great but the one I liked best was the Irishman “champagne”.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #142,287 of 151,868
IMG_7467.jpeg
... it won't ... placed on the passenger seat, it'll stay ... it's sideways ☑️

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #142,288 of 151,868
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #142,289 of 151,868
IMG_7467.jpeg
The Incubus is being personally transported by me in a shockproof and bulletproof container I bought at a NASA yard sale. I considered hiring Brinks, but the cost was considerably higher than the bribe I would have to pay you to make a replacement. :smile:

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #142,290 of 151,868
One nitpicky point about the whole Aegir 2 experience, now that I have moved it into my office system:

It'd be nice if, when you placed an Asgard on top of it to use as a preamp, the rubber feet of the Asgard sat on the frame of the Aegir and not the heatsink. 😁

Incidentally, the setup in my office is:

Bifrost 2/64 -> Lokius -> Asgard 3 -> Aegir 2 -> Yamaha NS-690II

This is a small room and the Aegir is much better suited to this environment. It sounds awesome and the bass kicks hard when you're not overdriving the Aegir like in my larger rooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back