Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #140,101 of 152,853
Stubbs and Ironworks are… not what they once were…
Oh, Man, that's really sad to hear! I used to love going down to Stubbs , buying 2 lbs of brisket and a loaf of bread and a 6-pack of Shiner- to go. Great times.

I'm up in Fayetteville Arkansas now and we have some great 'Austin' BBQ-. Wright's BBQ is incredible. https://www.wrightsbbq.com
so if you're up in Arkansas give it a try.
We also have Central BBQ (from Memphis) and a good KC BBQ joint, Uncle Chubbs.
Being geographically positioned between Austin, Kansas City, and Memphis does have it's perks!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #140,102 of 152,853
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #140,103 of 152,853
The couple that lived next door to my parents were both at pretty high levels at IBM. Not C-suite, but well on up the ranks. I went home to visit one time and there was a plumbing company van parked in their driveway. Dad said that Brian (the neighbor) couldn't stand the corporate thing any more, went to a technical school at night for a couple years and earned some sort of certificate or degree in plumbing (I know nothing about it) and had started working for this local plumbing company. Said he'd never been happier and actually looked forward to going to work every day. A few years later I'm there to visit and there's a plumbing company van in the driveway, except this one has his last name on it. He'd started his own business, and although he certainly had the capability and intellect to expand it, he had no desire. He wanted to be out in that van every day doing the work himself. It's what made him happy.
Pretty similar story to my story. I too worked for IBM, and on 7/2021 I retired from corporate america. I started a Mobile Detail Business and I gotta tell you, I do not miss corporate America at all. As of right now, I have no desire of growing the business as far as employees and vehicles is concerne. It is nice to go to work and get paid at the end of the job. I do miss the larger paycheck, PTO and 401k match, However I do not miss the corporate bureaucracy.

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #140,105 of 152,853
there's always one of you Carolinians... LMAO
Ex-Carolinian. They kicked me out. And then @sam6550a kicked me out of Georgia. So with apologies in advance, I'll shortly be about 2 hours away from you in a place named (apparently fittingly) the same as a nuclear bomb that's gone missing. 🤣

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #140,106 of 152,853
It's the unregulated capitalist greed of companies like Meta and amazon actively monetizing everything its customers' personal data.
FTFY. <g>

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #140,107 of 152,853
Ex-Carolinian. They kicked me out. And then @sam6550a kicked me out of Georgia. So with apologies in advance, I'll shortly be about 2 hours away from you in a place named (apparently fittingly) the same as a nuclear bomb that's gone missing. 🤣
You would choose a location where your presence is a minor event.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #140,108 of 152,853
You wold choose a location where your presence is a minor event.
Of course. However, I asked them to forego the parade and honorary 'key to the city' ceremony and put the money towards scholarships for Cardboard Science majors. Least I could do. :smile:

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #140,109 of 152,853
I did actually get a brisket sandwich at Salt Lick in the Airport.... it was good. I live in Philly and we don't get good bbq.
.... but the cheese steak subs with actual Cheez Whiz 😋🤪😋🤪 .... plus 🍺 !!!

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #140,110 of 152,853
For your evening pleasure. They also have a recent album that I recommend.

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #140,111 of 152,853
.... but the cheese steak subs with actual Cheez Whiz 😋🤪😋🤪 .... plus 🍺 !!!
Actually I am a freak that way. Can't eat the whiz. In high school I worked at a place making cheesesteaks. The whiz was nasty. Had a putrid smell at the end of a shift.

Went to Stubbs. I'd say it was good. Obviously better than anything I cam get at home although the Salt Lick Briskett was better.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #140,113 of 152,853
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #140,114 of 152,853
So sorry to see that amazing car on the hook.
This is not exactly the same, but oh so beautiful. YMMV (Always wanted to say that in reference to an actual car. :relaxed:

hubba, hubba! Silver?

(f..! that who cares!, that would look gorgeous in any color. Well, maybe not :poop:)

(then there's this, that the entire household agrees on if we find enough change in the sofa cushions:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/0...-company-designed-a-modern-coupe-the-aeromax/)
aeromax-photos-066-800x531.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #140,115 of 152,853
Oh, Man, that's really sad to hear! I used to love going down to Stubbs , buying 2 lbs of brisket and a loaf of bread and a 6-pack of Shiner- to go. Great times.

I'm up in Fayetteville Arkansas now and we have some great 'Austin' BBQ-. Wright's BBQ is incredible. https://www.wrightsbbq.com
so if you're up in Arkansas give it a try.
We also have Central BBQ (from Memphis) and a good KC BBQ joint, Uncle Chubbs.
Being geographically positioned between Austin, Kansas City, and Memphis does have it's perks!
I like that town a lot. Very cool vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back