Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 7, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #138,856 of 149,441
Feb 7, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #138,857 of 149,441
+1

I've owned a lot of Schiit over the years, and Gumby A2 + Freya-N have brought my rig as close to end-game as it's ever been. They're truly remarkable pieces of Schiit.

The same goes for Syn in my home theater. I feel it's the most inventive product they've yet produced, and a game changer.

Agree 100%. My Gumby is an A1 with audio piped to it via a M1 Mac Mini and a DDC to Gumby's COAX in. Add some wonderful tubes to the Freya and I'm near the end game. I still want to add a Mjolnir 3 to the stack this year. Lots of other Schiit on my wish list, but for now, the listening in my main Schiit stack is fantastic.

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #138,858 of 149,441
Feb 7, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #138,859 of 149,441
Feb 7, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #138,860 of 149,441
I had a pair of "wow" moments with my Schiit last evening, which is leading me to a question (that likely only I can answer).

The audio chain was the Mac Mini->Gumby->Freya N with Telefunken ECC88's->Lokius->Magni Piety->Hifiman Sundara headphones. I was listening to Neil young's "American Stars 'n Bars" album when "Will to Love" came on. While listening to it, I was hearing the occasional loud noise. I thought it was my youngest Border collie having a case of the zoomies and tossing his hard Nylabone around the family room's hardwood flooring on the other side of the wall. It was distracting so I took off the phones and...silence. Phones back on - the loud noise. Off - silence. Turns out Neil recorded the song in his cabin in front of a lit fireplace. I was hearing the pop and crackle of the fire that sounded so 3D I thought it was in the next room.

Next up was Frank Zappa's "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore - Volume 1" Now, the Sundaras don't have a particularly wide sound stage. I use my AKG 712 Pro's for when I want wide, usually for live recordings and Jazz. Frank started talking at the beginning of the first track and his voice was wayyy outside my head, like 3-4 feet to my left at the 9:30-10:00 position. I had to look at the headphone stand to see if I was mistaken when I thought I put on the Sundaras. Nope. The 712's were still on the stand. Even so, I had never heard sound appear so wide before. The music continued and extended that gorgeous 3d-width. Insert Schiit-eating grin here.

Both instances were very 3D, a sure combo of the Gumby and Freya N + Tubes + recording. I was and am thrilled that I'm getting so much out of the Schiit stack. The Gumby has been an absolute game changer for my listening.

So, the question I'm struggling with is, if this pair of mid-fi cans (plus the HD-650's in the other stack, and Ghosts in my basement office) are giving me such joy end enjoyment, do I need to look at higher-end cans? I have been seriously looking at Focal Clear MG's, Hifiman Arya Organic, and the Sennheiser HD 800S, all the same price at about $2k Canadian (ouch!). my wallet is burning a hole in my pocket. I haven't heard any of these yet but I'm wondering with my tinnitis and lower acuity in my left ear, will the difference between what I have and the higher-end cans be that much greater and obvious? Will I get that much more out of the music, hear more, etc, or am I chasing that additional 5-10% more for 4x the cost of curent cans? How diminishing are the returns here? Something I'll be pondering for a little while as I obsesssivley read up on those headphones and likley others.

After reading a lot about how well they scale, I bought a pair of Sundaras last December and then ordered a MJ3.

If the Sundaras are as good as I think they ultimately can be then I'm set with my endgame HP rig. If not then I can still look around for something better to go with the MJ3.

Of course, YMMV.

:beerchug:
JC

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #138,861 of 149,441
I need some advice on selling some excess equipment I've accumulated.

In all the years I've been in this hobby I've never sold anything, I just gave unwanted items away, and stuff I liked died a natural death or went on the shelf as Designated for Assignment.

That shelf is starting to heave a bit now, so it's time for a cull.

First, where is the best place to sell, in your experience? Are eBay or Amazon viable options?

How do you price it, assuming near NIB condition?

What precautions do you take when selling it?

How do you receive payment?

Is selling CONUS only a good strategy?

Most of the stuff I have will be three digit priced, so it won't be the end of the world if a deal goes south.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #138,863 of 149,441
Hey all,

Just a brief moment to note the passing of the Yggdrasil OG. It has gone into the ether, after one of the longest DAC runs in history.

If you missed it, and still want one, I suspect a couple will end up on B-Stock. If you want something with the same D/A converters, the Yggdrasil GS2 will continue to be available until we are out of Analog 1 boards. I won't estimate a time for that; see Jason's Law.

Beyond that, Yggdrasil LIM and MIB live on!

All the best,
Jason
1707314623067.png

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #138,864 of 149,441
After reading a lot about how well they scale, I bought a pair of Sundaras last December and then ordered a MJ3.

If the Sundaras are as good as I think they ultimately can be then I'm set with my endgame HP rig. If not then I can still look around for something better to go with the MJ3.

Of course, YMMV.

:beerchug:
JC

The Sundaras are a wonderful headset, huge bang for the buck IMO. I think you'll be very pleased with them.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #138,865 of 149,441
I need some advice on selling some excess equipment I've accumulated.

In all the years I've been in this hobby I've never sold anything, I just gave unwanted items away, and stuff I liked died a natural death or went on the shelf as Designated for Assignment.

That shelf is starting to heave a bit now, so it's time for a cull.

First, where is the best place to sell, in your experience? Are eBay or Amazon viable options?

How do you price it, assuming near NIB condition?

What precautions do you take when selling it?

How do you receive payment?

Is selling CONUS only a good strategy?

Most of the stuff I have will be three digit priced, so it won't be the end of the world if a deal goes south.

I can't speak to most of your questions as I haven't sold any of my audio gear yet, but US Audio Mart is a good place to start. Lots of listings there that you can use for guidance on pricing, description, rating appearance, etc. I've bought a few things from its Canadian counterpart Canuck Audio Mart.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #138,868 of 149,441
The Sundara's are very good. They're my favorite just after my RS2x's. Just bought my seventh piece of Schiit gear. An Asgard 3 that was B stock just sitting there looking for a new home. My hope is that it drives my Grado's with a bit more authority than my Magni 3+ does. If not, then oh well I still have a new toy to play with.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #138,870 of 149,441
I So, the question I'm struggling with is, if this pair of mid-fi cans (plus the HD-650's in the other stack, and Ghosts in my basement office) are giving me such joy end enjoyment, do I need to look at higher-end cans?
No.

Pretty much any set of quality headphones and any Schiit stack will give you full musical enjoyment, with 99% of the audio information 'the artist intended' you to hear being available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back