Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 6, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #138,827 of 151,180
Recent Caol Ila talk had me seaking a pour of my own. Currently sat at a favorite local watering hole that never charges secondary pricing for anything they offer - just last week I had a pour of BTAC Eagle Rare 17 for a couple of tenners at this spot.

IMG_6435.jpeg

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #138,828 of 151,180
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #138,829 of 151,180
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #138,831 of 151,180
Recent Caol Ila talk had me seaking a pour of my own. Currently sat at a favorite local watering hole that never charges secondary pricing for anything they offer - just last week I had a pour of BTAC Eagle Rare 17 for a couple of tenners at this spot.

Mmmm, $20 well spent. Such things do not last long in my house since I share. Nothing like fine audio with fine whiskey.

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #138,832 of 151,180
It is so good to see those got into good hands. Made to the specs of a fine gentleman I had the pleasure to meet, @FLTWS. I raise a dram of 21 year old Balvenie to him. I shipped the ebony top after he had received the VU meter box, a bit of sanding would help the fit. 😉

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #138,833 of 151,180
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #138,834 of 151,180
Mmmm, $20 well spent. Such things do not last long in my house since I share. Nothing like fine audio with fine whiskey.
Very much agreed. 🥃:)

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #138,835 of 151,180
Oh, that Floating Points / Pharaoh Sanders album is soooooo goooood! What a musical treasure it is.
I heard a bit of it tonight, I will put it on in my shop tomorrow for an extended listen. As I work I switch over to a solid state system that is as close to tubes as I can get.😉

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #138,836 of 151,180
I heard a bit of it tonight, I will put it on in my shop tomorrow for an extended listen. As I work I switch over to a solid state system that is as close to tubes as I can get.😉
It's a whole sound world all its own. It made quite a splash among jazz fans, classical fans, electronic fans, and a whole lot of others in between when it was released.

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #138,837 of 151,180
There is a whisky, but as a blend is most likely sourced. Nothing wrong with that, blending is an art, and there are many, many, many fine examples. This is a celebrity owned brand, which is more a YMMV situation. Can be quite good. Can be… less good.
TY for that lucinda williams and tribute album for Townes suggestion. CD arriving tomorrow if the postal gods smile on us.

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #138,838 of 151,180
Hopefully it is prettier than @bcowens, I gave seven such amps away and then I moved on to other builds. Finnegan needed his own chess board and his will must be obeyed.😜
Finnegan must indeed be a ChessShire Cat. Cats have a constant smile but in truth their grin is within and gladly shared with the soul of all who enter their home. I like cats and dogs. Unlike oil and water the two can mix and be both the Yin and Yang of one's life and in doing so make a house more of a home.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #138,840 of 151,180
I had a pair of "wow" moments with my Schiit last evening, which is leading me to a question (that likely only I can answer).

The audio chain was the Mac Mini->Gumby->Freya N with Telefunken ECC88's->Lokius->Magni Piety->Hifiman Sundara headphones. I was listening to Neil young's "American Stars 'n Bars" album when "Will to Love" came on. While listening to it, I was hearing the occasional loud noise. I thought it was my youngest Border collie having a case of the zoomies and tossing his hard Nylabone around the family room's hardwood flooring on the other side of the wall. It was distracting so I took off the phones and...silence. Phones back on - the loud noise. Off - silence. Turns out Neil recorded the song in his cabin in front of a lit fireplace. I was hearing the pop and crackle of the fire that sounded so 3D I thought it was in the next room.

Next up was Frank Zappa's "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore - Volume 1" Now, the Sundaras don't have a particularly wide sound stage. I use my AKG 712 Pro's for when I want wide, usually for live recordings and Jazz. Frank started talking at the beginning of the first track and his voice was wayyy outside my head, like 3-4 feet to my left at the 9:30-10:00 position. I had to look at the headphone stand to see if I was mistaken when I thought I put on the Sundaras. Nope. The 712's were still on the stand. Even so, I had never heard sound appear so wide before. The music continued and extended that gorgeous 3d-width. Insert Schiit-eating grin here.

Both instances were very 3D, a sure combo of the Gumby and Freya N + Tubes + recording. I was and am thrilled that I'm getting so much out of the Schiit stack. The Gumby has been an absolute game changer for my listening.

So, the question I'm struggling with is, if this pair of mid-fi cans (plus the HD-650's in the other stack, and Ghosts in my basement office) are giving me such joy end enjoyment, do I need to look at higher-end cans? I have been seriously looking at Focal Clear MG's, Hifiman Arya Organic, and the Sennheiser HD 800S, all the same price at about $2k Canadian (ouch!). my wallet is burning a hole in my pocket. I haven't heard any of these yet but I'm wondering with my tinnitis and lower acuity in my left ear, will the difference between what I have and the higher-end cans be that much greater and obvious? Will I get that much more out of the music, hear more, etc, or am I chasing that additional 5-10% more for 4x the cost of curent cans? How diminishing are the returns here? Something I'll be pondering for a little while as I obsesssivley read up on those headphones and likley others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back