Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #138,526 of 150,571
Far be it from me to suggest anything posted in this thread is off-topic, but there is a complete "what's spinning" music thread on Head-Fi... and another could be started for those wishing to share musical choices and suggestions. But hey, if you think it fits better here go for it. It's easy enough to scroll on by.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-are-you-listening-to-right-now.253245/

Great suggestion for starting a thread for classical music listeners.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #138,527 of 150,571
For all the folks posting pics of classical music, I’m surprised that there isn’t more contemporary classical stuff, like Ludovico Einaudi and Max Richter etc. not judging, just wondering if I’m on an island musically listening to contemporary artists more than the legends of the past.
I like the "The Blue Notebooks" and 'Invasion"

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #138,528 of 150,571
Yeah I listen to those but nothing beats Purcell, Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Debussy, Ravel, Mendelssohn, etc.

Listened live yesterday to Haydn’s Symphony no. 104 (London) just for calibration purposes. :)
Totally fair point!

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #138,529 of 150,571
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #138,530 of 150,571
So I'm very pleased with the Freya N as the analog hub of my system.

My question is about the differential buffer. Right now the only true balanced heaphone amp I'm using is the Erzetich Medousa.The question is should I be using the passive mode in Freya with volume at max or the differential buffer mode? Both are 0db gain.

Right now the Yggy is running balanced to the Freya N to the Medousa. I'm using the Diana V2 balanced out of the Medousa.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #138,531 of 150,571
I'm mostly in it for the Schiit gear, and Headphone choices. The music is secondary

IMG_2678.jpeg

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #138,533 of 150,571
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #138,534 of 150,571
So I'm very pleased with the Freya N as the analog hub of my system.

My question is about the differential buffer. Right now the only true balanced heaphone amp I'm using is the Erzetich Medousa.The question is should I be using the passive mode in Freya with volume at max or the differential buffer mode? Both are 0db gain.

Right now the Yggy is running balanced to the Freya N to the Medousa. I'm using the Diana V2 balanced out of the Medousa.

@Jason Stoddard should explain the use of balanced connections with passive preamp modes. I suspect balanced should not be used in passive mode.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #138,535 of 150,571
Any opera fans on here who also have an opinion on what they think is the best Wagner Ring Cycle recording? Looking for full cycles, not individual operas.

I've got the old vinyl box sets of the Solti cycle and have worked my way through a bit of that but am always curious what other people like. Are there any modern cycles that are well regarded?

Currently browsing my way through a selection of gins produced at my distillery. 😎

IMG_6400.jpeg
I am considering making a serving board with small cutouts for whiskey sampling glasses, if I am happy with the results I will try to send you a sample, with cut outs for this style glass.IMG_7238.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #138,536 of 150,571
Far be it from me to suggest anything posted in this thread is off-topic, but there is a complete "what's spinning" music thread on Head-Fi... and another could be started for those wishing to share musical choices and suggestions. But hey, if you think it fits better here go for it. It's easy enough to scroll on by.
Guilty as charged. I'm trying to limit my musical recommendations here, but virtually (pun intended) all my HF friends are on this thread. If I run across something that I think sounds exceptional through my Schiit gear, I like to let my Schiit friends know. It must be exceptional in my mind and worthy of sharing. It may not be what I'm listening to right now, but it is something I ran across that I think others here might enjoy.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #138,537 of 150,571
@Jason Stoddard should explain the use of balanced connections with passive preamp modes. I suspect balanced should not be used in passive mode.
It's addressed (briefly) in the FAQ - https://www.schiit.com/products/kara

So I can run Kara fully passive, no gain stage at all?
Yes, no problem. Just don’t expect it to convert single-ended to balanced or anything like that. It is, after all, passive.

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #138,539 of 150,571

There are basically two reasons to use the differential buffer:
  • You want to convert a SE input to balanced output (without tubes)
  • You want to ensure consistent low output impedance, SE 75ohm or balanced 600ohm.

Passive mode will have variable output impedance depending on attenuator setting. At max gain, you will have minimal output impedance in passive mode so buffer mode won't really offer any benefit.

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #138,540 of 150,571
For all the folks posting pics of classical music, I’m surprised that there isn’t more contemporary classical stuff, like Ludovico Einaudi and Max Richter etc. not judging, just wondering if I’m on an island musically listening to contemporary artists more than the legends of the past.
I love them both. They're fantastic composers. So, you're not alone, mate :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back