Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #137,446 of 150,574
I originally posted this on the Loki Max thread a few days ago, but not sure if @Jason Stoddard monitors that thread. So sorry for the repost here but...

@Jason Stoddard question for you if you please. I'm a very happy owner of a Mjolnir-3 and a Vidar-2. I am considering adding a Lokius to my stack. In your FAQ for the Lokius you write "Lokius is an inductor-capacitor equalizer. Meaning it uses inductors. Inductors are coils of wire. Think of them like little antennas. They will pick up stray magnetic field from other components if they are too close." And in the FAQ for the Vidar-2 you write "It has serious power reserves, with a 600VA transformer and 40,000uF of filter capacitance..."

Due to the limitations of my space, the Lokius would have to sit next to (not on top of) the Vidar 2, maybe 3-4" of clear space between them. Is that what you'd consider too close? Thanks in advance.
I strongly suspect 3-4" alongside will be just about ok , but only just

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #137,447 of 150,574
Speaking of "appovals", after receiving a Valhalla 2 for my work desktop, I noticed this re-boxing my Vali 2++
IMG_5796.png

The most important approval is from the Mrs. to buy, if not approved or over bought, everything will be thrown away. :ksc75smile:

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #137,448 of 150,574
Speaking of "appovals", after receiving a Valhalla 2 for my work desktop, I noticed this re-boxing my Vali 2++

That's OK. It only causes cancer in California. You are in Washington, so you're good. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #137,449 of 150,574
An even better notion - that building three low cost good quality cables (i.e. from Mogami, Canare, and Klotz) and choosing the one that best synergises with your system, is probably going to give a better outcome than blindly buying an $X,000 cable.

Synergy is king.

Andrew
Very true, with plenty of money left over for a ham sandwich.

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #137,450 of 150,574
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #137,451 of 150,574
Thanks for trying, and letting us know about the surge protector. My previous experience is that surge protectors stifle the sound, and is the equivalent of trying to discern a difference when powering up your equipment through cables made of wet string (okay, a harsh analogy but gives the picture).

If you can, try the test while removing the surge protector (unless your mains and gear is susceptible to gear-destroying surges).

Cheers,

Andrew
I will take the surge protector out for the test, but I should note that my apartment's electricity setup is not ideal (50+ year old building which I love but there are downsides), so I am not going to take the surge protector out beyond the test, just so I don't lose any of my devices to surges etc. Here's a question: if I somehow DO hear a difference, what can I do to keep the devices safe? TLDR I am not against testing it, but I wouldnt have my devices straight to the outlet(s) so this is mainly an exercise in trying things for fun.

I'm pretty busy during the week throughout this month, so I'll likely test it this weekend.

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #137,452 of 150,574
Thanks for trying, and letting us know about the surge protector. My previous experience is that surge protectors stifle the sound, and is the equivalent of trying to discern a difference when powering up your equipment through cables made of wet string (okay, a harsh analogy but gives the picture).

If you can, try the test while removing the surge protector (unless your mains and gear is susceptible to gear-destroying surges).

Cheers,

Andrew

What type of surge protector do you have that experience with?

My experience with Furman line filtering products is the opposite.

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #137,453 of 150,574
@bcowan can you list suppliers and part #s for the components please?

Ta!
I bought all this stuff quite a while back, so it's gonna be hard to find direct links today. The Furutech plugs are available from a number of vendors, just a matter of shopping around for the best price. You can get them with contacts in bare copper, gold plated, silver plated, and rhodium plated. They aren't cheap, but they are an absolute work of art in manufacturing quality. Some of them I've installed and reinstalled 7 or 8 times, and the screw clamps still work like new (lesser plugs will have the screw threads strip out or gall after just the first time or two). Do the Furutechs "sound" better than other good quality plugs from Marinco or Hubbell or ????? Hell if I know. Never tried any sonic comparison, and likely never will. I just like the Furutechs personally, and for the quality they're worth the cost....to me. The wire in that particular cord is 12 gauge Oyaide Black Mamba V2 which was a LOT cheaper back when I bought it. Some people buy individual wires and then braid or twist them or whatever, but I prefer buying bulk cable, cut it to length and then add the connectors (and maybe some sleeving if I feel like dressing it up.

Greenie.jpg

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #137,454 of 150,574
I don't think this is UL approved? :unamused:

** Before anyone undertakes such a task using Bill's specs/information, they should probably know that @bcowen is moving to OK because he burned his GA house down. Just sayin'.

OK. Maybe not, but only by the grace of God. :smirk:
And like burning down the house is *not* an acceptable risk in the pursuit of audio perfection? Are you OK? :laughing:

Jan 25, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #137,455 of 150,574
I bought all this stuff quite a while back, so it's gonna be hard to find direct links today. The Furutech plugs are available from a number of vendors, just a matter of shopping around for the best price. You can get them with contacts in bare copper, gold plated, silver plated, and rhodium plated. They aren't cheap, but they are an absolute work of art in manufacturing quality. Some of them I've installed and reinstalled 7 or 8 times, and the screw clamps still work like new (lesser plugs will have the screw threads strip out or gall after just the first time or two). Do the Furutechs "sound" better than other good quality plugs from Marinco or Hubbell or ????? Hell if I know. Never tried any sonic comparison, and likely never will. I just like the Furutechs personally, and for the quality they're worth the cost....to me. The wire in that particular cord is 12 gauge Oyaide Black Mamba V2 which was a LOT cheaper back when I bought it. Some people buy individual wires and then braid or twist them or whatever, but I prefer buying bulk cable, cut it to length and then add the connectors (and maybe some sleeving if I feel like dressing it up.

Looks like Oyaide realized its worth. $70/meter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154330066580

Furutech not too bad though.
https://www.thecableco.com/furutech.html

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #137,456 of 150,574
For an extension cord from an outlet, in this case 20 amp, I use these around the RV and, ahem, ahhhh, maybe, possibly on rare occasions other places where you want a plug that actually grips and lets the current through and retains it grip.
IMG_20240125_132410957.jpg

Some might balk at my local hardware stores price. It's for illustration. So similar plugs that carry 20 amps with ease and keep their grip with use is the idea. I realize indoors you're less likely to step on the plug and crack the plastic....

If it's on display I would probably go the bcowen route. Especially if you like making stuff you have to see everyday! :)

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...VHIRaBR0O9ArrEAQYAiABEgJ4S_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

While we're at it a lot of residential wall outlets are, let's say, a bit marginal?

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #137,457 of 150,574
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #137,458 of 150,574
I am sure you understand what that means… Andretti is not saying he doesn’t brake. He brakes as hard as possible, as late as possible, to accelerate hard at the apex and reduce lap time. Anyway, I’m not here to discuss sports car driving. :)
There are many subtle aspects to this, but he's probably referring to the use of brakes as a weight transfer tool, so you can stay on the outer perimeter of your traction circle as much as possible (eg. trail braking). Braking is often the last thing any driver masters, even in the professional ranks, and can be the main difference between a fast driver and a really fast driver.

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #137,459 of 150,574
Looks like Oyaide realized its worth. $70/meter.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154330066580

Furutech not too bad though.
https://www.thecableco.com/furutech.html
As best I remember the Oyaide was around $40/meter when I bought it. So, yeah...much higher. Just with a quick search, that's as good a price as any I've seen on the FI-11 (copper) Furutechs from Cable Company though.

A few other places I've frequented over the years for parts (wire, sleeving, shrink tube, plugs, etc) that typically have good prices and have always given me good service. There are good vendors on Ebay as well, just have to be careful as both Oyaide and Furutech get counterfeited a lot.

Parts Connexion. In Canada, but delivery time to the US has always been pretty quick:
https://partsconnexion.com/

Sonic Craft
https://soniccraft.com/

TakeFive Audio. Also in Canada, but quick delivery times with them as well.
https://www.takefiveaudio.com/categories/c1-diy-audio-supplies

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #137,460 of 150,574
I like my headphones and they sound good but I find all headphones to be uncomfortable to wear for long periods. My current corded setup is also not practical for me to move around much.

Not sure if I am qualified to comment, but FWIW:
I use a pair of Senn HD-600 and like them very much. My older grandson was thinking of buying a pair, having found mine pleasing. But he ended up with Meze Audio 99 Classics--both because they are closed back, and are so comfortable. I can't believe how comfortable they are!
Cheers, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back