Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #137,461 of 151,178
Not sure if I am qualified to comment, but FWIW:
I use a pair of Senn HD-600 and like them very much. My older grandson was thinking of buying a pair, having found mine pleasing. But he ended up with Meze Audio 99 Classics--both because they are closed back, and are so comfortable. I can't believe how comfortable they are!
Cheers, Jim

I actually have a set of HD-6XX. :D I still find them bothersome to wear, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #137,462 of 151,178
As best I remember the Oyaide was around $40/meter when I bought it. So, yeah...much higher. Just with a quick search, that's as good a price as any I've seen on the FI-11 (copper) Furutechs from Cable Company though.

A few other places I've frequented over the years for parts (wire, sleeving, shrink tube, plugs, etc) that typically have good prices and have always given me good service for parts. There are good vendors on Ebay as well, just have to be careful as both Oyaide and Furutech get counterfeited a lot.

Parts Connexion. In Canada, but delivery time to the US has always been pretty quick:
https://partsconnexion.com/

Sonic Craft
https://soniccraft.com/

TakeFive Audio. Also in Canada, but quick delivery times with them as well.
https://www.takefiveaudio.com/categories/c1-diy-audio-supplies

I'm a fan of the Pangea line of AC cables. Audio Advisor is local to me and good folks.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/pangea-audio-power-cables

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #137,463 of 151,178
I will take the surge protector out for the test, but I should note that my apartment's electricity setup is not ideal (50+ year old building which I love but there are downsides), so I am not going to take the surge protector out beyond the test, just so I don't lose any of my devices to surges etc. Here's a question: if I somehow DO hear a difference, what can I do to keep the devices safe? TLDR I am not against testing it, but I wouldnt have my devices straight to the outlet(s) so this is mainly an exercise in trying things for fun.

I'm pretty busy during the week throughout this month, so I'll likely test it this weekend.
If you have concern about the electrics, ask for an electrical safety check and ensure the building is earthed with a lightning conductor.

If there is a surge, it will not be anything to do with the house. For example if there is a problem with an outside substation or nearby factory.

Andrew

Jan 25, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #137,464 of 151,178
I actually have a set of HD-6XX. :D I still find them bothersome to wear, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Meze Liric are amazingly comfortable. They Empyreans were the most comfortable. The DCA aeon noire 2 and Stealth are very comfortable. All my focals are very comfortable too.

I had the AKG712 for a bit. Found them comfortable too. And they were pretty inexpensive.

My corded setup is made better by a massage chair.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #137,465 of 151,178
There are many subtle aspects to this, but he's probably referring to the use of brakes as a weight transfer tool, so you can stay on the outer perimeter of your traction circle as much as possible (eg. trail braking). Braking is often the last thing any driver masters, even in the professional ranks, and can be the main difference between a fast driver and a really fast driver.

You said it: “[Braking] can be the main difference between a fast driver and a really fast driver”.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #137,466 of 151,178
Meze Liric are amazingly comfortable. They Empyreans were the most comfortable. The DCA aeon noire 2 and Stealth are very comfortable. All my focals are very comfortable too.

I had the AKG712 for a bit. Found them comfortable too. And they were pretty inexpensive.

My corded setup is made better by a massage chair.

That's great and all but completely not what I'm looking for. I need recommendations for speakers to go with the Rekkr, not more headphones.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #137,467 of 151,178
While we're at it a lot of residential wall outlets are, let's say, a bit marginal?
That's being very polite. :laughing: Especially the contractor-grade outlets where the Romex is stripped and pushed straight into a hole in the back to be gripped by some flimsy piece of bent metal. Those things suck with a capital S. Got noise in your system? Start there. :laughing:

Fess-up time: I did buy one of those fancy Furutech outlets a while back ($100 at the time) and actually tried to do a comparison. Now trying to do an A/B comparison with a wall outlet is fraught with problems, the foremost being our fallible short-term sonic memory. So lacking the means to be even remotely scientific about it, the first thing I did was replace the crap contractor grade outlet with a good Leviton (more on that below). At least level the playing field to the extent possible. Then I listened for a week -- a couple hours a night to the same 5 songs multiple times. Then I put the Furutech in and listened to the same 5 songs every night for another week. And finally, I put the Leviton back in and listened for a few nights. I really expected to hear a difference, so my preconceived notions were in favor of the Furutech. Well.....I can't honestly say I heard any difference. At least not a recognizable difference that would justify a $5 outlet versus a $100 one. As with their plugs, the Furutech was a work of art from the standpoint of manufacturing quality. No argument there, and impeccable quality impresses me. But sonically? I just couldn't hear any meaningful difference....even though I wanted to. Just being honest about it. That's just my experience and my opinion, of course. Someone else's mileage and opinion may be very different.

Back to the Levitons -- I really like the outlets linked below. Easy to install, as you can still just strip the end off the Romex and stick it in a hole in the back rather than having to wire-wrap it around the side screw(s). The difference is that the side screws on this operate an internal clamp, so rather than some flimsy piece of metal gripping the wire internally, the screw clamps a plate onto the wire. Very solid and tight connection, way more surface area involved between the outlet's inner contacts and the wire, and far easier than having to wire-wrap around the screw. And Leviton is just one brand that has this type configuration. I'm sure Pass and Seymour and others have similar offerings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00134AW5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Edit: For people like @Ripper2860 that would probably burn their house down :slight_smile:, if you are not knowledgeable or comfortable messing with the electrical outlets in your abode, PLEASE DON'T! A qualified electrician won't charge all that much if this is something you really want to do and are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #137,468 of 151,178
Have you tried the hybrid pads that Drop offers? Not only way more comfortable, but a nice step up sonically (IMO).

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #137,469 of 151,178
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #137,470 of 151,178
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #137,472 of 151,178
I have a couple of Pangea cables. They are well built and attractive. The AC-9 cables are THICK!
That’s the only one I didn’t like. I had to use a twist tie connected to the screw of the wall plug to keep it plugged in. I guess that’s why they sell the special outlets.

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #137,474 of 151,178
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #137,475 of 151,178
Well.....I can't honestly say I heard any difference. At least not a recognizable difference that would justify a $5 outlet versus a $100 one. As with their plugs, the Furutech was a work of art from the standpoint of manufacturing quality. No argument there, and impeccable quality impresses me. But sonically? I just couldn't hear any meaningful difference....even though I wanted to. Just being honest about it. That's just my experience and my opinion, of course. Someone else's mileage and opinion may be very different.
My experience has very much been the same. When I purchased my Duetta Sig's, I was very much pushed into purchasing a set of bi-wired Symo cables. After receiving my pair of Vidar's, placing them right behind each speaker, I decided to make my own short (3') set of speaker cables, using Canare 4S11G cable and some heavy spades sourced from Amazon. I honestly could hear no difference.... Selling the Symo's pretty much covered the cost of the Vidars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back