Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #136,217 of 149,455
I vote "aye!" on behalf of me and my clan!

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Scotland just before the start of the pandemic. We've fallen in love with the Isle of Skye and we'll be going back to spend more time there and in the western Isles. It's a landscape photographer's dream.

My wife and I were there about the same time for two weeks. We planned to return but, alas, COVID hit.

We went to the Orkneys and the ocean was really rough. Puke buckets widely distributed for people to grab. Quite a few were hugging the old bucket and giving it a go.:darthsmile: The atmosphere was krillish for sure.

While on the north end the next evening we went to an arranged ceilidh. It was a home of a local guy who has played at festivals all over. So the music was good, drinks were good, a wild thyme was had with little plankton in the room.

Afterwards one of the neighbors brought their two kids, a boy and a girl to play the bagpipes. The girl was a bit better than her bigger brother, truth be told her pipes emitted less plankton.

Seriously though, it was very inspiring to be with locals even though it was a planned event. People who were visibly proud of their children. And took pride in welcoming all. It wasn't expensive at all so it couldn't have been about just making a buck. Even if the kids weren't the best pipers yet, they were learning and doing their best. It was a mutually uplifting experience for all. You can't fake that. Maybe a little more of that would be a good thing. :)

The Hebrides is inspiring. So is the peat on Islay!:tumbler_glass:

sláinte

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #136,218 of 149,455
New Yggy flavor spotted in the wild:
PXL_20240114_164542475.jpg

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #136,219 of 149,455
Does anyone else who owns both the Yggy+ GS2 and either Yggy+ OG/A2 or Yggy MIB like your GS2 better than the others despite it being older and less expensive? I actually just shipped a return of my GS2 because I convinced myself (nearing end of return period) that the others were better, and I can certainly point to particular ways that they are, but I'm also having second thoughts because GS2 was special in its own way -- I think the best way to describe it is holographic. While I know it's down to my ears, I'd really like to hear others' opinions who have been in the same boat -- might help me work through it in my head.

Of course, there's a lot of new Schiit coming this year, so it might be moot in a few months...who knows.

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #136,220 of 149,455
Does anyone else who owns both the Yggy+ GS2 and either Yggy+ OG/A2 or Yggy MIB like your GS2 better than the others despite it being older and less expensive? I actually just shipped a return of my GS2 because I convinced myself (nearing end of return period) that the others were better, and I can certainly point to particular ways that they are, but I'm also having second thoughts because GS2 was special in its own way -- I think the best way to describe it is holographic. While I know it's down to my ears, I'd really like to hear others' opinions who have been in the same boat -- might help me work through it in my head.

Of course, there's a lot of new Schiit coming this year, so it might be moot in a few months...who knows.

Wow FOMO is real! I would've kept the GS2 and waited for the MIB boards. You save more money doing it that way. Wait even more for a LIM with discrete output stage "Less is Better"

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #136,222 of 149,455
My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Scotland just before the start of the pandemic. We've fallen in love with the Isle of Skye and we'll be going back to spend more time there and in the western Isles. It's a landscape photographer's dream.
+100 to this. I need to scan a ton of film negatives (mainly BW) I have from our 5 years in Scotland back 4 decades ago. Besides Skye and the Uists, we loved the Gairloch area in Wester Ross and Gatehouse of Fleet (Ayrshire) in the mainland. If you are interested in ancient and spectacular geology, Western Scotland also delivers -- more compellingly since modern geology originated in Scotland.

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #136,223 of 149,455
For "overhang" I'd have first assumed we were talking about setting up a phono cartridge.
Yes, overhang is part of turntable fiddliness, but I was speaking about perceptual acoustics. You know, how people try to describe what they hear. :)

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #136,224 of 149,455
In general audiophile parlance, "speed" is associated with attack or slew rate and "over-hang" is associated with decay or reverb.

Do those properties go hand in hand? I would have thought that transducers with good attack would also have good decay properties, since if you can quickly move a transducer to get the attack you should be able to stop it quickly to get precise echoey decay effects. Or is overhang here meant in a negative way, like a transducer not dampening quickly enough - unwanted reverb?

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #136,225 of 149,455
Since it's surrounded by ocean, by logical extension it's a plankton-rich environment. You're just way ahead of the curve. 🤣

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #136,226 of 149,455
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #136,227 of 149,455
Do those properties go hand in hand? I would have thought that transducers with good attack would also have good decay properties, since if you can quickly move a transducer to get the attack you should be able to stop it quickly to get precise echoey decay effects. Or is overhang here meant in a negative way, like a transducer not dampening quickly enough - unwanted reverb?

Slew rate is greatly affected by damping factor interactions of transducer and amp. The target is always critically damped and that's where the plankton happens :)

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #136,228 of 149,455
I like the term plankton.
I immediately identify it as referring to small details, the kind mediocre gear will tend to obscure. Of course equipment cannot create detail, it can only reveal (or not) what is on the recording.
I've long enjoyed the way Schiit gear presents musical details, without turning them into small sonic icepicks aimed at my tender ear drums.
Besides, it's fun to say "plankton." :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #136,229 of 149,455
For "overhang" I'd have first assumed we were talking about setting up a phono cartridge.

I think of the overhang of a FWD car, or a non-offroad car .... :)

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #136,230 of 149,455

Nervosa crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back